CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Floated?????
Yet, you were not there.....so you are not a credible "witness".

Altitude + hang time + relatively light weight = harmless.

If a frog had wings.......

(The clock is ticking on this one folks........get 'em in while you can.)

----------------------------
Old 09-13-2012

Arrow

Quote:
I'm sure rules changes are coming from NHRA on this body problem. That body hitting someone on the head would probably be fatal.
I am eagerly awaiting your solution, oh wise one. These cars run on liquid dynamite. When you have a complete system failure (as Lesenko did on both runs) the results are not, and will not be pretty. There is no safe way to anchor the body to the chassis for the forces caused by explosions of these magnitudes.
Old 09-13-2012
Banned

Default For the Good of the Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Minick View Post
I am eagerly awaiting your solution, oh wise one. These cars run on liquid dynamite. When you have a complete system failure (as Lesenko did on both runs) the results are not, and will not be pretty. There is no safe way to anchor the body to the chassis for the forces caused by explosions of these magnitudes.
I'm not the expert but rules will be coming by the end of the year. Perhaps more attachments. Again we go back to the EXPLOSIONS. NHRA has to think long term. Answers must be found for the good of the sport.
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
I'm not the expert but rules will be coming by the end of the year. Perhaps more attachments. Again we go back to the EXPLOSIONS. NHRA has to think long term. Answers must be found for the good of the sport.
Shouldn't you be knitting a sweater while following Championship Canasta????
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
I'm not the expert.
That was clear from the get go.

Quote:
Perhaps more attachments.
Great idea, have them put more attachments on the car so when this kind of thing happens the body stays on and the whole chassis is lifted off the ground with the driver inside it. Genius!
Old 09-13-2012

I guess they will be trying to figure out a way to tether the body to the chassis somehow...They already basically look like they are just sitting on top of the chassis with just the release in the front locking it down...When they get back to their pits after a run they just lift it off the chassis and go into the engine rebuild procedures....Might be a simple fix???? Maybe nothing would keep the CF body on the car because of the force of the explosion....
Old 09-13-2012

You guys should not feed the trolls...
Old 09-13-2012

Man.. Screw the funny cars, at least the body helps contain some of the aluminum shards. What about dragsters being wide open around the engine?

It is dangerous.. And burst panels only work when the explosion uses the burst panels on the intake.. When you're blowing the head/intake/block apart, you're going to tear the body in half as I think has been proven several times over the last 2-3 years.

Yes, it is scary that these things can happen.. Yes it is scary that fans can be injured. But you have a better chance getting injured driving to and from the race. Not to mention fans come to see things like that as sick as it is to say.. Where else are you going to see that? Just like Talledega.. Do you watch for the racing or for the big one? Be honest....

You go to a baseball game, foul balls and home runs are blasting into the seats multiple times a game. At well over 100 mph.

Hockey game, a 1/3 lb. frozen chunk of rubber goes flying into the crowd several times a game.. Sometimes near or over 100mph..

People still attend these sporting events amazingly.. Do people get hurt? Yep.. But you assume some risk just by being in attendance. And these people don't typically have 3 seconds of hang time to get out of the way of the object hurling towards them. I'm personally glad the bodies stay as intact as they do.. They create a lot of wind resistance and SLOW DOWN before they hit anything. Imagine if you tried to strap the whole body down and an explosion happens.. Instead of large, air slowed pieces of body falling, you've just made a carbon fiber Claymore Mine.. Sawblade sized Carbon Fiber pieces moving a thousand feet per second vs 80% of the body falling at 50. I'll take my chances with the bigger, slower one..
Old 09-13-2012
Administrator

On second thought.....rebutting his nonsense (or indulging his need for attention ) is a better idea.

Have at it.......

----------------------------
Old 09-13-2012

I feel like a fish following a Mepps here, but what the heck...Ive got a few minutes. Larry, when you and NitroFan1 learn how to overcome the laws of physics, give the NHRA Tech dept a call...Im sure theyd love to hear from you. Until then we had better shut down the highways, sidewalks, airports and anything else that moves! In all seriousness, nobody here wants to see an injury or a death at a drag strip. The reality is it will happen no matter how many rules and devices are in place. Look at non-nhra strips and how close seating is to the strip. Theyve already taken step that surpass a lot of others, and the question is, where do you stop? Fans definately know the risk, and to be honest, for some that is part of the thrill of being there. Heck, look at the monster truck shows....theyve killed more fans in the last 10 years than NHRA has since it started...and they never fail to pack'em in. Im all for improvement, but until you have a valid solution, stop squealing....not gonna get any grease here.
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk, tethers