Old 02-13-2018

Default seeing red

Very hard to read Alan
Old 02-13-2018

Gotta be different I guess, lol
Old 02-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post

You do realize that Brittany's car had smoked the tires on Friday Q1, and she shut it off. On Sunday she peddled it and you're calling that a better result?

And in my first post hypothetically, Hagan is that far in front because the other teams tried to go for it on one run and it didn't stick where as Hagan's team made the first three runs at 4.05, 4.12 to 4.20 and never pushed at all.

Personally I don't mind a guy striking out a lot if I know he's ALWAYS swinging for a home run. And when he does hit the home runs, they get cheered a LOT LOUDER than the guys who hit for a better average, but never puts one over the fence. Remember Barry Bonds chasing the Home Run record a few years back? Now, can you tell me who on the team had the best average that year?

Alan
First, Brittany smoking the tires Q1 obviously didn’t help them learn much for Sunday. Second, this system wouldn’t change “the must win at all costs” attitude that is Sunday Eliminations. On Sunday there would be no change as she would pedal, steal and claw her way to victory if that’s what it takes. That’s the current situation and would still be the future situation under the “Total of 4” qualifying system.

Regarding Hagan running four 4.10’s and qualify #1. If nobody can beat that average because they are all still swinging for the fences, they deserve what they get. That would be dumb racing because it would be costly in parts attrition, ruining your qualifying position and chances of still being a crew chief in the future. You can’t play on Sunday if you don’t qualify and if you go for the fences all four times and smoke em, your out of the field now. Prock almost proved that at the World Finals but sanity prevailed, he backed it down successfully, Hight qualified and… Won the Championship. Was that boring? Was that Barnum and Bailey?

Barry Bonds played for the Pirates from 86 thru 92. The Pirates finished 4th, 7th, 11th, 3rd, 2nd, 6th, 6th, 5th, 8th, 8th and 6th during his tenure.
Bond’s moved to a better team, the SF Giants for the 1993-2007 seasons and the Giants finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th,4th, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd and 5th.
While Barry Bond was a fantastic player and his teams averaged a very respectable 4th place finish, the Giants finished back in 5th place when he was chasing that home run record.

In drag racing terms, this would similar to Robert Hight being Champ twice but he’s averaging a 4.46 place finish. Bonds is great and so is Hight.

(Yeah, I did the math… You do still remember that Hight should have been the 2007 Champ when they announced the Countdown in January and he would easily have won under the old system but lost by less than one round in the 2007 Countdown. No, he’s not my absolute favorite.. but he’s really good.)

But going back to the excitement of Barry Bond chasing the home run record since you brought it up. It was exciting for the fans to watch him try but it probably was one of the reasons they finished #5 instead of 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th. There isn’t anything that would stop Alan Johnson from “swinging for the fence” when he felt the weather was perfect and he had a new killer combination worth trying. They still give points for a new record but it would be nice if the tractors weren’t on the track as much for Terry H and others. (Sorry TH) The penalty for banging the blower would be stiff for all teams but the newer teams would most likely have better success and be safer going for consistency and a safer/cheaper learning environment.

To answer your question of who on the Giants had the best batting average in 2007... I could look it up and I don't know.
But I do know the Giants finished in 5th while the World Series Champs were the... yucky, yuck... pft.. Boston Red Sox.

Hey, it’s a debate that got you to respond. I’m fine with that…
Old 02-13-2018

I think you have the right idea on making good runs more important, go back to points for each session, so #1 in session gets 16 points and #2 in session gets 15 points down to #16 gets 1 point. This would make the tuners want to make every run important, not the measly 3 you get for being #1

Too many points, Make #1 get 10 points #2 gets 7 points #3 gets 6 points and so on till you get to 1. You could make up 2 rounds in qualifying,

This way you may want to swing for fences but just a little more cautiously.

and still pedal it because you may out qualify someone else.
Old 02-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson77 View Post
I think you have the right idea on making good runs more important, go back to points for each session, so #1 in session gets 16 points and #2 in session gets 15 points down to #16 gets 1 point. This would make the tuners want to make every run important, not the measly 3 you get for being #1

Too many points, Make #1 get 10 points #2 gets 7 points #3 gets 6 points and so on till you get to 1. You could make up 2 rounds in qualifying,

This way you may want to swing for fences but just a little more cautiously.

and still pedal it because you may out qualify someone else.
I would think that would make the typical #9 to 16 car tuners and drivers want to "swing harder" and gamble too much. They would want every stinking point they could get and the bottom of the field would be doing even more passes of the “brap/bang/coast” variety while oiling down the track, empting someone’s wallet and letting the tractors have more track time than the racecars. If there are only 14 to 16 cars like typically show up, they are in the field and now the carrot would be there for them to collect as many small points as they can so some other bottom ladder car doesn't get them.

Instead of adding pressure to perform and “go for the fence” each pass, let them score with 4 of drag racings equivalent of baseball’s 4 singles or 3 singles and a triple that’s “oil free”. The spectators would see more complete passes and less of the tractors.

The comment on the posting about Pomona’s Sunday crowd said that many of the fans were in the pits when the nitro cars were running. That they paid that much to be there but were not in the stands for the real show makes me think it was the newbie fans who are uninformed as to what is happening. If they were there for Friday's Q1’s smokefest, they may have thought that’s all they were going to see so the pits looked like more fun.

My guess is most new folks don’t know what the importance of a 3.63 is in comparison to a 3.83 is anyway. If the scoreboards were off they would be whooping and hollering just as much for a 3.83 run as they would for a 3.63 pass. Both are loud, awe inspiring runs to the newbie. But nobody is awed by multiple tractor passes cleaning up oil.