CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognelson77 View Post
Come on guys, T shirt sales are not going to fund a a top notch Prostock Team. .

To me it is about the times and setting records. In the small tire Outlaw 10.5 world, it is being talked about now because they changed some rules and cars are breaking records.
When you see a stock body dimension car on a 315 radial go 200mph in the 1/8 mile then compare that to prostock going 200 mph 660 ft later.

When I bring someone new to the track and they ask me about a particular car at the race all they want to know is MPH they do not understand et.
Ok Iím confused. Guys on here want stock cars and pro stock got out of hand and cars look funny blah blah but records dropped and thatís how they did it was changing the rules now everyone bitches about it then people say itís all about records. Jesus Christ canít win for losing. Then they add weight to dodge in factory stock and keep it under control and everyone is up in arms about it. But thatís how it progressed into breaking records etc. pro stock just canít catch a break with you guys about like my own race team this year breaks are hard to come by and you guys are hard to satisfy.
Old 6 Days Ago

You still didn’t answer my question cause you can’t.

I did, but suspect you didn't like the answer. Take a lesson from WJ, a man who made a living at racing P/S and is apparently living a decent retirement... or at least a semi=retirement from it.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
You still didnít answer my question cause you canít.

I did, but suspect you didn't like the answer. Take a lesson from WJ, a man who made a living at racing P/S and is apparently living a decent retirement... or at least a semi=retirement from it.
Yours was spot on only problem is 75% of the pro teams left out there donít have sponsors. So if a guy had pocket full of money and wanted to build some kind of race team. If he choose drag racing what can he expect to get out of it. Look at myself wouldnít trade my path for nothing at this point. But what if i would have said screw it few years back and said Iím going to take my investment and build an Indy car team instead of a pro stock team. Yes would have spent probably way more but I bet my chances of making way more would have been more in favor of that route instead. So I won the big race in 16. What if I would have won the big race across town something tells me would have got way more ROI. I know of a certain Indy car team I was told got 15 mil a car seems like thereís more opportunity over there then going straight.
Old 6 Days Ago

"Nothing" is the answer.

As long as NHRA has a long line of folks willing to do whatever it takes to preform on their stage they will continue "as is" regarding racer (entertainer) pay. Low car count in the nitro classes would be serious and NHRA has shown they will take action.

Like taking money from Pro Stock and giving it to the fuel show.
Like reducing traction to reduce crankshaft and other costs for nitro cars.
Like giving the best pits to the class of cars that bring in the high ticket price crowd.

I seriously enjoy watching Pro Mods. But track operators can't even charge double the ticket price of their weekly test n tune night for a Pro Mod race. So the track operator isn't going to (and can't) pay enough for most Pro Mod car owners to break even there either.

How do you use good, repeatable financial sense fielding a drag car?
If your Don Schumacher wealthy, you can copy him. He could most likely buy a pro stick n ball team if he wanted. Instead he wants to stand behind noisy, unpredictable nitro cars (and a couple FSS cars). His ego gets stroked, he has multiple shots at winning and he's one of just a couple "big kids on the block". (I've never met him, this is just my perception from the cheap seats.)

If your not DSR wealthy, check your drag racing spending decisions often for ego abuse and most likely, only race a class well below your budget (because drag racing killing preplanned budgets is a guarantee).

My perception is that classes like Pro Stock Bike and Pro Mod are a better deal for most racers budgets because of their limited schedule making it a smarter financial burden for both their bottom teams and their World Champion. There are some very smart and financially sound Pro Mod racers that see the benefits of a limited race schedule and for some, the financial savings and increased safety of 1/8th mile racing. (The fans that scream "1/8th mile ain't racing" aren't paying the car owners bills so they just ignore it and have fun.)

If I were younger and wanted to play baseball again, I'd pick playing every inning in a local church league over paying to travel and sit on the bench on a quadruple "Z" league semi-pro team. The key for me is to identify the point where fun ends and just another job begins. Otherwise go big show racing and don't ever expect that there's a huge payback from it. There's too many folks willing to race in your place for NHRA to provide more compensation.
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
Yours was spot on only problem is 75% of the pro teams left out there donít have sponsors. So if a guy had pocket full of money and wanted to build some kind of race team. If he choose drag racing what can he expect to get out of it. Look at myself wouldnít trade my path for nothing at this point. But what if i would have said screw it few years back and said Iím going to take my investment and build an Indy car team instead of a pro stock team. Yes would have spent probably way more but I bet my chances of making way more would have been more in favor of that route instead. So I won the big race in 16. What if I would have won the big race across town something tells me would have got way more ROI. I know of a certain Indy car team I was told got 15 mil a car seems like thereís more opportunity over there then going straight.
Yep. Indy car doesn't have the multiple classes of entertainment drag racing does. There aren't Formula V or nascar trucks racing a few laps before the Indy 500 show. If you're really trying to make a profitable living from drag racing... some do... but most don't. Right Mrs. Johnson? Hope your one that does make it and thanks for discussing it with us.
Old 6 Days Ago

I guess should have been clearer on this........ where's WJ's car been parked? Where's AJ's P/S car been parked? And AJ's one that could probably fund a team very well w/out a sponsor. Not a pretty solution but it is what it is.

