CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Default Antron Brown Advocates a Restructuring of the Countdown

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...%99s-to-remain

----------------------------
Old 1 Week Ago

Antron must have looked at DE's thread (that needs updating ).
I bet Brittany is lovin' it!

http://forum.competitionplus.com/showthread.php?t=10147
Old 1 Week Ago

Yeah Antron would be a 4 time TF champ without it! His idea has been suggested since year one of the Countdown when they did only qualify 8 cars. That was interesting with the 2nd points reset. It is similar to what nascar does now with elimination rounds. I dislike the idea that the top 8 would get the majority of the tv coverage because they earned it. That would make the other side of the ladder a 2 minute highlight reel.

The best way to sum it up is a line from one of my favorite movies....

Quote:
Look! We've figured it seventeen different ways, and every time we figured it, it was no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody don't like the way we figured it! So now, there's only one way to figure it. And that is, every man, including the old bag, for himself!
Old 1 Week Ago

"Robert Hight won the championship form the tenth spot right once, but if it was the old natural way he would never have been close to winning the championship that year," Brown said.

However the first year of Compton's Clowndown, Robert Hight was the point winner under the old point's system and of course didn't win the Championship.
Tony P was the 2007 winner. So Hight's win in 2009 was just a two year delayed Championship.

To me 2007 was the only year since the Clowndown started that season long points tell us who the Real Champ is. Too many "team orders" plus many "test" at lessor races and many don't take the super hot summer races serious anymore. Therefore calculating year long points isn't a true measure of the season champ anymore than the Clowndown is a true measure of the best.
Old 1 Week Ago

I've been an advocate of a countdown system in where the Top 8 in points in each of the Pro Categories (after Indy) would race independently at each of the six races of the countdown. Essentially an "A" and "B" division of each class. Have the "A"'s race each other in the first three rounds - and "B" race each other - and have the winners of each pair up in the final round - or a Big Guy vs. Little Guy format for the National Event Wally.

Basically, you take the COUNTDOWN cars and they qualify on their own latter (during the regular sessions) while the other cars attempt to qualify for 8 spots themselves in a "B" ladder. Eliminations would follow the same format - but the COUNTDOWN cars would run in the back of the pack.

Let those in the playoff's duke it out....and let others fight for the event title. In my opinion, competition would be closer, each round would matter and each event would be important for each racer.
Old 1 Week Ago

spoken by someone who never had to sit out a qualifying round due to lack of funding.

I had a great plan that nobody follows. You want to run top 8, leave them on one side of the ladder. Gives every non contender a chance to win an event and contenders always facing contenders.
Old 1 Week Ago

That's kind of exactly what Antron was saying he'd like to see happen...
Old 1 Week Ago
Administrator

Take the Official poll....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...-format-change

----------------------------
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Can you ask them, if they are going to give such limited choices, to add "none of the above" ?

I do believe the countdown needs to change, both of those choices don't cut it for me... so no vote...
Old 1 Week Ago

"I donít think itís fair that you could have somebody that only comes to three races a year and they can show up at a race and race a Countdown car and take them out for a championship," Brown explained. "No other playoff sport is like that."