CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
It appears the certification tag is the issue.

Unanswered questions are....

Who issued it?

It it from another car?

Is it bogus?

Every other type of recognized exhibition car must be certified. Is this configuration recognized?
That's right because it seems to me others should bear some responsibility here too. Chances are this thing is built as well as it should be BUT on something that would potentially carry "civilians" you better dang well make sure every T is crossed and I is dotted! Talk about a potential legal disaster if something bad happened.... which is probably why NHRA has acted so decisively here.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecapnredfish View Post
They have nothing else going on so this seemed like something to generate some hype. I could build a car with six seats. Drive it down a strip. Wtf does NHRA have to do with it when it's not their track or event? I don't get it. Maybe Palmer should build one. Better yet put two seats in Forces car so we can see what's really going on.
Six seats maybe but not six riders.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Perfect opportunity to slide in for IHRA and capitalize on the attention. I understand NHRA's concern and their rules, but you have to wonder if they were working on this concept and Dixon beat them to completion or something to that effect. If you are NHRA, why would you not work with him and utilize this platform for more exposure of the sport? It just seems silly.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddkeller View Post
. If you are NHRA, why would you not work with him and utilize this platform for more exposure of the sport? It just seems silly.
Exactly. In my business life I've had partners / customers not quite live up to certain arrangements but the intent was good. I just went to them privately and worked out the differences. Win-win.

NHRA should do the same - go work out these differences quietly - nobody knows any different. Instead the heavy hand is used and more barriers built. If they do have a grudge against LD (for some reason) then they're double dumb to do this such publicy. Larry is a popular man and has done a lot for drag racing / NHRA. Can anyone really, no kidding, "get" the marketing ideas that are right in front of NHRA? (and not just this deal) Good grief.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I don't think the NHRA wants any part of that thing at their events or at their tracks. I can't say that I blame them. The unpredictable nature of a Top Fuel dragster - even when everything is over prepared - would be enough to make me say no thanks. Do you think when a slick blows and that thing hits the wall like Torrence did at Dallas that you want to be in the cockpit? Who knows if the cockpits would break away from each other. How about when a camshaft breaks or an intake valve hangs open and the thing explodes into the back of your head? There are just certain things that can't and shouldn't be a ride along experience. Great in theory and a cool promo tool, but let IHRA or unsanctioned tracks have it.

The bangshift article added a few more tidbits...

Quote:
So the natural question is, “how was there a chassis tag on it”? Well that story remains to be told and we do not have the answers. There are possible scenarios, though. One is that the driver’s area was already built as part of another car which had a tag on it and the passenger area was added on, so the tag was already present. Another is that somehow a tag was procured and affixed to the chassis. We have no idea how it got there but by the wording of the NHRA announcement, it shouldn’t have been present.

Then there is a second part to the story that has not been brought up and that may be the crux of this whole issue. We have learned from sources that early in the spring Dixon approached NHRA officials about displaying the car at an event and they declined to let him do so. It was apparently made clear that the car was not certified to run on NHRA tracks. This leads us to an as yet unconfirmed report that the car was actually run at the NHRA sanctioned Edgewater Dragway in Ohio during the late September/early October time frame. If that is the case and word got back to NHRA head quarters, it sheds more light on the situation.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Liability

What does the tire people think of this?I dont think they would want any part of this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
The bangshift article added a few more tidbits...
Actually a lot of tidbits...

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...-indefinitely/

----------------------------
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
What does the NHRA think about it? Indefinite suspension..
When I read your post, the first thing I thought of was Garlits for some reason. Would love to hear that phone conversation.

lol
Quote:
I don't think the NHRA wants any part of that thing at their events or at their tracks. I can't say that I blame them. The unpredictable nature of a Top Fuel dragster - even when everything is over prepared - would be enough to make me say no thanks. Do you think when a slick blows and that thing hits the wall like Torrence did at Dallas that you want to be in the cockpit? Who knows if the cockpits would break away from each other. How about when a camshaft breaks or an intake valve hangs open and the thing explodes into the back of your head? There are just certain things that can't and shouldn't be a ride along experience. Great in theory and a cool promo tool, but let IHRA or unsanctioned tracks have it.
Not to mention someone developing back problems when they get out, even if he only makes 60ft. runs. That's why you fork over $10,000 and sign a boatload of liability papers.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

IHRA got rid of their exhibition cars and feature cars. I seriously doubt they'll want any part of this. And a marketing idea for NHRA? No way. This is fraught with way too many variables. I know racers who've had heart attacks in 10 second cars. You guys REALLY think just anybody can withstand the G forces or tire shake a TF dragster could produce?!
Old 2 Weeks Ago

... don't forget, this is not the first modern day two-seater, so there is a history of these things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
.You guys REALLY think just anybody can withstand the G forces or tire shake a TF dragster could produce?!
... liability papers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
IHRA got rid of their exhibition cars and feature cars. I seriously doubt they'll want any part of this. And a marketing idea for NHRA? No way.
I wonder if this is the reason Studezilla is not allowed to run at events.