CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-24-2018
Super Moderator

Default New Win Light Format In Qualifying

Not sure if this is going to help or make it worse on the newbies.....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...internationals
Old 01-24-2018

I think this is going to make it worse. I saw a video of a drag race that was in an email I received from an internet magazine and everyone kept saying the Camaro beat the CTS-V because he had the faster time despite crossing the line second due to a slower reaction time. In heads up racing the CTS-V still would have won and in bracket racing if he did not go under his dial-in the CTS-V would have still won the race.

So I do not see how this helps new people out, they will see this in qualifying and then the opposite in eliminations on a holeshot win and not know what is going on. Reaction times are part of drag racing and something one must learn.

https://youtu.be/xXGdtljsvTQ Video I was talking about with comments like, The Camaro ran an 11.99 at 122mph while the CTS ran a 12.32 at 114. In what universe did the Caddy win. Learn basic drag racing boys. Thats handicap racing. Learn it, live it, love it.

I guess it does not matter the CTS-V crossed the finish line first.
Old 01-24-2018

Alan had a thread about this topic on Nitromater after the season.

How about turning off the win light in qualifying? Most people that attend national events are there for the power of the car and the atmosphere of the event.

Do you think they will take out full page adds and TV spots promoting this new idea? "We will have a true winner in each qualifying run."
Old 01-24-2018

What would be nice would be is if they showed positions each racer was qualified in. They could easily do this on jumbotrons. Would be neat if they kept the order up on the screen continuoulsy through each session and updated it in real-time.... even if it didn't show all the ET's. The way it's done now is it's shown at the end of the session for maybe 15 seconds.
Old 01-24-2018

They always worry about newbies and let us old farts just get exhausted with the changes. I guess we will be dying off so they better get new fans.

Dont like messing with anything with the lights. What happens when someone wins on a holeshot but someone didnt or did flick a switch?
Old 01-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
What would be nice would be is if they showed positions each racer was qualified in. They could easily do this on jumbotrons. Would be neat if they kept the order up on the screen continuoulsy through each session and updated it in real-time.... even if it didn't show all the ET's. The way it's done now is it's shown at the end of the session for maybe 15 seconds.
Good idea - Actually in the Pro Classes a “Live ladder” would be fairly easy also. These track guys don’t realize that the world is not working on a Radio Shack 8 byte system anymore that requires manual input (No need for cobal or fortran). No reason why the TV screen or Jumbotron couldn’t have it on one side as the cars go down. I do understand why they are showing the better qualified car (Bike) with a Light, but it is not a “win” light it just shows who got the better time and does not address the qualifying position and how many people can see it anyway. The lane assignment is pre determined after (actually before) the first round anyway and they know the pairing order so there isn’t any surprises making it much of a problem.
Old 01-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPMFAN View Post
How about turning off the win light in qualifying? Most people that attend national events are there for the power of the car and the atmosphere of the event.
I've seen all ages in the stands place bets on who will win. From young kids just having fun, to adult$ having $ome fun a$ well
Old 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
Good idea - Actually in the Pro Classes a “Live ladder” would be fairly easy also. These track guys don’t realize that the world is not working on a Radio Shack 8 byte system anymore that requires manual input (No need for cobal or fortran). No reason why the TV screen or Jumbotron couldn’t have it on one side as the cars go down. I do understand why they are showing the better qualified car (Bike) with a Light, but it is not a “win” light it just shows who got the better time and does not address the qualifying position and how many people can see it anyway. The lane assignment is pre determined after (actually before) the first round anyway and they know the pairing order so there isn’t any surprises making it much of a problem.
If they truly want the young fan to get into it, they will stream it to their smart phones with free wifi
Old 01-25-2018

Time to change the whole timing system. Timer should start when the green light comes on not when the car leaves the line.

I hear "but it has always been that way". No it has not. Remember drag racing started with a flag man and no timers. Then timers were put in but there was no way to coordinate the timers with the flagman so it was just setup to time the cars. Then the christmas tree was put in but but not connected to the timers as it is today.

It is time to put the 2 together and when the green comes on the clock starts.

Instant green would be another great idea because it would cut down on red lights which take away from the racing.
You could still continue to issue reaction times but will have no effect on the ET

For the naysayers, name me another racing competition that the slower times wins.
Old 01-25-2018

Rallye car racing, you are given XX amount of time to run the course, if you hit the time exactly you win, too fast and you lose