CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-13-2012
larrydavis427 larrydavis427 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,688
Thumbs down No Harmless.

This is not a harmless, light weight body, gently falling to the ground. I would have hated to have been at the bathrooms with my 4 grandchildren who will be at Maple Grove with something like this going on.. Once the body separated it was a potential deadly flying, silent object. Someone in the pits may have not seen or even known it was above their head. No one could necessarily have gotten away from this flying object. You wouldn't have had time to round up your children and go to a safe area. It traveled about 100 yds and 80 ft up according to announcer Dunn. Running the explosion back on video it clearly shows it looked like a giant Kite shooting out of control to the ground.
  #32  
Old 09-13-2012
nitrofan1's Avatar
nitrofan1 nitrofan1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkysbc View Post
I feel like a fish following a Mepps here, but what the heck...Ive got a few minutes. Larry, when you and NitroFan1 learn how to overcome the laws of physics, give the NHRA Tech dept a call...Im sure theyd love to hear from you. Until then we had better shut down the highways, sidewalks, airports and anything else that moves! In all seriousness, nobody here wants to see an injury or a death at a drag strip. The reality is it will happen no matter how many rules and devices are in place. Look at non-nhra strips and how close seating is to the strip. Theyve already taken step that surpass a lot of others, and the question is, where do you stop? Fans definately know the risk, and to be honest, for some that is part of the thrill of being there. Heck, look at the monster truck shows....theyve killed more fans in the last 10 years than NHRA has since it started...and they never fail to pack'em in. Im all for improvement, but until you have a valid solution, stop squealing....not gonna get any grease here.
Yes, we all assume the risks of attending these events. Doesn't mean it should become a normal occurence. Some people at these events don't expect that to happen. What are you going to tell a new family who was near that area of the falling body? "Well, it's no big deal. It's lightweight. It won't hurt you. Better yet, just run away." Really? If I were new that would be the last time I attend. But I'm not new. I know what can happen. Is that the attitude we should be taking though?

Just like in Pomona with the TAD crash. What if that went into the last section of stands? Do we tell those killed/injured, "well, you know the risks, it's no big deal." I'm sure (I hope not) that the NHRA doesn't have that attitude. There is always room for safety improvements.

May we all stay safe at the drag strip.
  #33  
Old 09-13-2012
CH3NO2_fan CH3NO2_fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
This is not a harmless, light weight body, gently falling to the ground. I would have hated to have been at the bathrooms with my 4 grandchildren who will be at Maple Grove with something like this going on.. Once the body separated it was a potential deadly flying, silent object. Someone in the pits may have not seen or even known it was above their head. No one could necessarily have gotten away from this flying object. You wouldn't have had time to round up your children and go to a safe area. It traveled about 100 yds and 80 ft up according to announcer Dunn. Running the explosion back on video it clearly shows it looked like a giant Kite shooting out of control to the ground.
Not lightweight - do you have any idea how much those bodies weigh?
  #34  
Old 09-13-2012
CH3NO2_fan CH3NO2_fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofan1 View Post
Yes, we all assume the risks of attending these events. Doesn't mean it should become a normal occurence. Some people at these events don't expect that to happen. What are you going to tell a new family who was near that area of the falling body? "Well, it's no big deal. It's lightweight. It won't hurt you. Better yet, just run away." Really? If I were new that would be the last time I attend. But I'm not new. I know what can happen. Is that the attitude we should be taking though?

Just like in Pomona with the TAD crash. What if that went into the last section of stands? Do we tell those killed/injured, "well, you know the risks, it's no big deal." I'm sure (I hope not) that the NHRA doesn't have that attitude. There is always room for safety improvements.

May we all stay safe at the drag strip.
It's not a normal occurrence. Prior to last weekend, give me the last five times it happened. I'll wait.
  #35  
Old 09-13-2012
nitrofan1's Avatar
nitrofan1 nitrofan1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH3NO2_fan View Post
It's not a normal occurrence. Prior to last weekend, give me the last five times it happened. I'll wait.
I know it's not normal, just don't want it to BECOME normal. It doesn't happen often, but it goes to show it CAN happen. Hey, it's Charlotte this weekend. Be careful if you're standing towards top end when Hagan comes down the track.
  #36  
Old 09-13-2012
larrydavis427 larrydavis427 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH3NO2_fan View Post
Not lightweight - do you have any idea how much those bodies weigh?
More than a baseball with it's attached parts and traveling at about the same speed.
  #37  
Old 09-13-2012
CH3NO2_fan CH3NO2_fan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
More than a baseball with it's attached parts and traveling at about the same speed.
Have you ever taken a physics class?

BTW, the answer is approximately 250 pounds when intact.
  #38  
Old 09-13-2012
oliver oliver is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 561
Default

Seen. trembling in front of the TV with drag racing on.

__________________
"O"
  #39  
Old 09-13-2012
anotheridiot anotheridiot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,081
Default

Body Specs
Funny car bodies must be styled resembling a 1991 or later two-door coupe or sedan. The body must be a type that was mass-produced by an automobile manufacturer. The body used for funny cars weighs between 87 and 89 lbs. Funny car bodies are made of strong, lightweight materials. The carbon-fiber bodies must be made of a special four-element graphite weave, according to NHRA regulations.



Read more: The Specifications of NHRA Funny Cars | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7549520_spe...#ixzz26NbzVIS6

I know, I know, Wikipedia is more accurate, but ehow seems about larry's speed
__________________
Sometimes the peanut gallery can make a useful suggestion.
  #40  
Old 09-13-2012
alkysbc's Avatar
alkysbc alkysbc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Central Montana
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofan1 View Post
Yes, we all assume the risks of attending these events. Doesn't mean it should become a normal occurence. Some people at these events don't expect that to happen. What are you going to tell a new family who was near that area of the falling body? "Well, it's no big deal. It's lightweight. It won't hurt you. Better yet, just run away." Really? If I were new that would be the last time I attend. But I'm not new. I know what can happen. Is that the attitude we should be taking though?

Just like in Pomona with the TAD crash. What if that went into the last section of stands? Do we tell those killed/injured, "well, you know the risks, it's no big deal." I'm sure (I hope not) that the NHRA doesn't have that attitude. There is always room for safety improvements.

May we all stay safe at the drag strip.
Point 1. Again, unless if you have a viable solution to prevent any and all engine explosions, please do share....but otherwise, what point is there to screaming about safety at the top of your lungs. Do you think that the folks running the show or Jim Dunn thought it was humorous or cool? If they could prevent it, they already would have. Your rants here are serving no purpose in helping the matter. What are your ideas for reducing/ending engine explosions?

Point 2. Anyone who attends a drag race and assumes they are protected from all hazards is incredibly ignorant. Sadly I guess there are many in our society that fit this description, but really...you expect complete safety at any event such as this. Kids in Playland at McD's have a better chance of being hurt than those at the drags....lets shut down Playland! I too am for improvements in safety, but endlessly squealing about it doesnt help.
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk, tethers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.