CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 01-01-2011

Yes indeed I was there when Mary Rife took Andretti for a squirt. Also saw Don Prudhomme take a crack at a Blown Fuel Hydro.

Remember Jack Ostrander? He would bring his "Guzzler" Blown Fuel Hydro to Long Beach each August for the nats from Michigan.

Dennis Pollacia in the "Godfather." Kenny West in the "Western Mag Special." Alos the famous "Smoke on the Water" with Sam Kurtovich were some bad hombres.

TopFuel@Lions
Old 01-01-2011

Proud Mary and Eddie Hill, 2 years ago in front of his motorcycle shop. About 5 minutes from my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nwBRVX75k
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Proud Mary and Eddie Hill, 2 years ago in front of his motorcycle shop. About 5 minutes from my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nwBRVX75k
awesome... i wish i had nitro motors firing up on my block! ya know, i never noticed it 'till that vid... the engine was facing backwards, the intake forwards, and it looked like the fuel tank or puke tank at the rear of the engine (forward in the boat), so any idea how the drivetrain connects? i would assume it connected at the front of the engine (rearward in the boat), just not sure how that works... especially if there's a tranny... any ideas?
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonabike View Post
any idea how the drivetrain connects? i would assume it connected at the front of the engine (rearward in the boat), just not sure how that works... especially if there's a tranny... any ideas?
Connected to the rear of the engine (front in the boat), to a 2 speed Lencodrive type transmission, which in turn is geared to a driveshaft going the other way - out the back to the props.

Watch a video of a top fuel hydro; it's easy to hear the shift.
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Connected to the rear of the engine (front in the boat), to a 2 speed Lencodrive type transmission, which in turn is geared to a driveshaft going the other way - out the back to the props.

Watch a video of a top fuel hydro; it's easy to hear the shift.
there just didn't seem to be any room at the rear of the engine with that tank in the way, but then, i can't really see over the edge of the boat in the vid... So, i'm guessing the tranny has (or, is) some sort of transfer case, maybe a 4-wheel drive type transfer case, that reverses the direction... Why go through that trouble, why not just face the engine forward (in the boat)?
Old 01-02-2011

Not enough room. The props don't hang way out the back of the boat - they're positioned in front of the rudder. Because of this and because the engine sits relatively high in the hull, the power transfer must go out the front (rear of engine), through a device called a VDrive which not only reverses direction, but gives the driveshaft - and the props - the correct downward angle for optimum power and stability.

Here's a typical VDrive unit; you can see the input shaft that attaches to the back of the engine, and the angled output shaft. http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/walte...55-121860.html
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Not enough room. The props don't hang way out the back of the boat - they're positioned in front of the rudder. Because of this and because the engine sits relatively high in the hull, the power transfer must go out the front (rear of engine), through a device called a VDrive which not only reverses direction, but gives the driveshaft - and the props - the correct downward angle for optimum power and stability.

Here's a typical VDrive unit; you can see the input shaft that attaches to the back of the engine, and the angled output shaft. http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/walte...55-121860.html
ah i c.... thanks for that info and link... that's a pretty interesting unit... and burly looking (though i assume the stresses on the drivetrain are a LOT less in the water than on land, even with a nitro engine).... my boat knowledge is limited to outboards on your basic water ski boats mostly (from my water skiing with the family on weekends)...
Old 01-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonabike View Post
I assume the stresses on the drivetrain are a LOT less in the water than on land, even with a nitro engine
I'm not an expert either, Rat. Example, I knew TF Hydros race from a moving start, but not a 50MPH flying start as someone pointed out to me a few months ago. As for driveline stress, you would think not so much, but these boats still accelerate awfully hard (260MPH in the 1320), so there's got to be some 1-to-1 hookup (enough to warrant a 2 speed tranny) sometime during the run, or close to it. I would imagine driveline carnage is still in play.

I have no idea what the application is for the VDrive in the link, but it's probably not a TF piece. Maybe an aspirated big block Chevy.
Old 01-02-2011

haha check this out... i was browsing for pics and info on tranny's and v-drives for boats, i stumbled upon this very ratty, homemade, chopped old Chevy van with a rear-engine mounted like in a boat, backwards, with some type of marine v-drive to reverse the direction of the drivetrain... not something i'd want to drive (the quality of the fabrication is questionable to say the least), but it's still entertaining to check out....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...er-Rear-Wheels