CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 6 Days Ago
Administrator

Asher wraps up the action from Pomona.....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...finals-insider

----------------------------
Old 6 Days Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Asher wraps up the action from Pomona.....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...finals-insider

Good read with some great photos!
Old 6 Days Ago

I know I'm not the first to say this, butthere should be a pre-countdown championship. It has been mentioned by a number of people on this forum that some teams sandbag their way into the clowndown and we as fans aren't getting to see the best racing possible. It's like going to see your favorite band in concert only for them to not play some of their biggest hits or they ony bring a B-rated PA and light show. If the prestige and win purse for a pre-clowndown championship is big enough, it will end the sandbagging. Plus it would create excitement to see if a team can with both the pre and actual countdown. Call it the Double-Down or something and find a sponsor to put up a a purse for it. Oh and if/when it's not won the money goes into a building jackpot every year until it's won.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
I know I'm not the first to say this, butthere should be a pre-countdown championship. It has been mentioned by a number of people on this forum that some teams sandbag their way into the clowndown and we as fans aren't getting to see the best racing possible. It's like going to see your favorite band in concert only for them to not play some of their biggest hits or they ony bring a B-rated PA and light show. If the prestige and win purse for a pre-clowndown championship is big enough, it will end the sandbagging. Plus it would create excitement to see if a team can with both the pre and actual countdown. Call it the Double-Down or something and find a sponsor to put up a a purse for it. Oh and if/when it's not won the money goes into a building jackpot every year until it's won.
Ok but earlier in the thread i asked..

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168
Speaking of Leah.. the better question is.. what happened?

They came out with both guns blazing with the Papa John's deal and were right up there as a top 3 contender for the title. Then they just absolutely fell apart in the second half of the season.
And you said..

Quote:
Happens to all the best of them at some point.
How do you know they are testing and not just sucking?

I go see to see Greg Anderson win and he doesn't win every race I go to. Boo hoo.

Plenty of guys had good early seasons and coasted to a title... plenty of guys had great late seasons and stole it from the ones that fell off. Tony "The Closer" Schumacher comes to mind.

The Kalitta team have openly stated they were saving their best stuff, best clutches, etc, for the Countdown. How many championships does Doug have?

So your idea is basically saying, if you're good for 18 but suck for 6, you deserve a trophy too, cause EVERYONE wins!

The rules are what they are. Crunch time the last 6 races. Luck or skill better be on your side.

Tony Schumacher won the 1999 title with 1 win, Joe Amato had 5 on the season. That's not fair. Rod Fuller would have won 2007 without the countdown with 3 wins, even though Dixon had 3 wins, Bernstein had 5, and Schumacher had 6. Just because Torrence and Capps had 8 wins but didn't have a title to show for it just puts them in the category of most season wins without a title and it has happened pre and post countdown.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Instead of creating more crap, clean up the current mess. Season long points battle and a champ decided. All comes down to the last race and the coverage is lack luster. Particularly the qualifying show.
Old 6 Days Ago

Once again ol' Parker Avenue provided another amazing end to a season. The reason I always make it a point to go to Pomona for the finals is the intensity that event provides is better than any event except for maybe Indy. While I didnt get to go all four days like I was planning....in fact I wasnt sure I was going to make it earlier in the week but Im glad I was able to.

The highlight was Brittany winning the championship. She and her team stepped up with a dominating performance all weekend long. While any of the contenders would have been awesome to see win (part of me was hoping Kalitta could come from left field and steal the championship) Brittany's win was a crowd favorite and could really provide some great exposure for NHRA. I think the most emotional moment was when they showed John on his knees in tears on the starting line....even I got a lump in my throat seeing that and I could tell watching the post race ceremony the pride he was showing.

Bo Butner winning the championship was another great moment seeing the excitement from the crowd when he won that final and the fact that it showed that you can still go from a sportsman standout to the pinnacle of pro stock racing I think can also bring some life into pro stock. Plus the fact that 21 cars showed up and the whole field was pretty competitive shows the class is not dead.

While I wasnt there for Julie Nataas's 5.11 she ran really strong in the Randy Meyer car all weekend and ran a very stout 5.16 in rd 2. In fact Alky dragster was pretty tight all weekend (I believe it was the quickest field in history)

The only down side to the weekend was no funny car went 340 which I was really hoping for before the rule changes took effect next season and for how good the weather was the crowds were pretty light but with what has gone on in southern California recently I imagine that impacted the crowds.
Old 6 Days Ago

... countdown vs no countdown...
... this format vs that format...

Old 5 Days Ago

No time wasted if you are multitasking while pinching off a loaf in the morning. But I hear you slug
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
No time wasted if you are multitasking while pinching off a loaf in the morning. But I hear you slug
I'm sitting here eating lunch reading this...thanks a lot...
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I'm sitting here eating lunch reading this...thanks a lot...
So? He was just talking about tying up his bread...