CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson77 View Post
Time to change the whole timing system. Timer should start when the green light comes on not when the car leaves the line.
Boy would that make bracket racing a nightmare. If they ever change the system away from driver reaction being separate from car performance, that is the day I stop racing and stop watching.
Old 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
Boy would that make bracket racing a nightmare. If they ever change the system away from driver reaction being separate from car performance, that is the day I stop racing and stop watching.
I agree, to me a lot of the excitement is seeing the drivers performance and the cars performance, and his way you would never know if it was the driver or the car that got the win.
Old 01-25-2018

The scoreboards ought to "flash" a perfect light, dead on or new record/low et and stay on a few seconds longer. Give folks a chance to take a cellphone picture of it.

Make it special like MLB stadium scoreboards do for homeruns.
Old 01-25-2018

A question I asked my dad back in the early 80's was "if the red light doesn't matter in qualifying, why is there a win light in qualifying?"

I appreciate that Alan is trying to improve the experience for newbies - but based on feedback from GROUPS of newbies we've taken to races this past year that volunteered at our Right2Breathe screening events, explaining the win light during eliminations is the most common.

The question most heard, "If the car on the left ran faster (speed) and quicker (ET) than the other car on the right - how did the right lane win?" That actually permits a great educational opportunity to explain the holeshot concept - to which most new fans say - "Oh, that's cool."

I think the best way to reduce the confusion in qualifying would be to remove the win light during qualifying - since nobody really WINS the side-by-side race.

Plus, many newbies attend the event only (1) day - most of the time on Saturday or Sunday. If they are there both days, and there are two different "win light" criteria; that would likely make it more confusing.

...just my $0.02...
Old 01-25-2018

I also agree with removing it entirely over changing it to the best ET of the pair. They have always said and announced for years during qualifying that you are racing the clock not the other driver. The win lights just came on as a formality because there was still a driver that finished first in the "race." I honestly thought that nobody even cared about them. I've never once heard a person confused by someone being #1 qualifier but the other guys win light was on. Maybe it's because i'm anti-social at the race track?
Old 01-25-2018

Hemi has a great idea. I often wondered why they didn't better utilize the jumbotrons. Think of the advertising possibilities if they ran a ribbon along the bottom of the qualifying sheet during each session. Can't believe the bean counters at Glendora haven't tried this already.
Old 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
The scoreboards ought to "flash" a perfect light, dead on or new record/low et and stay on a few seconds longer. Give folks a chance to take a cellphone picture of it.

Make it special like MLB stadium scoreboards do for homeruns.
Great idea!
Old 01-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
If they truly want the young fan to get into it, they will stream it to their smart phones with free wifi
....then there's that too.

Whatever happened to the wireless cards for Gameboys?
Old 01-25-2018

I started this thread a year or two ago.
"It's Time to Professionalize the Drag Strip Experience."

(Probably me being too long winded for reply.... but it was my attempt to improve the experience.)

Out of all the professional stick and ball sports, I think baseball is the most like drag racing. You’ve got the one on one dual of pitcher vs. batter. There’s plenty of time between pitches just like between passes at the drag strip. Baseball fanatics, coaches and players are statics loving junkies just like drag racers and fans love all the minute details of the car and it’s 60’, 330’, 660’, 1000’ and 1320’ ET and MPH numbers. Baseball has era numbers, strikeout numbers, batting averages and the number of home runs each player has. Drag racing has driver reaction time averages, their number of red lights along with their number of hole shot wins and losses.

There’s even a correlation between the number and types of drag strips and the number and types of baseball parks. There’s the MLB ballparks (big and bigger) like the NHRA national event tracks. There’s the Triple A ball parks, like IHRA’s national event tracks and then there’s all the smaller ball parks from college size on down to the little league fields just like the many 1/8 and mile drag strips where some are of great quality and some not so great quality.

So what can drag racing do to be regarded with the respect and popularity of baseball? Start treating drag racing like baseball’s team owners do baseball games. Sure, clean restrooms and great hot dogs are no brainers. But what about those great baseball scoreboards that list everything about the game that being played? Why doesn’t drag racing’s greatest tracks have a “scorecard” for everyone to see during the complete game.. er race? List the qualifying ladder and keep it up while adding the round results to it for the full race. It’s the same as showing what inning a baseball team scored their runs and how the ups and downs of the baseball game progressed.

But also list the driver’s reaction time and number of hole shot wins when he/she’s ready to make a pass just like they do with batting averages and homeruns hit for the batter at the plate.

Someone will say tracks already have the scoreboards at the top end. Yeah, they are great and I sure remember the time tracks didn't have them. They are now a requirement and not an option for track owners. But how many of you have looked up to see the numbers again just as the tower clears the clocks for the next pair? The scoreboards I'm suggesting could have the past pair numbers still up while the next pair is staging and their personal history is posted.

Give us statistics! Then everyone can talk about the action on the track intelligently. We can learn who we like and who’s good and who’s about to “be sent down to the minors”. I just attended a couple college wooden bat league games and even that small stadium had a great scoreboard to keep their small crowd up to date on the game. An informed crowd is a happy crowd.

Have you ever been to a drag strip where the PA system broke? I have and it’s never pleasant. Nobody knows who is up, how many cars were left in each eliminator, who broke out or why a car was backed off the line. Big time irritating! The action can be great, but the crowds didn’t have a clue that the Super Pro final was on the line and how much that race was worth in money or how it affected the points standings. A decent scoreboard would have eliminated much of the racer and spectator frustration and would be highly appreciated even when the PA system works well.

Notice how professional stick and ball sports don’t need to throw t-shirts to their crowd. They keep their crowd informed and happy by way of scoreboards so the announcer can talk about the real items of interest and not just keep announcing ET and MPH numbers that are so important and should already be available. Baseball announcers don’t talk all the time either. They either have something intelligent to say or they shut up and let the crowd enjoy the game. It’s time many of the drag strip announcers only talk when they have something intelligent to say.

Drag racing specific score boards would be a welcome addition to every track.
Old 01-25-2018

Yup..... and have smller ones scattered around the pits and concession ares.

15" screens above each urinal too! Or is that pushing it little?