RIP Anita
#HelmetsOutForAnita

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watc...-boards-death/

Statement from ANDRA:

https://andra.com.au/latest-news/and...mber-2017.html

Rapisarda team Sunday at Pomona:

https://www.facebook.com/AustralianD...type=3&theater
Old 1 Week Ago

Terrible situation, I am still in shock that a child could die in one of these cars, especially in the limited 8 year old speeds. I hope more details come out as to what happened so that we can learn from it and make advancements.

Really bad news title though, it's a temporary ban. I assume while they figure out what happened.

Who cares?
Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator

Terrible news.
Old 5 Days Ago

I was speaking to a track owner who has extensive experience in these, including with his own kids. He tells me there have been several incidents with these cars. One of the reasons is that every parent knows, kids are fearless. They have no real sensation of speed, and often will try to take the turnoff going to fast, and roll. They just don't have the maturity and the sensation of the speed, and of the reaction of these cars. We all know how fearless kids are, in heights, all kinds of stuff. It's just the way they are. His response was to require the kids to bring the cars to a complete stop on the racing surface, then make the turnoff. As far as the speed not being great, 50-60mph to an 8 year old child is plenty fast enough to get hurt.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1118 View Post
I was speaking to a track owner who has extensive experience in these, including with his own kids. He tells me there have been several incidents with these cars. One of the reasons is that every parent knows, kids are fearless. They have no real sensation of speed, and often will try to take the turnoff going to fast, and roll. They just don't have the maturity and the sensation of the speed, and of the reaction of these cars. We all know how fearless kids are, in heights, all kinds of stuff. It's just the way they are. His response was to require the kids to bring the cars to a complete stop on the racing surface, then make the turnoff. As far as the speed not being great, 50-60mph to an 8 year old child is plenty fast enough to get hurt.
You make a very good point about the fearlessness. I personally have not seen a car flip on it's side, but I've heard of it.

It used to be that 8 year olds could only run 12.90, but now I see they've lowered that to 11.90 at some point, but I don't know what local AU rules may be. The state of New Jersey has their own rules about ages and speeds that superseed the NHRA rules.

In the end, a lot of this falls back to the parent to know their kid. I absolutely am not saying this kid wasn't ready, no one knows the answer to that, but seeing as it was her first weekend with the car, it raises a concern about being ready.

25 years of Jr Drag Racing and this is the first I've heard of a child dying. A very tragic event, and I can't imagine the grief, especially if the parents pushed her to drive. I just hope we get more information about what happened so changes can be made, if necessary.

Personally, this does not change my opinion about letting my kids race jrs. I told the story to my wife and she doesn't seem to have any reservations about it either. My girls are 6, my son is 20 months. My girls periodically express interest, but lately they've been more into girly stuff with their dolls and no interest in racing. We'll broach the topic with them when they get a little older because that tells me they aren't ready, even though they are eligible right now.

Who cares?
Old 5 Days Ago

We're getting one ready for our grandson, so I also encourage any kid who wants to do it to do so.

But, he will be pretty tough controlled, and watched pretty closely. Kids are absolutely fearless, and very much it is a reason of their being unable to make good judgements on what is dangerous and what is not. I'm 65 now, and can guarantee you I did all kinds of stupid stuff as a kid that could have gotten me killed, and got away with it, simply because of lack of maturity and the wisdom that comes from being around awhile. My kids will tell you the same thing, and I'm betting you have the same experiences. We all have.

I think Herb's requirement of bringing the cars to a complete stop before making the turnoff would be a smart thing, if it's not required already. This little girl hit a concrete wall in the shut off, and my guess is that she tried to turn off in the area the turn off road bisected with the concrete barrier, and couldn't make the turn. Talking to some guys who supposedly know, that seems to be the overriding theory. She was an 8 year old and was on her first or second pass......she had just gotten the car the week before.

As a parent, I don't know how one would ever get over that. Her parents may well have preached the safety aspect into her head, but we all know how kids are. My prayers and condolensces absolutely are with them. I cannot imagine.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
Terrible news.
X2 Just horrible. R.I.P young lady.