CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-14-2017

Agree, this is a difficult question to answer. But if I had to answer quickly, I'd say NO, there are not too many. Each event brings money into the NHRA thru ticket sales. Fewer events means less money. NHRA needs money for track equipment, Safety Safari, insurance, media coverage, payroll, etc.

I, for one, was so happy when they added the Epping, NH event in 2013 as there was no other event within a 4-hour drive time. Englishtown was the closest, and many New Englanders (and Canadians) could not make the trip to NJ.

BUT... If we ever remove ONE event, it should be the 4-wides. I HATE THAT RACE and could care less who wins it because it's not traditional drag racing. Also, the fans get screwed out of half of the matchups they'd normally watch since twice the number of cars race at once. It sucks -- I hope they remove it from the season. It's obviously just for "SHOW" and is not essential to the regular season.
Old 01-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcc9000 View Post
Agree, this is a difficult question to answer. But if I had to answer quickly, I'd say NO, there are not too many. Each event brings money into the NHRA thru ticket sales. Fewer events means less money. NHRA needs money for track equipment, Safety Safari, insurance, media coverage, payroll, etc.

I, for one, was so happy when they added the Epping, NH event in 2013 as there was no other event within a 4-hour drive time. Englishtown was the closest, and many New Englanders (and Canadians) could not make the trip to NJ.

BUT... If we ever remove ONE event, it should be the 4-wides. I HATE THAT RACE and could care less who wins it because it's not traditional drag racing. Also, the fans get screwed out of half of the matchups they'd normally watch since twice the number of cars race at once. It sucks -- I hope they remove it from the season. It's obviously just for "SHOW" and is not essential to the regular season.
Whether to or not keep the 4-wides should be next weeks question.
Old 01-14-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomotor View Post
Whether to or not keep the 4-wides should be next weeks question.
I think we should go 16 wide , but we will only need 15 lanes or less . Let a screwed up NASCAR guy , screw up , an already screwed up NHRA .
Old 01-14-2017

Less events equals less fans. May seem like it helps teams in the short run but you are cutting off fans from areas around the country. I don't see fans traveling further. Tough call. Perhaps some events need to go and new tracks elsewhere need to be invested in. Just no 4 wides.
Old 01-14-2017

Get rid of Vegas 1, the 4 Wides, and end the season in Vegas for starters.
Old 01-14-2017
Super Moderator

Poll is dead even right now 50/50.
Old 01-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Forty 2 View Post
I think we should go 16 wide , but we will only need 15 lanes or less . Let a screwed up NASCAR guy , screw up , an already screwed up NHRA .
I'm not a 4-wide lover at all, but I can handle one 4-wide a year as long as he keeps supplying us with some pretty nice facilities to race at. It could be a lot worse...we could have to race at crappy facilities like Pomona and Indy every race.
Old 01-14-2017

18 races should be a yes. Do 5 countdown races, leaves 13 for the season and a team gets to count his or her best of 10. So you could win championship doing 15 races. Race count and payout are the biggest problems NHRA have with low car counts. Just like myself Im only racing 15 cause it's just to much. But like some said you have to look through each persons view, fan and racer. No fans no money, no racers no race for the fan. Needs to be a meet in the middle scenario.

I have suggested before that you don't do away with races all together you skip certain places every year or two and rotate amongst them based off attendance and how there tracks do upgrades. Plus gives the excitement of them coming back to certain places. Epping is perfect example but the decline to me had started and seemed little fewer and fewer each year.
Old 01-14-2017

The problem isnít too many races but too many classes run at various races. Keep the schedule to at least 23 races so the T/F and F/C guys cannot go elsewhere easily and the crews still have full time jobs. Maybe make the four wide a non-points event.

Continue the part time schedules for Pro Mod, Pro Stock Bike and the various Sportsman Classes as they have the largest entry lists at every race. Maybe slightly reduce the number of races the various Alky/Sportsman/Pro Stock classes race to reduce their annual cost and time off work required to run for a championship. With the exception of Pro Stock, none of them race a full 24 race season now.

One way to save Pro Stock would be to reduce Pro Stock to 16-17 race schedule. It would reduce the seasonal costs so more of the lesser funded teams could run the full tour. This would also reduce the logic for big teams like Summit and Jegs to spend crazy money on Pro Stock. Their extreme spending is another major reason the smaller teams logically donít go to all 24 races. Extreme spending and the number of Pro Stock races are the major reasons Pro Stock entries are about half what they were in the 70ís, 80ís and 90ís.

The major companies that market in Pro Stock like Jegs and Summit can still promote their businesses elsewhere in drag racing. Especially marketing in the Sportsman ranks where most of their NHRA customers reside. Jegs is apparently seeing the change in the Pro Stock ROI as Jeggie only races about Ĺ time. A significant amount of their money is now going to T/F as they must know Pro Stock isnít the big deal it was 25 years ago.

Reducing the number of Pro Stock races in particular is one way to keep Pro Stock relevant and alive by increasing the number of entrants at each event.

Track operators that would lose their NHRA National Event would replace it with something else and NHRAís status as the leader would be diminished while the drag racing community would be further fractured. We have NHRA, IHRA (sort of), NMRA, NMCA, IDBA, the Duck, PDRA, Heritage Series and about 20 other programs all trying to grow their market. Companies like Jegs and Summit would be forced to spend more of their money in "non" NHRA events to reach the gearheads of those market areas.

NHRA shouldnít give up market share while still refining their races to provide the best in drag racing.
Old 01-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
But like some said you have to look through each persons view, fan and racer
.... and sponsors.