CompetitionPlus.com Forum

CompetitionPlus.com Forum (http://forum.competitionplus.com/index.php)
-   NHRA (http://forum.competitionplus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DSR Canopy/Capsule update.... (http://forum.competitionplus.com/showthread.php?t=9337)

Willy 03-23-2012 08:29 AM

DSR Canopy/Capsule update....

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...l-under-review

More to news to come..... ;)

RVT1000 03-23-2012 09:20 AM

After seeing just how high the windshields come up on the DSR cars I am calling BS on the safety aspect of their argument. The top of the windshields are over the tops of the driver's heads and are more than high enough to deflect a foreign object like a bird or stone. I don't see how enclosing the top will provide more driver safety. I can see, however, how it can help with aerodynamics.

oliver 03-23-2012 09:47 AM

All I gotta say is Gray & his peeps better do their homework.

slugbelch 03-23-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVT1000 (Post 131151)
After seeing just how high the windshields come up on the DSR cars I am calling BS on the safety aspect of their argument. The top of the windshields are over the tops of the driver's heads and are more than high enough to deflect a foreign object like a bird or stone. I don't see how enclosing the top will provide more driver safety. I can see, however, how it can help with aerodynamics.

I agree. Their current windshield is the best option as, like you said, its almost enclosed anyway.

Although the canopy would look more modern for todays old-style cars and Don's effort should be commended for trying, but like Bob V article says:

"It comes down to understanding what you have to sell and how you go about selling it. I think if I were the head of it [the NHRA] I would do things a lot differently. I would take advantage of some of the things that I think are key that would bring sponsors into the sport that typically aren't right now being used to what I think is in the best interest of the sport. You have to leverage the assets that you have," he said.

Note: you can easliy switch the word "sponsors" for "innovation" as well...

"And I think sometimes we don't look at the big picture. They [NHRA officials] look at the short-term money grab versus what would benefit the sport in the long term," he said. "Some of the things that we have here to sell, they make it a hindrance and harder on the teams than make it easier on the teams.

"That's the constant battle I fight with them every day out here is that they don't make it any easier on us. It seems like everything we're trying to do or trying to accomplish they make it harder on us. And that eventually doesn't work," Vandergriff said. "I would think that some of the decisions are made . . . How do I put this? . . .Some of the decisions that are made, I feel, are made from the easy-way-out standpoint instead of having to do a little bit of work to make it better. There's a lot of things that we do -- a lot of the decisions that are made -- are just done from the easy way out: 'I don't have to mess with that, then we don't have to do it" or 'I don't have time to police that.' or 'I don't have time to be doing all that.' For me, that's never the right answer."

Willy 03-26-2012 11:31 AM

CompetitionPlus' Susan Wade interviews designer James Brendel.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...-designer-asks

anotheridiot 03-26-2012 12:01 PM

the problem is we are not trying to keep water off of a driver. seriously, the DSR drivers are talking about hitting birds or bugs? thats what the helmet is for. Thats why they wear layers of fire protection. You know what the bigger problem is for me? not knowing you are on fire. keeping your foot in it with a blazing fire because you cant hear, see or feel it or winding up on their side against a wall and being trapped.

There are two sides to each argument, but bottom line, DSR is not the ones asking companies to insure their race events or protecting the NHRA from drivers families when this product, which has not been a necessity for 50 years is the cause for delay of driver extraction. I know it has the external handle, but how many of us have a hood that cannot open after a little tweak? Why cant they see its still a hinge on the front that makes the entire canopy tilt forward before a driver can be removed? Put a release pin on that hinge as well and pull two pins and remove the entire deal. They probably dont want that because it will interfere with the real cause of this apparatus, aerodynamics.

A/FX-Pro Stock 03-26-2012 12:02 PM

Implementing Safety Systems for Our Drivers

When Darrell Russell tragically lost His life at GateWay....seemed
just so little time went by before NHRA's requiring titanium protection on
the backside and on the top of the cockpit.

Why is NHRA's response on this DSR Canopy / Capsule showing itself
so redundantly assignine ?

Is NHRA waiting for a profit or royalty contracts or whatever ?

JEracing 03-26-2012 12:30 PM

The comparison to water racing is bunk.
I believe the high windshield is the solution and the shrouds on the side and on top accomplish the finished off look I believe they are really after.
I don't like the idea of making the problem more complex with a fire system and latching mechanisms. Also, Bill Miller made a good point about keeping weight off the car.

twintownterror 03-26-2012 01:34 PM

IMO a smaller windshield would create less of a low pressure area in the cockpit, which would then not pull fire into it. On my FED the difference between so much wind that it would try and pull my helmet off and no wind felt or heard was 1 1/2" (total height 6" when done). That was at 185 mph. The pocket of air would just get bigger as speed increases...

oliver 03-26-2012 02:41 PM

Don't get why the guy is gettin so defensive. It took him a long time to develop it so it's resonable that it would take some time to evaluate it. Plus he says it's "good" that NHRA's looking at it "real hard".