CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Not good....

I wonder what McKinney and Traxxas thinks of this....

----------------------------
Old 2 Weeks Ago

John Force and Tanner Gray should be on that list.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgty3whlr View Post
John Force and Tanner Gray should be on that list.
Oh?

Wasn't aware of them being accused of using a "NHRA chassis tag on an unauthorized and unapproved" car.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Oh boy, not good at all. Did they use part of an existing chassis? I just assumed they built the whole thing new.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Oh?

Wasn't aware of them using a "NHRA chassis tag on an unauthorized and unapproved" car.
Absolutely no connection: And if NHRA suspends Force & Gray just because someone (small group) who doesn't like them looking for an excuse knows more than the officials it pretty much would be the end of NHRA Pro racing as the inmates would be running the asylum. Counting the Gray customers it means at least a dozen entries in the P/M - P/S - F/C & T/F classes. If there was concrete evidence that they are not fit to drive it is a different story, but that hasn't been determined. In Force's case the issue most likely will be resolved with the 2018 rules package. There is already a procedure in place for a driver and/or car to make three (clean) runs if the competition director has determined that it is necessary before going back to competition. Easy solution would be to have someone else drive the car or have John drive one of the other cars, which would be an internal thing to JFR.

The rule book states that any time there are modifications to or repairs from an accident on the track the car (vehicle) must be re certified. A customer of mine was licensing a different driver for his front motor dragster and he got oiled in - over steered & laid it on it's side. Track officials pulled the Tag on the car - ripped the tag out of his helmet - cut the tag off his fire suit - cut the tags off the harness and confiscated his gloves while it was still on the track. There is no way that a car can be remade or modified without being re certified to SEMA specs which there are none of for a two seater dragster. The process to do something like that takes a long time and a lot of effort especially for a one off basically exhibition car. Also there would be no way for a passenger to ride without a physical and a special application to ride which there is none of. The one thing about it is if it was not on an NHRA insured or member track it is really none of their business, but the SEMA tag remains an issue.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
The rule book states that any time there are modifications to or repairs from an accident on the track the car (vehicle) must be re certified. A customer of mine was licensing a different driver for his front motor dragster and he got oiled in - over steered & laid it on it's side. Track officials pulled the Tag on the car - ripped the tag out of his helmet - cut the tag off his fire suit - cut the tags off the harness and confiscated his gloves while it was still on the track. There is no way that a car can be remade or modified without being re certified to SEMA specs which there are none of for a two seater dragster. The process to do something like that takes a long time and a lot of effort especially for a one off basically exhibition car. Also there would be no way for a passenger to ride without a physical and a special application to ride which there is none of. The one thing about it is if it was not on an NHRA insured or member track it is really none of their business, but the SEMA tag remains an issue.
^^^What Roger said. However, they did state they've ran the car to the 1/8 mile already which is what opened themselves up to action from NHRA albeit, after the fact. The weird thing is that McKinney is on the SFI Chassis committee according to the article.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
^^^What Roger said. However, they did state they've ran the car to the 1/8 mile already which is what opened themselves up to action from NHRA albeit, after the fact. The weird thing is that McKinney is on the SFI Chassis committee according to the article.
It appears the certification tag is the issue.

Unanswered questions are....

Who issued it?

It it from another car?

Is it bogus?

Every other type of recognized exhibition car must be certified. Is this configuration recognized?

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Oh?

Wasn't aware of them being accused of using a "NHRA chassis tag on an unauthorized and unapproved" car.
That's a different story to tell but my point is, Maybe Larry had a NHRA cert. chassis that had the sticker on it and they used that section to build the 2 seater and forgot to scrape it off.

As for my other comment, How many times This year has John crossed the centerline let alone cursed on T.V.???? FS1 is a different story but NATIONAL T.V.? What happened to Tanner when there were fist fights in the pits?? Fines? Prob. not! I think NHRA is pissed because of 2 things with Larry. 1- The sticker on the side of his dragster promoting IHRA and 2- He is on the IHRA board with some other previous NHRA drivers.

NHRA was mad at the "Street Outlaw" guys because they had NHRA stickers and #'s on the side of their cars during filming and stripped Justin "Big Chief" shearer of his license but then all of the sudden they see his fame on the show and let him run Indy.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgty3whlr View Post
That's a different story to tell but my point is, Maybe Larry had a NHRA cert. chassis that had the sticker on it and they used that section to build the 2 seater and forgot to scrape it off.

As for my other comment, How many times This year has John crossed the centerline let alone cursed on T.V.???? FS1 is a different story but NATIONAL T.V.? What happened to Tanner when there were fist fights in the pits?? Fines? Prob. not! I think NHRA is pissed because of 2 things with Larry. 1- The sticker on the side of his dragster promoting IHRA and 2- He is on the IHRA board with some other previous NHRA drivers.

NHRA was mad at the "Street Outlaw" guys because they had NHRA stickers and #'s on the side of their cars during filming and stripped Justin "Big Chief" shearer of his license but then all of the sudden they see his fame on the show and let him run Indy.
Ah.... "whataboutisms" and conspiracy theories .

Larry Dixon has the right to appeal his suspension. Details​ will come out when the process completes, if not before.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

They have nothing else going on so this seemed like something to generate some hype. I could build a car with six seats. Drive it down a strip. Wtf does NHRA have to do with it when it's not their track or event? I don't get it. Maybe Palmer should build one. Better yet put two seats in Forces car so we can see what's really going on.