CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Pro Modified

Old 12-15-2008

Default 1/8 vs. 1/4 mile set up

I keep hearing that 1/8 mile cars won't crossover and run 1/4 mile tracks...not enough gear in them. Can someone break down the typical shift points for the two setups? In other words, on a 1/4 mile track, an average pro mod will go from 1st to 2nd gear at approximately the ____ foot mark.
Old 12-16-2008

Shreds1 I was wondering the same thing , I even asked the same question to a couple of 1/8th mile racers though not ProMod racers.........anyhow they told me that on the 1/8th mile ....first gear carries the ProMods further out than on the 1/4 mile.......I always thought that the opposite was true......Hope we get answers even though I'm not interested in 1/8th mile racing or e.t's & speed......still be nice to know because some say they dont run 1/4 mile because they dont want to change there setup from 1/8th mile.
Old 12-17-2008

Shreds1 and frank369k, Our only track is quarter mile, but several years ago, a former track manager held three eighth mile events on the street, in Anchorage. I bought another third member and 5.86 gears (too low) to replace my 4.57s. Well, anyway, I fell in love with the eighth, and have done some research. It was all made simple when in the September 15, 2006 issue of DRM had an article, in Tech Stop, called "MPH in the Quarter vs. the Eighth". Basically it says, for lower horsepower cars (I assume that means under about 2000), divide the gear ratio that you run in the quarter by .80, and it should be real close to the gear that you need for the eighth. For the guys that run the eighth and want to run the quarter, multiply your gear ratio by .80. For the Pro Mod guys, it's probably a whole different ball game!

1964 GTO, 606" Indian Adventures Pontiac, 2750#
Best pass;
[email protected] all motor
60' - 1.1981
330'- 3.3522
660'- 5.2901 @ 131.97

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...h/P5280009.jpg
Old 12-18-2008

Are you wanting Blown Alcohol info? Nitrous?

1/8th mile is easier on parts. The less time these monsters are in high gear(1-1), the less parts they chew up.
Old 12-28-2008

i don't change anything. running a powerglide though.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Racing
i don't change anything. running a powerglide though.
3 speed lencos are pretty popular with some, although the Glides are starting to take over. There are a lot of TS cars including Ronnie Davis that race both 1/8 and 1/4. I don't know which one Ronnie likes the most? The longer a car is at high rpm's the chance of breakage goes way up. Gear can be 4.56, 4.88, or others. We have some 4.70 and 5.30 heads up racing at some of the local tracks.
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues
3 speed lencos are pretty popular with some, although the Glides are starting to take over. There are a lot of TS cars including Ronnie Davis that race both 1/8 and 1/4. I don't know which one Ronnie likes the most? The longer a car is at high rpm's the chance of breakage goes way up. Gear can be 4.56, 4.88, or others. We have some 4.70 and 5.30 heads up racing at some of the local tracks.
Glides aren't now or ever will be legal in the real ProMod classes. They're not practical anyways as they're a real pain in the ass to do ratiio changes compared to a Lenco.

65 Dodge 526 HEMI 2985#
7.06@194
60' - 1.08
330 -
660 - 4.32 @178
Old 12-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreds1
I keep hearing that 1/8 mile cars won't crossover

Seems to me Patterson's car does an awesome job of crossing over. With Scott Cannon driving it in outlaw trim (screw) it went 5.71 at E-Town!
Old 01-12-2009
21 stud

We drove to the ADRL race in Valdosta and we understand some of the reasons for their 1/8th mile racing. Safety issues like less speed, shorter tracks ok, less tire speed. also less parts breakage, shorter track clean up time, heck even a small savings in nitro. I also agree that bracket racing can be better on the 1/8th for many different reasons. But... man that got over fast.

We pretty well agreed that it was our first and last ADRL race unless in was in our backyard. Just wasn't that exciting and we watched races both in the stands and in a VIP A/C suite. Needed the A/C!

So compromise. Go to 1000' racing. I've watched it too and it's not bad! ADRL should go 1000' racing! Currently the only people excited are the new spectators with the free ticket. Wonder if they would be excited paying even $30.00 much less an NHRA $55.00.
Old 01-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 stud
We drove to the ADRL race in Valdosta and we understand some of the reasons for their 1/8th mile racing. Safety issues like less speed, shorter tracks ok, less tire speed. also less parts breakage, shorter track clean up time, heck even a small savings in nitro. I also agree that bracket racing can be better on the 1/8th for many different reasons. But... man that got over fast.

We pretty well agreed that it was our first and last ADRL race unless in was in our backyard. Just wasn't that exciting and we watched races both in the stands and in a VIP A/C suite. Needed the A/C!

So compromise. Go to 1000' racing. I've watched it too and it's not bad! ADRL should go 1000' racing! Currently the only people excited are the new spectators with the free ticket. Wonder if they would be excited paying even $30.00 much less an NHRA $55.00.
BINGO!!!!!!! I feel the same way, ADRL in Rockingham was my first & last ADRL race likewise....I admit there maybe less breakage , less expense for the teams , & less MPH than 1/4 mile for better safety BUT from a fans point of view 660ft is too DAM Short for these 10.5 cars & faster.......It really is nothing to see nothing to enjoy or get excited about.........Its just as bad as going to a National event for 60ft times ONLY........