CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Default Unanswered Questions Remain a Year Later on Capps' Indy Incident...

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...ains-a-mystery

----------------------------
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default I'll start. Capp's

In regards to the article about Capp's being stuck in the net.
3 things to address. One they already mention. Why did the car not stop. No signs of bounce, marks. Hmm. Maybe the safety net is something that needs to be redesigned so you can't wrap up in it. And those ridiculous levers/handles to latch the body. Of course they can get caught. I will add. I don't think the gravel is the best method for slowing cars. It seems very ineffective unless vehicle is moving relatively slow. They just skim off of it. Also some other quick deploy mechanism or crane to lift a car quickly. It could be folded down out of way at sand trap and quickly raised. I also think their little piss ass fire hose needs upgrading. Lucky so far, but does not appear to knock down fire quickly.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Instead of replying to Willy's brand new thread, you decided to start another one to reply?.... such an ego...

btw, DSR testing at Indy this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/shoeracing/...mA&pnref=story
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
Instead of replying to Willy's brand new thread, you decided to start another one to reply?.... such an ego...

btw, DSR testing at Indy this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/shoeracing/...mA&pnref=story
Insert four letter word (here)you. No ego. Did not see a thread from Willy. I can start whatever thread I want relating to site. Maybe not after this reply, but I could care less. It's rather lame here. When I am bored I will just circumvent existing sign on. I simply wanted to start a conversation of something that catches my eye watching events and the story peaked my interest some more.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

lol

Calm down and finish your corn flakes.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I'm calm. Just finished a bagel w/cheese bacon and egg while waiting on this hurricane
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I'm sure this thread will get merged anyway, no biggie.. they have that ability!

I thought it was odd to say "why didn't it stop?" but I guess that is one perspective. Capps could have been tugging that lever so hard it was bouncing all over the place. Even 20mph slower and maybe he doesn't make it all the way to the net? Of course when its bouncing then it could get out of control....
I remember at St. Louis when he also had trouble stopping, and he drove around the sand trap. That got him into some real trouble.

As far as cutting the net, do they keep spare nets at the track? I'd hope so. I can see not wanting to delay the show further for a lengthy repair.

The "what if" scenario wasn't in play. Ron was okay and they were assessing the situation. Now they know better what to do. Can you imagine if he was just fine and they went in there with guns blazing sawing that body in half, sawing the net, sawing on the latches and chassis? Then everyone would have raised hell that they destroyed a racecar when the driver was fine! Todd Okuhara said it best. He was surrounded and nobody was going to let anything bad happen to him. If anything did they could have quickly started to attack the fire and go into extreme mode.

I don't think a car has been upside down in the catch net since that happened either. It is almost like asking for another article about how you can't get out of a canopy dragster if it is upside down.
Old 1 Week Ago
Super Moderator

I was told once by a track guy that the #1 panic situation they see for drivers is when the racer is sitting upside down. He said they always freak and want out right away. I think the safety crew acted appropriately and timely. They were assessing the best way to extract the car and get him out. He needed to just sit tight while they handled it. But..... telling someone that probably does little to assuage their fear in that moment. Three minutes probably seems like thirty when you're hanging upside down.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I think the safety crew acted appropriately and timely.
So do I, and Head is correct. Capps was in good hands, although I don't doubt for a minute he was pretty rattled, hanging there upside down. And sitting here thinking about it, I don't know how they'd design a modern fuel funny car in order to allow a driver to immediately escape the freak situation Capps was in.

You make 'em as safe as you can, but there's a serious inherent danger when you get behind the wheel of a 330mph race car - and no amount of safety development is going to protect a driver from every thing, every time. Capps knows this.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
I'm sure this thread will get merged anyway, no biggie.. they have that ability!
I know. I was having some fun on a new thread he started on a year old subject, right after Willy's that he "never saw", and he went off the deep end on this "lame" forum.