CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 07-18-2010

Default anyone noticing the chute problems at Sonoma?

so far as of the end of the 2nd rounds, i count two cars where their chutes didn't blossom right, and Dunn didn't mention a thing about them.... first it was Schumacher in either round 1 or round 2, the chutes deployed but didn't blossom clean, it was just a mess of useless spinning laundry out back... and the same just happened to Tasca in round 2... i saw a chute but it never blossomed right and just spun out of control doing very little... Glad they both got their cars stopped, but i bet they both were wondering why they had to lean on the brakes so hard
Old 07-18-2010

Yeah, I noticed Schu's chutes fouled both rounds.
Old 07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonabike View Post
so far as of the end of the 2nd rounds, i count two cars where their chutes didn't blossom right, and Dunn didn't mention a thing about them.... first it was Schumacher in either round 1 or round 2, the chutes deployed but didn't blossom clean, it was just a mess of useless spinning laundry out back... and the same just happened to Tasca in round 2... i saw a chute but it never blossomed right and just spun out of control doing very little... Glad they both got their cars stopped, but i bet they both were wondering why they had to lean on the brakes so hard
i am not sure but isn't there like a hill they climb there at the end of the track if so maybe that is why i dont know.
Old 07-18-2010
Tim5636sc

..yeah and thankfully they had that extra 320 feet to stop...
Old 07-18-2010

Default at least it was a safe race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3no2jfr View Post
i am not sure but isn't there like a hill they climb there at the end of the track if so maybe that is why i dont know.
hmm, not sure how a track elevation change would have any effect at all on the chutes on a car traveling those speeds (or any speed), even if it was traveling straight up.

glad the race was safe though!

some great racing, fast jack and tasca's race was uber close, a tiny 4 thousandth's holeshot win over tasca... wow

and nice to see Capps getting a win finally, looks like it's true what they say, two heads are better that one with medlen working with ace

and dixon takes out schu... how many times have these guys gone to the finals together?

and congrats to mike phillips with the national speed record of 197.65, and the win

and jeg pulls it off again...

nice to see melanie go to the 2nd round, though it wasn't pretty, too bad her tires went up in smoke, would've been nice to see her go to a 3rd round

and too bad densham couldn't take melanie out, i'm sure he could've used the money after grenade'ing his good body... but he gave it his all
Old 07-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim5636sc View Post
..yeah and thankfully they had that extra 320 feet to stop...
yeah if it was one of the shorter tracks it may have been a bit different of an outcome... i wonder just how long it took for them to stop with those messed up chutes? the cameras didn't stay on them long enough to tell.

wish we had internet access to a landsat or spy satellite, and could watch the race from above... hmmmm... i wonder how hard it would be to hack into one of those?
Old 07-18-2010

Quote:
i wonder how hard it would be to hack into one of those?
Easier than breaking out of Leavenworth, I'm pretty sure.
Old 07-19-2010

thats really a valley between mountains right? anyone know what the altitude is there? I know at the beginning of 1000 foot racing, people were saying that denver should stay at 1320 since power is reduced and they cant get great speed or et there, but the argument was the light air didnt blossom chutes as well so it was equally hard to stop even with their long runoff there.

I dont know, every time I see a chute spinning in the wind I feel the chute cord wasnt straightened out well so the pilot chute pulls the canopy and it just opens immediately. I've packed enough chutes in my day to remember verifying no twisted lines before folding.
Old 07-19-2010

Send a message via AIM to Tom Joseph

Quote:
So what's the point? Means the crew guy who packed the chutes is brain dead?...OH that's supposed to be the driver but who knows but it's not NHRA's fault or the track or the altitude which is about 700 ft but the Moron packing them. My son won't even let you close to him when he packs his chutes on his PM car.
Old 07-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joseph View Post
So what's the point? Means the crew guy who packed the chutes is brain dead?...OH that's supposed to be the driver but who knows but it's not NHRA's fault or the track or the altitude which is about 700 ft but the Moron packing them. My son won't even let you close to him when he packs his chutes on his PM car.
i wasn't making any point, just an observation... wondering if anyone else noticed it, and/or wondering why a chute would not blossom correctly... a bit scary to watch knowing all the crashes and fatalities into the sandtraps lately