CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 11-16-2011
Administrator

Default Muscle Car Wars.....

Some months ago Chevy introduced the 2012 Camaro ZL1 with 580 hp
supercharged 6.2-liter V8 to go after the 550 hp Shelby Mustang GT500....

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/111119916

Well the SVT guys at Ford weren't gonna stick with the status quo....feast your eyes & save your nickles.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...ELES/111119925

What ya got Chrysler????

----------------------------
Old 11-16-2011

that's a lot of ponies in the pony car.... that definitely raises the bar big time... so much for the fear of muscle cars losing their muscle with stringent emissions restrictions... i bet it gets pretty good mpg...

(i'm gonna have to squeeze out another 100/150hp on my engine now to keep up with that... i've been enjoying beating all the new muscle cars in my street class with my bondomobile, especially all the new mustangs... i know i have the spray to stay ahead of this new 'stang, but to really match it i need to match it all-motor... well, i've got 5 months till next track day to get busy ha)
Old 11-16-2011

How come I can only run a Cobra Jet Mustang when it comes to Stock in NHRA? Why can't I run a new Shelby GT500, GT or even V6 Mustang? Thousands of young people drive these cars yet can't run them in NHRA Stock. Way to keep your younger fan base and future fan base interested in your sport.
Old 11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonabike View Post
that's a lot of ponies in the pony car.... that definitely raises the bar big time... so much for the fear of muscle cars losing their muscle with stringent emissions restrictions... i bet it gets pretty good mpg...

(i'm gonna have to squeeze out another 100/150hp on my engine now to keep up with that... i've been enjoying beating all the new muscle cars in my street class with my bondomobile, especially all the new mustangs... i know i have the spray to stay ahead of this new 'stang, but to really match it i need to match it all-motor... well, i've got 5 months till next track day to get busy ha)
Why do you have to do it all motor? It's got a blower on it.... It would be impressive though for you to keep up N.A.!!!
Old 11-16-2011

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtcoDave View Post
How come I can only run a Cobra Jet Mustang when it comes to Stock in NHRA? Why can't I run a new Shelby GT500, GT or even V6 Mustang? Thousands of young people drive these cars yet can't run them in NHRA Stock. Way to keep your younger fan base and future fan base interested in your sport.
Dave, same thing with the Challenger. The street Challenger is not legal for Stock. Only the DragPak, with it's various engines. OEM's must submit the car/engine specs to NHRA, who must OK them and add them to the Classification Guide to become eligible for S/SS. Chevy's V6 Camaro is not yet legal either. I guess the factories want their purpose-built racecars only, for the most part.
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested
Old 11-16-2011

I hear you Mike and you are probably correct but it's a shame that a younger person with a run of the mill Mustang GT can't run Stock when we all know that is a real Stocker, not the Cobra Jet and it's made up HP.
Old 11-16-2011

Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

I agree 100%. Maybe IHRA will take the initiative. I have two friends, former Stock racers, with street cars (one a 4,200 pound Hemi street Challenger, the other with a V6 '09 Camaro), maybe IHRA will allow them for Pure Stock.
Looking for 2016 S/SS Race Sponsors. Contact Me if interested

Tags
camaro, challenger, mustang