CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > Vintage & Nostalgia

Old 05-19-2018

Default Ramcharger Club (History of Original Club)

This is a short (22 minutes) history of the original Ramchargers during the last few years of the 1950s. This was a time when the club was not at all officially associated with Chrysler Corporation. In fact, many of us feared for our jobs if the club existence was known by those in management at Chrysler. So, at that time, the club was similar to any one of the thousands of car clubs around the world. During those first few months, the club built a car that would run in the 1959 NHRA Nationals and, later, gain the speed and E.T. records for C/Altered. Click here to watch the video.
Old 05-26-2018

Very cool. I once met Dan Mancini at the McDonalds on Woodward the day after the '96 cruise. He had his twin engine Chrylser LHS there.
Old 05-28-2018

I never had occasion for much conversation with Dan. We were pretty well segregated. I was a "suspension guy" and he was an "engine guy." I remember, during the preparation before the eliminations in '59, a suspension guy realized that the distributor was no longer 18436572 and tried to point it out. Took a while before they believed him and fixed it.
Old 05-29-2018

I tried looking up the twin engine Chrysler LHS online but could only find one that was painted orange. The one I saw was the factory charcaol gray. Super nice guy. He offered me a ride with no promting but said he didn't want to lose his parking space. He had signage in the window of the car saying he'd been inducted to 4 racing HOF's, but I haven't found anything about that online. He said he also ran some department with Lamborghini when Chrysler owned them and had more seat-time in a Diablo than anyone in the world. He said his wife drove one as a grocery getter.
Old 05-30-2018

I am totally unaware of this car. However, to tell of another weird Chrysler engine, I was going through the files in the Research Department and found a picture of a WW II tank engine made by Chrysler before General Motors was ready to take over tank engine production. It was a 30 cylinder radial engine based on 5 flathead sixes. Have no idea how many were actually made. I've never made an Internet search, so I'll do so now. If I find anything, I'll report back.
Old 05-30-2018

Yes, here it is in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank
Old 06-10-2018

Familiar with this?

https://jalopnik.com/5228066/ass-kic...er-iv-2220-v16