CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > CompetitionPlus Forums > General discussion

Old 08-13-2017
Super Moderator

Default Great Lakes Dragway shooting

This isn't good...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/13...-2-others.html
Old 08-14-2017

Default Shooting at WI Drag Strip.

Three dead.
Old 08-14-2017
Administrator

Angry

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/l...ple/563695001/

https://youtu.be/yt8AAa_gO6Q

----------------------------
Old 08-14-2017

Quote:
“This is not indicative of this crowd. This is isolated and this is somebody who had a grudge with somebody and they came here and they really ruined a family event for people,”
We're in a different world these days folks.
Glad to hear in multiple story's that drag racing does not attract this type of crowd.
Old 08-14-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
We're in a different world these days folks.
Glad to hear in multiple story's that drag racing does not attract this type of crowd.
Haven't been to a Lights Out event at Milan have you? I went once and left within a hour. As far as I know, ther's been no shootings there but if it were to happen, I wouldn't be shocked.
Old 08-14-2017
Administrator

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...wo-drag-strips

Old 08-14-2017
Super Moderator

Just terrible to see this happen at a race event.
Old 08-15-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Just terrible to see this happen at a race event.
It is. And as a regular visitor and supporter of Great Lakes Dragaway, it makes me quite angry.

The reported circumstances of this incident make me even angrier. Criminal acts have no place at a race track. Criminal actors are unwelcome at a race track.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/c...ays/565672001/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...813-story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
Despite that, many news article comments have come from those that don't know this facility. And even a few by some individuals that should know better. They make me really angry. This incident and those involved do not characterize the activities that take place here, and it certainly does not characterize the typical atmosphere at GLD.

I do hope to see appropriate steps taken where management holds outside organizers that stage events here to account. Over this incident and especially going forward. I also hope to see management strengthen their ties to local law enforcement to assure safe events.

I've been asked by several people if I intend on going back to GLD. Most by those that have never attended a drag race there or anywhere where else for that matter.

What a dumb question.... Of course I will. As soon as this Saturday in fact.

We all have a stake in seeing our local tracks thrive and remain free of criminal violence. If you see something suspicious or witness criminal acts, alert security or track management. And if your local track is staging events that invite a criminal element, you must voice your objection and withhold your support.

Trust me. Opponents of motor racing facilities will use this incident as the rationale to shut small tracks down. It's up to us to support the tracks that operate above board, and do our part to maintain a violence free environment.

Old 08-16-2017

Because of a separate tragic event, drag racing gets black eye again:

Dodge Deletes 'Roadkill Nights' Posts After Charlottesville Tragedy And Social Media Backlash
David Tracy - Today 12:20pm

Quote:
In the wake of what happened the same weekend in Charlottesville—the suspect charged with plowing into a crowd and killing Heyer and wounding 20 others was driving a Dodge Challenger—the automaker and the event met with a serious backlash.

Bloomberg spoke with Scott Monty from Brain+Trust Partners, a consulting firm that helps companies manage social media accounts. He told the news wire that he thought Dodge’s Roadkill Nights posts were “tone deaf,” saying:*It seems to me completely tone deaf that [Dodge] wouldn’t acknowledge that it was one of their vehicles that was very clearly identified in the weekend’s events...Having a hashtag that is so similar or at least related to what happened, you would think they would just eradicate any existence of that.

For its part, Fiat Chrysler sent Bloomberg a statement via email, saying: “It’s unfortunate that such a pure, safe, family friendly automotive event was linked to such a senseless, horrific act.” The spokesperson also told the site that Dodge had prematurely put an end to what was originally going to be a much bigger social media campaign.
Full article and the ad's:
http://jalopnik.com/dodge-deletes-ro...ium=socialflow
Old 08-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
... many news article comments have come from those that don't know this facility. And even a few by some individuals that should know better. They make me really angry. This incident and those involved do not characterize the activities that take place here, and it certainly does not characterize the typical atmosphere at GLD.

We all have a stake in seeing our local tracks thrive and remain free of criminal violence. If you see something suspicious or witness criminal acts, alert security or track management. And if your local track is staging events that invite a criminal element, you must voice your objection and withhold your support.

Trust me. Opponents of motor racing facilities will use this incident as the rationale to shut small tracks down. It's up to us to support the tracks that operate above board, and do our part to maintain a violence free environment.
Absolutely. The ones I read/watched early on were the local print and tv station who interviewed the racers and spectators and they all agreed with you and I.