CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-06-2018

Default My Winternationals Memories

Just days away from another "meet" at Pomona, the great Winternationals, the "Big Go West." So here are some of my Parker Avenue memories in no order.

Must go with my first in 65, the crazy busy one day wonder. After 2 years of Lions and San Fernando and others my dad thought I was ready for this race. Got fogged out on Friday, rained out on Saturday so it was that famous race on Sunday. Some 3000 plus runs on one day. As a reasonably young guy, that was my first national event. Started at 7:00am. Was whipped at the end of the day.

Phil Featherston's back-to-back wins in Comp in 75 and 79 with that blown Opel, very popular.

The 67 event was super special. That weekend and Sunday in particular, we sat around people from Foulger Frord, Russ Davis and Galpin Ford and man-o-man were they rootin' for Connie in that Cammer to win. 5 rounds of racing, the longer the day went and the more the beer flowed, it got intense. When he ran that 7.17 to beat Gene Golman, they went off.

The 68 and 69 wins by James Warren and the Zookeeper. My dad was in near tears when Mulligan won as that was his fav.

The 78 event, It took 2 weekends and 2 days to finish. Little did I know that would be my last Winternationals with my dad. Kelly Brown, the Snake and Bob Glidden, my dad loved Prudhomme.

1979, my first Winternationals without my dad, he was diagnosed with cancer the day after Christmas in 78 and was too sick in 79. It was tough after 14 years of going all 3 days for 14 years each Feb.

The 70 event with the debut of Pro Stock with the Grump, Jack Ditmars, Barry Poole winning SS and Dixon taking AA/FD in the Howard Cam Rat.

A no brainer event with "Big" winning TF with the back engine ride, Walt Stevens win in the Odd Couple.

1980. The first Pomona with my soon to be wife. After that she was hooked and attended every Pomona with me thru 2010 until we moved out of So-Cal.

Can't remember the year, one of the many nights they opened the gates on Sat night at midnite I think. The scramble to get to your seats. Some of the cars in their haste went thru the parking lot looking like the Lucas Oil Off Road Series. We got in. ran up to the top row and set down blankets on our seats. Then all thru the night with that big ol searchlight shining down the track, listening to these bikers jackwagons hurling suey and other obscenities at the police patrolling the track. They got too hammered thru the night, never saw those dopes on race day.

Just a few with more to follow.......It's Winterantionals time!!!!

Thanx Dad
TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer
Old 02-06-2018
Super Moderator

That's a lot of Winternationals you've been too! Great memories, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-08-2018

You are welcome, here are some more.

The 71 event may have been one of the darkest days of the races conducted at Pomona. The Monday edition of the LA Times headlined the sports section with, "Slaughternationals." Why? That event we lost Georgia AA/FD legend "Sneaky Pete Robinson." He crashed that vacuum ride as they called it then on what in my estimation was going to be a great run. Then Rob Boltz in the pits in a altered gas it in the pits, lost control, then belted a lady and she passed.

1990. The crazy event where Lori Johns won Top Fuel, that dude, KC Spurlock won AA/FC after getting his license just days before.

1992 when Epler beat Force and Herbert ran an .88 !

1993 when King Kenny wreck in the AA/FD final.

1996 when Blaine Johnson won Top Fuel, that was awesome.

AA/FA, A/Street Roadster, and A/Modified Production class action back in the day.

TopFuel@Lions
Old 02-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel@Lions View Post
You are welcome, here are some more.

The 71 event may have been one of the darkest days of the races conducted at Pomona. The Monday edition of the LA Times headlined the sports section with, "Slaughternationals." Why? That event we lost Georgia AA/FD legend "Sneaky Pete Robinson." He crashed that vacuum ride as they called it then on what in my estimation was going to be a great run. Then Rob Boltz in the pits in a altered gas it in the pits, lost control, then belted a lady and she passed.

1990. The crazy event where Lori Johns won Top Fuel, that dude, KC Spurlock won AA/FC after getting his license just days before.

1992 when Epler beat Force and Herbert ran an .88 !

1993 when King Kenny wreck in the AA/FD final.

1996 when Blaine Johnson won Top Fuel, that was awesome.

AA/FA, A/Street Roadster, and A/Modified Production class action back in the day.

TopFuel@Lions

I gotta say that I always enjoy reading what you put in here, and I am quite jealous at your ability to remeber dates, names and events......
Old 02-09-2018

Fun posts Lions.

During my days living in Long Beach, my (now) wife took me to the Winters for my birthday 1988. I started following drag racing in about 1968 when I would read about the races in "Panama". It was a long time coming to finally spend that weekend at Pomona.

Poster on my wall at about age nine - now displayed proudly in my living room.
Old 02-09-2018

That picture rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TopFuel@Lions
Old 02-11-2018

I remember when I was young and I would wait for Wide World of Sports to televise the Winternationals. I was so in awe of drag racing and thought it would never get better than that. Well drag racing has come a long way along with the media. No longer have to wait to see who won. Hopefully the location of the Winternationals never has to change!