Last edited by HEMI_guy; 5 Days Ago at 07:22 AM.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
"Nothing" is the answer.

As long as NHRA has a long line of folks willing to do whatever it takes to preform on their stage they will continue "as is" regarding racer (entertainer) pay. Low car count in the nitro classes would be serious and NHRA has shown they will take action.

Like taking money from Pro Stock and giving it to the fuel show.
Your right there is a long line of people that would love to professional race. Seems to be a problem keeping all these people from showing up like always has been. This sport has no money in it and never will. So itís left for the wealthy to play in. But even the wealthy eventually look at there whole card and say really. Has there been people who made it drag racing absolutely. WJ is perfect example. But if he started today or even 5 years ago he wouldnít make it.
Even Schumacher has stated he will not fund cars out of his own pocket so where is that going to leave fuel racing. Ok take money from pro stock yes they did how did that work out for them they still came up short on fields and when they did hmm wonder where that money went.
Remember pro stock guys have been called the millionaires club. We didnít become this racing so maybe the mass exit your seeing is guys finally seeing how ridiculous this has become from the give and take aspect. But you think the nhra excutives are smart but yet they are running off millionaire customers left and right. But you need to put the kool aid down and or bong cause Iím having a hard time seeing all these people that are lined up to spend millions of there on money to race day and night 24 weekends a year with absolutely no ROI.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac4264 View Post
Your right there is a long line of people that would love to professional race. Seems to be a problem keeping all these people from showing up like always has been. This sport has no money in it and never will. So itís left for the wealthy to play in. But even the wealthy eventually look at there whole card and say really. Has there been people who made it drag racing absolutely. WJ is perfect example. But if he started today or even 5 years ago he wouldnít make it.
Even Schumacher has stated he will not fund cars out of his own pocket so where is that going to leave fuel racing. Ok take money from pro stock yes they did how did that work out for them they still came up short on fields and when they did hmm wonder where that money went.
Remember pro stock guys have been called the millionaires club. We didnít become this racing so maybe the mass exit your seeing is guys finally seeing how ridiculous this has become from the give and take aspect. But you think the nhra excutives are smart but yet they are running off millionaire customers left and right. But you need to put the kool aid down and or bong cause Iím having a hard time seeing all these people that are lined up to spend millions of there on money to race day and night 24 weekends a year with absolutely no ROI.
Yep. There is little to zero Pro Stock ROI. NHRA is fully in the entertainment business with FSS, Pro Mod, T/F Harley, Gassers, the Ally classes and small tire racers all very happy to replace Pro Stock. NHRA won't care when the Pro Stock teams finally give in and don't loan/lease motors to guys willing to fill their field. Adding MMPS should that happen just prolongs the end and keeps NHRA from a P/S Truck lawsuit.

At the same time its grim for Pro Stock, NHRA is very healthy with sellouts and high ticket prices. Plus multiple groups of racers wanting to be seen on the NHRA stage. Life is good at NHRA.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Yep. There is little to zero Pro Stock ROI. NHRA is fully in the entertainment business with FSS, Pro Mod, T/F Harley, Gassers, the Ally classes and small tire racers all very happy to replace Pro Stock. NHRA won't care when the Pro Stock teams finally give in and don't loan/lease motors to guys willing to fill their field. Adding MMPS should that happen just prolongs the end and keeps NHRA from a P/S Truck lawsuit.

At the same time its grim for Pro Stock, NHRA is very healthy with sellouts and high ticket prices. Plus multiple groups of racers wanting to be seen on the NHRA stage. Life is good at NHRA.
Sure it is, you and them keep telling yourself this maybe it will become true.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
At the same time its grim for Pro Stock, NHRA is very healthy with sellouts and high ticket prices.
If it's that healthy, then how about replacing the purse they took from Pro Stock, or...gasp!...dare to increase it a little to make it favorable for little guys like Mark Wolfe to get back out there? I may be a lone duck in my feelings, but I'm still steamed over that move and I'm nothing more than a fan who's never competed in anything quicker than a high 9 second Vega wagon.

And as a fan, I still love the class and I'd NEVER go for a hot dog when PS (or PSM) comes to the line. I'm simply not that disappointed in what's out there right now, even though I'd love to see scoops again and more brand participation. If people can't get spooled up over a bunch of 500 inch N/A Camaros running 6.50@210...wasn't that long ago in my life when such numbers would qualify you in the top half of Funny Car... then perhaps Pro Crochet competition would be a better choice.