CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
And without fans there are no sponsors. Without sponsors, racers race on their own dime.
Like most do now. Cause most sponsor deals are business to business. Orginally the NHRA was a club of guys racing there cars to stay off the streets.
Old 09-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
Like most do now. Cause most sponsor deals are business to business. Orginally the NHRA was a club of guys racing there cars to stay off the streets.
Yeah but not all are B2B deals. I'm not even sure you couls say "most". I had assmued AJ's deal was a B2B but he quickly schooled me on that this weekend. "Yeah I own a bunch of gas stations, but there's a lot of others that own a bunch more than me." it.

Without ticket buying fans and sponsors, your entry fees would rise dramactically and the sport would have even fewer racers..
Old 09-06-2017

Quote:
And without fans there are no sponsors. Without sponsors, racers race on their own dime.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Orginally the NHRA was a club of guys racing there cars to stay off the streets.
But how much did it cost to race back then? How much extremely expensive high tech was involved? That's the huge difference here and why that model isn't going to be sustainable long term for the Pro categories. That model ( NHRA just being a club of guys who want to race) works fine for the sportsman classes and bracket racing. it works fine for the many small drag strips all across the country where this kind of racing is all there is. And for them, it should remain that way. However, the Pro categories need a different model. That's why I've suggested breaking pro Stock away from the Mello Yellow series and moving them to the Lucas oil sportsman shows. It would be a win win for everybody. It would even solve the 1000/1320 track prep issue that the Pro stock teams had problems with.
Old 09-06-2017

Quote:
Yeah but not all are B2B deals. I'm not even sure you couls say "most". I had assmued AJ's deal was a B2B but he quickly schooled me on that this weekend. "Yeah I own a bunch of gas stations, but there's a lot of others that own a bunch more than me." it.

Without ticket buying fans and sponsors, your entry fees would rise dramactically and the sport would have even fewer racers..
Without racers what are you buying a ticket for? Guy made reference to the NFL above. So how many guys would play professional football if they had to pay to play. If they had to actually buy there equipment, travel to each game on there own dollar etc. and still have a job to support there family. Then there would be fewer and fewer players, while someone is still making money off it and the fans screaming for more excitment. This brings it to full circle talking about AJ. He has done it on somone else's money and doesn't want to do it on his own totally understand which is same reason some others aren't out here doing it as well. So NHRA is going to lose another car and doesn't want to hear that money will fix the bleeding process. It's no big deal cause eventually you ticket buying fans are going to buy tickets to empty pits. But same track will be able to have a divisional race with full pits and empty stands. Long term the track will get the short end and there will go the tracks. Hmm that all seems to familar like drag races the last 20 years.
Old 09-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan2k4 View Post
Absolutely!

But how much did it cost to race back then? How much extremely expensive high tech was involved? That's the huge difference here and why that model isn't going to be sustainable long term for the Pro categories. That model ( NHRA just being a club of guys who want to race) works fine for the sportsman classes and bracket racing. it works fine for the many small drag strips all across the country where this kind of racing is all there is. And for them, it should remain that way. However, the Pro categories need a different model. That's why I've suggested breaking pro Stock away from the Mello Yellow series and moving them to the Lucas oil sportsman shows. It would be a win win for everybody. It would even solve the 1000/1320 track prep issue that the Pro stock teams had problems with.
I know you have said this about pro stock. But what model does the fuel classes go off of. They are in just as much trouble as pro stock. They are the true bring the fans in deal. Everyone wants us to do big burnouts and dry hops. I want the fuel cars to do bigger burnouts and dry hops but again nobody is looking at them. It's kind of like pro mods they run first round of eliminations after the fuel classes last qualifier. Normally you can't get out of the parking lot at the event at this point but pro mod in some guys eyes is the greatest thing since slice bread and pro stock sucks to them hey I get it. Guess the rest of the fans didn't get the memo.
You also talk about high tech and expensive. It's all gotten this way but still isn't addressing my biggest expense of going to the races and that's travel and having personel to do it week in and out. So throwing the rules away like some suggest and coming with new platform is cheap how? I'm all ears.
Old 09-07-2017
Administrator

A commentary that was published four years ago.....

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...ng-drag-racing

....little if anything has changed.

----------------------------
Old 09-07-2017

Well the NHRA threw the PS teams a bone and they didn't like the taste and threw it back. The burnout contest generated all of about 10s of air time on the too long Indy Monday broadcast, and I actually think they cut the rest of the PS broadcast show short.
Teams complain about NHRA not sharing enough of the pie but why would they? Professional drag racing has become more like the guy going to the dealership with his clapped out 10 year old car wanting top $ on a trade and the new one at cost. Huh? Not much of a bargaining position of strength. No show = no $. If the fuel teams can figure out how to stop blowing things up, that's the end of that show. They need to clone Torrence before Force moves on.
500" PS racing has created a group of same appearing, same performing cars with no support system behind them to fill in the ranks at national events. PM has their series outside of NHRA and there is all kinds of these cars, sort of a college feeder system to the pros, to fill the fields at national events and for the hometown guy to root for. Is the model perfect, no, but they have all kinds of places to go if NHRA isn't interested anymore.
Like I said, if the fuel teams can out technical themselves and figure out how to stop blowing up all those expensive parts the whole house of cards will come tumbling down.
Old 09-07-2017

^^ Thank you for that article, and I remember it from that time, and was thinking how "spot on" his assessment was. And since that time, nothing has changed, and it will not; unless incentives to entice longer burnouts are introduced into the racing format. A suggestion would be to award points for length of burnout, or a minimum point awarded for a minimum predetermined burnout length. I am sure the details could be worked out to make it practical and viable. Drag racers are adept at adapting to and overcoming a myriad of physical, environmental, and mechanical challenges. Crew chiefs and drivers will discover the balance necessary to succeed under the new format. Those that do will become fan favorites.....Am I being na´ve ?
Old 09-07-2017

Even some of the cars that didn't participate per say gave it a little extra - will all work out to the benefit of the fans and the class. The worm is out of the can now so to speak, might even catch on with TF and FC. As much as I was against it when it comes to the gassers as making it part of their show because that wasn't the way it used to be - the cheers from the fans let me know I was in the minority.
Old 09-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyback View Post
Crew chiefs and drivers will discover the balance necessary to succeed under the new format.

It's not a new format. It was a one-time deal for Indy.