CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-26-2015
Administrator

Default NHRA Drivers Weigh in on Street Outlaws Controversy

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...outlaws-debate

----------------------------
Old 02-27-2015

Some real good points made by Schumacher, Brown, Morgan and Erica. I am pretty much in the same line of thinking as Tony. I watch the show, I like it because it's racing. But it is dangerous.
Old 02-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerMotor View Post
I think Brown "gets it", but The Suits don't. They could care less about anything that's not being run within their class structure. And they discourage no prep grudge racing at their member tracks.
Would you want to be liable should a driver in a Street car got killed at your track? I doubt it....
Old 02-27-2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnitro View Post
Would you want to be liable should a driver in a Street car got killed at your track? I doubt it....
Why should the type of car matter as long as it passes tech and the driver is properly licensed? In fact NHRA (& IHRA) promotes it. http://www.nhra.com/streetlegal/default.aspx

Fast street car racing is a regular part of the program at many tracks across the country. In fact the track that Tony Schumacher made his very first pass (in a street Chevelle) is open 6 days a week to all cars that pass tech per NHRA/IHRA specs. Besides days that are reserved for cars running slicks where the track is dragged and sprayed, they also run a monthy Real Street Drags program & big dollar King of The Streets twice a year with minimal track prep. Very popular with local racers and spectators.....

Drag racing does not begin and end with the Mello Yello series....

----------------------------
Old 02-27-2015

To me it confirms the lack of organization within the organization. Especially when you hear all the pro teams admit that Glendora needs to do more than just be ban them, but rather include/educate them in some way like Wally's legacy.

Thanks for the follow-up
Old 02-27-2015

I don't get the appeal of unprepped surfaces. If I were to go to all the effort to build a car, I'd only want to run it on a well prepped track.
Old 02-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
To me it confirms the lack of organization within the organization. Especially when you hear all the pro teams admit that Glendora needs to do more than just be ban them, but rather include/educate them in some way like Wally's legacy.

Thanks for the follow-up
Seems I wasn't too far off after all...but I'm sure some will still want to argue the point.

And some of the most fun I had driving my FED was at specialty, organized events (Rialto Airport, Terminal Island) where the surface was less than perfect. On runs like those, you don't even stop to get the time slip.
Old 02-27-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
I don't get the appeal of unprepped surfaces. If I were to go to all the effort to build a car, I'd only want to run it on a well prepped track.
X2!!

Its seems some people think that you get extra points for running on a crappy road/surface. What you get is broken parts and body damage. And I have a good friend who demolished his car at one of the "specialty" events at an old airstrip. Rolled it several times and salvaged zero from it.
Old 02-27-2015

You guys win. I'm wrong, you're right. Your buddy runs out of talent and that makes it wrong.

bye.
Old 02-27-2015
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connected View Post
You guys win. I'm wrong, you're right. Your buddy runs out of talent and that makes it wrong.

bye.
Talent is only part of what makes a car go down the track in a safe and effective manner. What I'd like to see is that if we're going to say how "cool" something is then let's make sure we accurately show all sides of the issue. That means we discuss all aspects of it from personal experience. You stated yours and I stated mine. Seems fair to me.