CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-10-2012

Default NHRA drag racing is a sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...od_Association

NHRA Drag Racing is a Motor Sport. Rules govern the sport of drag racing not businessmen. If the sport is nothing but a business as some say on this forum, then the hell with fair competition in the Fuel Categories. If you got buku bucks you can gain a monopoly in the sport by fielding multiple race cars and effectively skew the advantage over the non-multi-car race car owners. That my friends is gaming the sport.
Old 09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowitz View Post

NHRA Drag Racing is a Motor Sport. Rules govern the sport of drag racing not businessmen. If the sport is nothing but a business as some say on this forum, then the hell with fair competition in the Fuel Categories. If you got buku bucks you can gain a monopoly in the sport by fielding multiple race cars and effectively skew the advantage over the non-multi-car race car owners. That my friends is gaming the sport.
Never trust Wikipedia....Horrible source.

And if you think that the 'Sport' of NHRA Drag Racing has ever been anything but an organization run by the best interests of businessmen since 1951 - I've got some beach front property in Arizona to sell ya.....
Old 09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Never trust Wikipedia....Horrible source.

And if you think that the 'Sport' of NHRA Drag Racing has ever been anything but an organization run by the best interests of businessmen since 1951 - I've got some beach front property in Arizona to sell ya.....
Lest I missed something, are you suggesting that the current state of affairs in NHRA drag Racing whereby multi-car teams (JFR,DSR) in the fuel classes hold a monoploy and have an advantage over non-multi-car owners is in and of itself the natural realization of the aims of the NHRA from its inception? Is that what you see as "The NHRA Brand"?
Old 09-11-2012

Quote:

As long as money is involved; i.e. paying to compete, paying for a ticket to watch or receiving compensation for your performance, it is a business. Entertainment is a business. Drag racing, or any other form of motorsports as well as sports in general are examples of entertainment that just happen to have a competitive element attached them. When you purchase your ticket to watch drag racing, you are paying to be entertained, period!
Old 09-11-2012

Quote:
Lest I missed something, are you suggesting that the current state of affairs in NHRA drag Racing whereby multi-car teams (JFR,DSR) in the fuel classes hold a monoploy and have an advantage over non-multi-car owners is in and of itself the natural realization of the aims of the NHRA from its inception? Is that what you see as "The NHRA Brand"?
That's very nice of you to imply that - but that's not true.

My response to the 'multi-car teams (JFR, DSR) in the fuel classes hold a monopoly and have an advantage over non-multi-car owners' deal is four words....

Tim Wilkerson - Steve Torrence

They've seemed to do pretty well as independents. How bout' V. Gaines and Larry Morgan....pretty good themselves and both in the countdown.

There is no Monopoly (except perhaps in Pro Stock Motorcycle). If you've got money to race with a team - more power to you. By your rational I guess you think that the FACTORY HOT ROD WARS of the late 1960's and 70's were 'NOT IN THE SPIRIT OF DRAG RACING'. And that people like Larry Minor, Don Schumacher, Jungle Jim, Connie Kalitta and others who ran multiple cars in a single year back in the day we're 'not in the spirit of the sport'?

I beg to differ - and I'm sure they might have some words for you as well.

And from its inception the NHRA was 'Dedicated to Safety' by creating "Ingenuity in Action". The goal was to convince street racers to "bring it to a close course", where cars could be safety inspected by certified mechanics and safety experts and race in a safe environment.

Don't know if you know this FACT, but at the Santa Ana Drags (you know, the first real organized drag race) three guys that I know brought their cars out to see how fast they could go. They shared tuning data, ate lunch together and ran their cars as a TEAM.

Those three guys were my Grandfather, and two Uncles. And I'm certain there were more people who did the same from the beginning.

So, from the beginning, multi-car teams have been a part of the sport. I think what you've got a problem with is the "Golden Rule" - 'he who holds the gold makes the rules'.

If that's the problem, don't blame the teams - blame the officials. Blame the people who allow that to occur (even though I don't believe they do).

Just sayin'.....
Old 09-11-2012

Every form of motorsports has the Multi Team issue... its part of it..do they have an advantage.. sure.. more oppertunities to collect data.. more oppertunities to offer more exposure to sponsors..etc...etc....

that doesnt mean that smaller single car teams cant compete and win.. always takes alot of money even for the bigger teams... but work ethic.. determination and sometimes..pure dang luck prevails.....
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
That's very nice of you to imply that - but that's not true.

