CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-11-2018
Administrator

Default Details on Brittany Force Crash

Being kept in the hospital for observation...

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...d-crash-pomona

Video and other Round 1 carnage...

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...for-evaluation

----------------------------

Last edited by Willy; 02-12-2018 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Updated article link
Old 02-11-2018

Bruised lungs an a lot of pain, but she'll be ok.
Old 02-11-2018

It was a hard hit, much harder than it appeared on TV. Years back, there was an Indy car driver who was killed on impact....his belts were tight but the organs in his body broke loose from the impact. I suppose that may be what they are looking at......I know no one wants to hear this, and it would obsolete a lot of parts, but one day something really, really bad is going to happen. It's time to slow those cars down.
Old 02-11-2018

On some other type of track guardrail I saw what looked like 3" PVC square tubing attached vertically side by side against the K rail. Seems like a good - safer substance to impact than
solid concrete. Would obviously be a nice cushion.
Old 02-11-2018

Why does it seem like there are a lot major crashes with the fuel cars at Pomona.
Old 02-11-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1118 View Post
It was a hard hit, much harder than it appeared on TV. Years back, there was an Indy car driver who was killed on impact....his belts were tight but the organs in his body broke loose from the impact. I suppose that may be what they are looking at......I know no one wants to hear this, and it would obsolete a lot of parts, but one day something really, really bad is going to happen. It's time to slow those cars down.
Its upsetting for everyone when these things happen, no question. Its important though to look carefully at any incident to understand what were the main contributing factors. She crossed the center line before the 330. Speed is not the culprit here. No expense is spared for safety on these cars and they are BY FAR more well-built than ever in the sport's history.

They are always working to make them safer. But the hardest factor to anticipate and plan for is the driver. Every single day at the track is a learning experience. The time to be most vigilant in expecting the unexpected is when you are on top. I've yet to find a sport that has a bigger kick-in-the-teeth-when-you-least-expect it possibilty.

I'm glad she's okay. I have no doubt she'll learn from it and be even better.
Old 02-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I'm glad she's okay. I have no doubt she'll learn from it and be even better.
I'm glad she'll be OK too. But is it just me or does it look like the car wasn't settled back down when she stabbed the throttle again? I'll have to watch again, but I don't think it was even pointed straight down the track on that last stab.
Old 02-12-2018

Looks like to me from the injector blades she caught it at the right time, but the car didn't look settled.

I think it's time to look at the walls Indy and NASCAR now uses. That slo-mo you can see her smacking the inside of the car. It looked scary to me, especially when the canopy didn't open until someone arrived to open it.
Old 02-12-2018

Yeah I was going by wheelspeed, butI guess you can't expect them to stop spinning the instant the throttle is lifted.

I've been saying that about the walls for years.
Old 02-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
Why does it seem like there are a lot major crashes with the fuel cars at Pomona.
because they want to run a number for these sponsors. really looked light on downforce, looked like she got out of it in enough time, but got back in it for that split second when she was not straight again.

Cant be running these 3.60 times with alot of downforce but the inmates are running the asylum again.