CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-02-2018
Administrator

Thumbs up

Anyone else catch Bobby Bennett adding MM PS commentary alongside Reinhart on AllAccess yesterday?

----------------------------
Old 09-02-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainesfan View Post
Is there a protocol in Pro Mod about who is supposed to stage first? If not, why is Ricky considered to burn down Dan? This was interesting to watch as even Alan mentioned a burndown virtually never happens in qualifying.
No, he did not "burn down" Dan. Its no secret that Rickie doesn't give an inch. If somebody thinks that wouldn't apply to qualifying, they haven't been paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
There is a protocol that the turbo cars get to stage last. I guess Rickie wasn't having any of that.
Incorrect. There is a feeling among SOME of the turbo racers that they should get to stage last. Not so and not in any rule book either. Turbo cars are plenty capable nowadays to stage first. Auto-start is engaged so nobody is being "burned down" like in the early days.
Old 09-02-2018

Sorry, no, its not in the rule book, but a gentlemans agreement. Apparently Rickie didn't want to be a gentleman.
Old 09-02-2018

… ha ha... reminds me of the Snake U.S. Nationals 1989:

https://youtu.be/HB0H6V8TsfA?t=6m57s
Old 09-02-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sorry, no, its not in the rule book, but a gentlemans agreement. Apparently Rickie didn't want to be a gentleman.
It has nothing to do with being a "gentleman". Its racing and well within ANYBODY's rights under the rules. I personally like having friends out there but I am not racing for a living however Ricki is. I think we may be forgetting that. The people that are doing this for a living are not there to make friends when they pull up to the starting line. Its their livelihood.
Old 09-02-2018
Super Moderator

Pretty excited that they get two more qual runs today! That's got to be a fun weekend!
Old 09-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
It has nothing to do with being a "gentleman". Its racing and well within ANYBODY's rights under the rules. I personally like having friends out there but I am not racing for a living however Ricki is. I think we may be forgetting that. The people that are doing this for a living are not there to make friends when they pull up to the starting line. Its their livelihood.
It is qualifying. The only think you are racing is the clock. Round 1? Go for it. Qualifying? #%@! move.
Old 09-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
. There is a feeling among SOME of the turbo racers that they should get to stage last.
seems to me if i'm driving a turbo car , I prefer to stage first, given the way they have to 'jerk' the car into the beams, then that way u have a sec or two, while the other car stages, to collect yourself and cut a good light
Old 09-02-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is qualifying. The only think you are racing is the clock. Round 1? Go for it. Qualifying? #%@! move.
de, I understand how that looks and why you feel this way but think about.... if you were to use some mind game fun shall we say, as one of your major MO's then starting that in qualifying would be ideal. The idea is to get the other guy off balance as soon as possible. Why wait till race day? Its likely that Dan spends the weekend miffed and possibly stewing instead of concentrating on his program. Mission accomplished. In reality, its a driver's job to learn to a) control his emotions and b) not let the other guy control his emotions. Frankly, by learning to deal with Rickie A LOT of drivers have become better at both.
Old 09-02-2018
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoGrump View Post
seems to me if i'm driving a turbo car , I prefer to stage first, given the way they have to 'jerk' the car into the beams, then that way u have a sec or two, while the other car stages, to collect yourself and cut a good light
I'm told staging a turbo car is hard and there is a lot of evidence of those who have really struggled. Just as a sidenote, the absolute worst burn down I've ever witnessed and I'm talking melted converters and transmission fire happened between two turbo cars who were racing each other. There are plenty of ruthless turbo racers out there so its not limited to nitrous/blower against turbos. Everybody looks for the weakness in others to exploit. This is really a huge piece of why auto-start came to be.