My response to the 'multi-car teams (JFR, DSR) in the fuel classes hold a monopoly and have an advantage over non-multi-car owners' deal is four words....

Tim Wilkerson - Steve Torrence

They've seemed to do pretty well as independents. How bout' V. Gaines and Larry Morgan....pretty good themselves and both in the countdown.

There is no Monopoly (except perhaps in Pro Stock Motorcycle). If you've got money to race with a team - more power to you. By your rational I guess you think that the FACTORY HOT ROD WARS of the late 1960's and 70's were 'NOT IN THE SPIRIT OF DRAG RACING'. And that people like Larry Minor, Don Schumacher, Jungle Jim, Connie Kalitta and others who ran multiple cars in a single year back in the day we're 'not in the spirit of the sport'?

I beg to differ - and I'm sure they might have some words for you as well.

And from its inception the NHRA was 'Dedicated to Safety' by creating "Ingenuity in Action". The goal was to convince street racers to "bring it to a close course", where cars could be safety inspected by certified mechanics and safety experts and race in a safe environment.

Don't know if you know this FACT, but at the Santa Ana Drags (you know, the first real organized drag race) three guys that I know brought their cars out to see how fast they could go. They shared tuning data, ate lunch together and ran their cars as a TEAM.

Those three guys were my Grandfather, and two Uncles. And I'm certain there were more people who did the same from the beginning.

So, from the beginning, multi-car teams have been a part of the sport. I think what you've got a problem with is the "Golden Rule" - 'he who holds the gold makes the rules'.

If that's the problem, don't blame the teams - blame the officials. Blame the people who allow that to occur (even though I don't believe they do).

Just sayin'.....
My call to the NHRA is to breakup the monopolies in the Fuel Classes. This state of affairs is contrary to fair competition and negatively reflects on the "NHRA brand". I suggest car owners be limited to 2 funnys and 2 fuelers. I'm all for teams in drag racing but I'm against the monopolization of the fuel classes ect. by wealthy businessman. I believe the best interest of the sport of NHRA drag racing will be served with this change for the positive.
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
My call to the NHRA is to breakup the monopolies in the Fuel Classes. This state of affairs is contrary to fair competition and negatively reflects on the "NHRA brand". I suggest car owners be limited to 2 funnys and 2 fuelers. I'm all for teams in drag racing but I'm against the monopolization of the fuel classes ect. by wealthy businessman. I believe the best interest of the sport of NHRA drag racing will be served with this change for the positive.
You've made some valid points I agree with, but the reality is that there aren't that many "under-funded" teams to step up to the plate to fill the void. Take away Force, Schumacher, and Kalitta and there isn't much left. As others have stated, there's also the loophole of having different family members owning parts of the "team." Part of what makes Force popular was the fact that he started with nothing and built his empire. What makes Force unpopular to some is that he has an empire. The sad reality of the sport today is that it's impossible to run the fuel classes without an "empire" behind you.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrat_77 View Post
You've made some valid points I agree with, but the reality is that there aren't that many "under-funded" teams to step up to the plate to fill the void. Take away Force, Schumacher, and Kalitta and there isn't much left. As others have stated, there's also the loophole of having different family members owning parts of the "team." Part of what makes Force popular was the fact that he started with nothing and built his empire. What makes Force unpopular to some is that he has an empire. The sad reality of the sport today is that it's impossible to run the fuel classes without an "empire" behind you.
Ever consider the possibility of more lower funded teams might appear on the scene if and when the monopolies are broken up? Maybe there's a dozen or so guys out there who would love to go fuel racing but aren't bothering to do so specifically because of these giant machines. As to the family member scenario.... one rule would put a kabash to that and that would be said family memembers or whoever would need to operate out of a completely seperate facility. Hight, Courtney, Tony or whoever not be allowed to run their operations out of a JFR or DSR facility, building etc..
Old 09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Ever consider the possibility of more lower funded teams might appear on the scene if and when the monopolies are broken up? Maybe there's a dozen or so guys out there who would love to go fuel racing but aren't bothering to do so specifically because of these giant machines. As to the family member scenario.... one rule would put a kabash to that and that would be said family memembers or whoever would need to operate out of a completely seperate facility. Hight, Courtney, Tony or whoever not be allowed to run their operations out of a JFR or DSR facility, building etc..
If the NHRA were to breakup the monoplies in the Fuel Classes it stands to reason that small funded teams will come to the fore and make their play. Fair competition would transform the Fuel Classes and infuse the sport with new energy and excitement. Sponsors will also have broader choices and new personalities to represent their respective brands.