CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-08-2018

29 on the list.

Scedule is Q1 & Q2 Friday, Q3 and R1 Saturday. 3 rounds Sunday. We will be able to see all the action on All Access.

1) Barton
2) Holbrook
3) Turk

BTW, 33 PM so far. That is 62 good looking door cars.
Old 02-08-2018

Did Ford abandon the CJ program already? Nothing newer than 2016.
Old 02-08-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe3w View Post
Did Ford abandon the CJ program already? Nothing newer than 2016.
No....they release a new CJ on two year time frame, give or take a year.

Cars designed to compete in other forms of racing are interspersed...

Current FRPP competition vehicles are the Shelby FP350S, developed to compete in the Trans Am and other SCCA classes and the Mustang GT4, sports car championship racing series globally, including the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, Pirelli World Challenge GTS/GT4, and GT4 European Series.

----------------------------
Old 02-08-2018

why only 8 cars ?? ..... seems to me if your interested in growing the class, let as many cars race as possible!. if time is an issue, than substitute the last qualifying session with first round of eliminations with 16 or 32 cars
Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGrump View Post
why only 8 cars ?? ..... seems to me if your interested in growing the class, let as many cars race as possible!. if time is an issue, than substitute the last qualifying session with first round of eliminations with 16 or 32 cars
Or move FS/XX to a 16 car field with their first round replacing Pro Stock's Q4. Pro Stock won't have 17 cars to fight for that 16th spot anyway.
Old 02-08-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Or move FS/XX to a 16 car field with their first round replacing Pro Stock's Q4. Pro Stock won't have 17 cars to fight for that 16th spot anyway.
Or how about this 21S, using about half of your words....

Or move FS/XX to a 16 car field replacing Pro Stock

----------------------------
Old 02-08-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
For those of you who may not know who this>

FSS Charles Watson Grosse Ile MI '16 Mustang FORD 302 WATSON RACING

is..... he owns the company that builds the Cobra Jets for Ford.

http://www.watsonracing.com/
Wow, Interesting!
Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
No....they release a new CJ on two year time frame, give or take a year.

Cars designed to compete in other forms of racing are interspersed...

Current FRPP competition vehicles are the Shelby FP350S, developed to compete in the Trans Am and other SCCA classes and the Mustang GT4, sports car championship racing series globally, including the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, Pirelli World Challenge GTS/GT4, and GT4 European Series.
I'm not sure what they're called but Watson also builds factory roadrace cars for Ford as well as the CJ's. Interestingly enough, their shop is less than 5 miles from Team Z (right around the corner from Mike Moran's shop) and no more than 10 miles Holbrook's shop. All in the Detroit metro area.
Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Or how about this 21S, using about half of your words....
Or move FS/XX to a 16 car field replacing Pro Stock
There isn’t one current Pro Stock team owner, driver or crew member that I have a dislike for. Yes, I root for some significantly over others and there are a couple that I don’t care for some of their behavior. But I don’t wish for anything to harm any of them or their investment in Pro Stock.

At the same time, I believe the only reason NHRA is letting the Pro Stock owners, drivers and sponsors rule the Pro Stock roost is fear of a P/S Truck style lawsuit.

NHRA announced going to 8 car fields and the idea of shortened Pro Stock seasons but backed off both rapidly when pressed. Apparently the negotiated peace treaty was the right to stuff a Chevy motor in a Ford or Toyota or Nissan or KIA or Smart car. (I doubt that the people with vested interest in Pro Stock really believe a loose motor rule will cure the low car count and fan apathy toward Pro Stock.) The Pro Stock owners and NHRA’s management of the situation is just prolonging a still festering problem.

Again, nobody wants the Pro Stock teams to get hurt but they have put themselves in this position, not the fans or even NHRA. Yes, NHRA is derelict in management of the Pro Stock rules by caving to the continued push from the wealthy Pro Stock sponsors and team owners.

Since the Team Owners and Pro Stock Sponsors seem to call the shots, it’s time they get real and pick a way to either make major concessions and move towards a “muscled up”, Factory Stock Showdown class or pick a date two or maybe three years down the road that will be “The Last Pro Stock Season Championship”. I have a feeling NHRA would exhale a big sigh of relief and give Pro Stock a quality sendoff.

Pro Stock Truck’s disaster was the rapid pulling of the plug. If NHRA had even said “Just one more year of Pro Stock Truck”, they would have been in a much better position IF it still went to court.

Announcing this Sunday night that “The 2019 NHRA Mello Yellow Pro Stock Championship will be the last one” would give teams two seasons to plan their future and use up their stuff while exiting “stage right” with dignity.
Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Announcing this Sunday night that “The 2019 NHRA Mello Yellow Pro Stock Championship will be the last one” would give teams two seasons to plan their future and use up their stuff while exiting “stage right” with dignity.
They need to give them till Indy and if things don't improve, make an announcement the following Tuesday that P/S will not be on the 2020 schedule and events in 2019 with fewer than 14 entries will be contested as 8 car fields.