CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
Body Specs
Funny car bodies must be styled resembling a 1991 or later two-door coupe or sedan. The body must be a type that was mass-produced by an automobile manufacturer. The body used for funny cars weighs between 87 and 89 lbs. Funny car bodies are made of strong, lightweight materials. The carbon-fiber bodies must be made of a special four-element graphite weave, according to NHRA regulations.

Read more: The Specifications of NHRA Funny Cars | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7549520_spe...#ixzz26NbzVIS6

I know, I know, Wikipedia is more accurate, but ehow seems about larry's speed
Not sure what the weight was that came down with framing and missing pieces. Although it looked somewhat complete. But it could definitely have killed people. Also had sharp edges from splitting.
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkysbc View Post
Point 1. Again, unless if you have a viable solution to prevent any and all engine explosions, please do share....but otherwise, what point is there to screaming about safety at the top of your lungs. Do you think that the folks running the show or Jim Dunn thought it was humorous or cool? If they could prevent it, they already would have. Your rants here are serving no purpose in helping the matter. What are your ideas for reducing/ending engine explosions?

Point 2. Anyone who attends a drag race and assumes they are protected from all hazards is incredibly ignorant. Sadly I guess there are many in our society that fit this description, but really...you expect complete safety at any event such as this. Kids in Playland at McD's have a better chance of being hurt than those at the drags....lets shut down Playland! I too am for improvements in safety, but endlessly squealing about it doesnt help.
Whatever. I give up. Hard to argue with you. You're right. Let's not do anything about it. Everyone can fend for themselves as it drops out of the sky. So what if people get killed or injured. Could've easily lost a few people in that explosion. It doesn't matter. That's their problem. Your point about McD's Playland is useless. They aren't doing anything in there. They don't have to worry about things hitting them at high speeds, or debris falling onto them. You made no sense.

I go to the drag races, but I don't expect a FC body to land on me. And yes, if one lands on you, it's not just going to lightly bounce off of you, it will KILL YOU. If you want, go ahead and tell me how it feels. Because I know I certainly don't want to try it.
Old 09-13-2012

Dragracing is a very dangerous sport as a racer,spectaor or official I should know. I have been runover and blown up so many times I cannot count. You can get hurt at any time yet I will continue to go until I am dust. If you are worried about getting hurt stay home from all events around the world and just cut you grass. PS: Dennis Taylor can make you all the safety products for your mower and weed eater if you need one.

Larry Sutton--Lions,Irwindale,OCIR starter and RET.racer
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Not sure what the weight was that came down with framing and missing pieces. Although it looked somewhat complete. But it could definitely have killed people. Also had sharp edges from splitting.
next time you see four guys carrying a body over the chassis to do between round maintenance you can see how heavy it is. Any engineering about speed the body no longer under power in free fall is Willy's area. No way is it going 100 mph like a baseball and if the fans are not paying enough attention to get out of the way, they shouldnt be there in the first place.
Old 09-13-2012
Banned

Smile Love Nitro.

I want to make it clear that I love the nitro classes. They are some of my favorite classes. But what happened at Indy is unacceptable.
Old 09-13-2012

And let me set this straight. This will NEVER keep me from the track. Notice my screen name. I LOVE nitro cars. Just don't want to see anyone getting killed at the track.
Old 09-13-2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofan1 View Post
And let me set this straight. This will NEVER keep me from the track. Notice my screen name. I LOVE nitro cars. Just don't want to see anyone getting killed at the track.
Ditto nitrofan1.
Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry sutton View Post
If you are worried about getting hurt stay home from all events around the world and just cut you grass. PS: Dennis Taylor can make you all the safety products for your mower and weed eater if you need one.
That safety equipment includes diapers... For the cry babies...

Old 09-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofan1 View Post
Whatever. I give up. Hard to argue with you. You're right. Let's not do anything about it. Everyone can fend for themselves as it drops out of the sky. So what if people get killed or injured. Could've easily lost a few people in that explosion. It doesn't matter. That's their problem. Your point about McD's Playland is useless. They aren't doing anything in there. They don't have to worry about things hitting them at high speeds, or debris falling onto them. You made no sense.

I go to the drag races, but I don't expect a FC body to land on me. And yes, if one lands on you, it's not just going to lightly bounce off of you, it will KILL YOU. If you want, go ahead and tell me how it feels. Because I know I certainly don't want to try it.
First off Nitro....I agree....the NHRA dodged a bullet last weekend, seeing that nobody was hurt by the debris from Jim Dunn's funny car. Very fortunate that nobody was hurt. My question to you is this...what do you propose that they do to stop it? Thank you for pointing out your concern for safety at events, but repeating that statement 30 times in a row will not fix it. The folks here are mostly racers...the kind of folks who build, modify, invent and improve mechanical systems. These are the type of folks who would gladly have a conversation about designs, safety devices and anything that would provide the safety you have called for, but they arent the kind to sit around and repeatedly cry about a situation with no plan for fixing it. That is my point. IF you didnt get the point about McD's playland, Ill explain. I honestly feel that individuals at a drag race have a far lower chance of being injured than the kids in playland...follow me now? Per every person who walks into a national event, I feel as though their odds are much lower for injury than per every child that walks into Playland. That was my point. If you are as concerned about race fans as you are, I figured youd blow your top over the gross neglegence displayed my Ronald and his crew. Should there be bullet proof glass in front of the stands, and a re-enforced steel roof structure over the stands? Should the NHRA introduce a Nitro ban like in the early 60's? Should superchargers be eliminated? Should fans watch via live feed from a remote location? Let us know your idea....but without some suggestion, all you are doing is wasting oxygen.
Old 09-13-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
Any engineering about speed the body no longer under power in free fall is Willy's area.
Let's assume the height that the body reached was 80 feet. Someone threw out 3 seconds for it to fall. That would put it's speed at 26.6 feet/second, or 17 MPH.

Don't forget that it's distance from apex to landing was actually greater as it did not come straight down but in an arc with an estimated radius of 100 ft, likely slowing it down further. And the speed was likely greater on it way up, rather than down due to the force of the engine explosion.

Speed is not the issue......it's the mass of the object & the force it carries. Neither appeared to merit hysteria.

----------------------------
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk, tethers