CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-13-2017

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Forty 2 View Post
Some tracks also need to be eliminated, like " Mud Puddle Grove " I mean Maple Grove . Between the weather ,track seepage and parking , enough is enough . Englishtown looks in need of a complete overhaul and any other tracks that can't stop a nitro car safely in a 1320 foot "proper" official drag race .
Agree here
Old 01-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Tough choice, gonna have to think on this for a bit. I agree with Willy that venues should not have more than one event though.
If they can fill the seats at both events, I disagree.
Old 01-13-2017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
If they can fill the seats at both events, I disagree.
You have a good point.
Old 01-13-2017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT1000 View Post
I also think that if declining car-counts is a continuing issue, then having fewer races would allow more teams to participate for the full season.
I agree with this. We have seen this not only in NHRA Pro Mod series but also local series' and events in my area (basically the whole west coast and parts of Canada actually) where the car count for active Pro Mods is very finite. TF could benefit quite a bit from say 20 races instead of 24.
Old 01-13-2017
Super Moderator

I guess it will depend on which view finder we are looking through.... the fan or the racer/race teams?
Old 01-13-2017

First off, the post I agree with most so far is GolfRacer's.

But my own thoughts are that it's double edge scenario.

Fewer events = less exposure to potential new fans to hook. And less exposure may be a turn-off to some sponsors.... including the series sponsor, Coca-Cola. Would they and others just demand a reduction in the fees they pay, or would they see no value and just walk away? But then would a shorter season be more appealing to other sponsors? It's hard to say and hard to know which way would be best. In regards to what's best for the part time racers, say we lopped off 6 events, would that really make a difference for them in the points chase when they're running 12 or fewer events... especially with the countdown format?
Old 01-13-2017

1 national event per site. Start a little later, end a little sooner. If some of the bigger sites like Charlotte want to hold a "Special Event" let them do it on an off week with no points but big money.
Old 01-13-2017

Baseball - Trying to slow the decline = 162 games
Basketball - Trying to stay relevant = 82 games
Hockey - Trying become relevant = 82 games
NASCAR - Falling faster than a plane with a dead engine = 36 races
Football - Number one sport on the planet = 16 games, no all star game / funny business during the season, but stalling because of day games, afternoon games, night games, Monday games, and especially Thursday games...
Old 01-13-2017

Selfishly I want more. Too many breaks in between races.
Old 01-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
First off, the post I agree with most so far is GolfRacer's.

But my own thoughts are that it's double edge scenario.

Fewer events = less exposure to potential new fans to hook. And less exposure may be a turn-off to some sponsors.... including the series sponsor, Coca-Cola. Would they and others just demand a reduction in the fees they pay, or would they see no value and just walk away? But then would a shorter season be more appealing to other sponsors? It's hard to say and hard to know which way would be best. In regards to what's best for the part time racers, say we lopped off 6 events, would that really make a difference for them in the points chase when they're running 12 or fewer events... especially with the countdown format?
First let me say - I adore Hemi_guy!

I'm emphasizing (again) the financial model. As someone posted - if a multiple venue packs 'em in...that's what counts.
Venue's that have been struggling should be looked at closely to either change date or cancel.
I've looked at the schedule and I think the schedule covers the population areas OK - considering the early start and weather.
A shorter season would result in less money from the sponsor. But consider this: A team owner takes 10% of the sponsorship money as profit - so $4M for the year is $400K profit. Maybe an 18 race deal is $2.8M which = $280K profit. The profit is based on the overall sponsorship payment over and above expenses. Maybe....the expenses are a little less but I'd hate to see the sport go backwards in exposure.
I keep wondering about a shorter season with some mid-summer breaks to allow for match racing. That would be paid for with sponsorship money and strategically spent where the sponsor wants. This intuitively seems to work - especially since you wouldn't be qualifying nor trying to rip the last rotor off the blower.
As discussed here a lot - auto racing is in a downward spiral but extreme sports are not. I think there's a model that works but it's a radical departure from current.