CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
There has never been a 7 second run by any legal Stocker. At the Dutch Classic at Maple Grove last year David Barton made the fastest run ever by a legal Stocker in his COPO Camaro at 8.07. At the Maple Grove National Event last year, a week before the Dutch Classic, Chris Holbrook made the fastest run ever by a legal Cobra Jet Stocker at 8.10. I attended both events and witnessed both runs. Maybe the 7 second barrier will be broken at Maple Grove in a few weeks at either the National event or the Dutch, but it certainly hasn't been broken yet. I believe both Carl Tasca and Roy Hill have run in the 7s in illegal trim; maybe that is where the confusion comes from. Both Stephen Bell's COPO Camaro Super Stocker and P.B Candies Cobra Jet Super Stocker have run in the 7s. A couple of years ago Candies made the fastest Super Stock run ever at 7.80@176+ in FSS/A. A week ago, at Indy, I watched him run 7.88@170+ in FGT/B. I agree with you about Geoff Turk; his 8.15 run during Factory Stock Showdown qualifying at Indy was very impressive.
So what car/class did Holbrook make those 7 sec. passes in?
Old 09-09-2017

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
So what car/class did Holbrook make those 7 sec. passes in?
Chris Holbrook has never run in the 7s in legal trim (3650 lbs for FS/XX for the Factory Showdowns and 3470 lbs for FS/AA). Holbrook, Kevin Skinner, and David Barton attended the Dutch Classic last year with the purpose of being the first to make a 7 second legal Stocker run. It was even mentioned in National Dragster a few weeks before the event. As I stated in my previous post, Barton ran 8.07 a few times during the event; and was on a run that his data recorder indicated would have been a 7.97 or 7.98, but the transmission popped out of gear at the 1000' mark and he ran 8.07. I have never heard about Chris Holbrook making a 7 second run in illegal trim; and I spoke to him at length last year at both the Maple Grove National Event and at the Dutch and he never mentioned it. Holbrook has not competed this year because he sold the car to Joe Welch. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have heard that Carl Tasca and Roy Hill have run in the 7s at illegal weight, but I don't have any specifics.The elusive 7 second run is still out there waiting to happen; will it happen at the Dutch this year? If it does, I will be there to see it in a few weeks, can hardly wait!
Old 09-09-2017

Wasn't the Ford Cammer a hemi too ?

I know Chrysler didn't invent or be the 1st to put them into production. So why did they do this twisted wedge non-sense & call it a hemi ?
Emissions........cost ?

Certainly seems like a joke.
Old 09-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracingfan1 View Post
Chris Holbrook has never run in the 7s in legal trim (3650 lbs for FS/XX for the Factory Showdowns and 3470 lbs for FS/AA). Holbrook, Kevin Skinner, and David Barton attended the Dutch Classic last year with the purpose of being the first to make a 7 second legal Stocker run. It was even mentioned in National Dragster a few weeks before the event. As I stated in my previous post, Barton ran 8.07 a few times during the event; and was on a run that his data recorder indicated would have been a 7.97 or 7.98, but the transmission popped out of gear at the 1000' mark and he ran 8.07. I have never heard about Chris Holbrook making a 7 second run in illegal trim; and I spoke to him at length last year at both the Maple Grove National Event and at the Dutch and he never mentioned it. Holbrook has not competed this year because he sold the car to Joe Welch. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have heard that Carl Tasca and Roy Hill have run in the 7s at illegal weight, but I don't have any specifics.The elusive 7 second run is still out there waiting to happen; will it happen at the Dutch this year? If it does, I will be there to see it in a few weeks, can hardly wait!
Thanks. But you didn't answer my question. What car/class did Holbrook make those 7 sec. passes in? I didn't ask if it was in legal trim or not.

Turk told he's made a few coulda/woulda 7's in his car. Won't it be interesting if he's the first legal 7? he had a water pump die in the staging lanes in 1st round of elim.s last week. He also told me that during his 9 hours in teardown on Sat. that he voluntarily took his blower apart and taught the tech officials on how to check them. I think he suspects others may be running cheater blowers.
Old 09-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclonedave View Post
Wasn't the Ford Cammer a hemi too ?

I know Chrysler didn't invent or be the 1st to put them into production. So why did they do this twisted wedge non-sense & call it a hemi ?
Emissions........cost ?

Certainly seems like a joke.
Not a joke; the newer engines make a lot of power. I know; I own one.

They're no longer true hemispherical, but when they brought the 5.7 to market back in 2003, they were considered "hemi enough", for lack of a better term, to use the Chrysler-trademarked Hemi name. I'm guessing they no longer use a true hemi design because of size and weight (a 426 is pretty broad shouldered), emissions, fuel mileage and low-end torque. I can recall a 440 Mopar wedge back in the day having considerably more low-end grunt than the 426 street hemi, until the higher-rpm advantage of the hemi design finally took over.

Trivia question: What car am I describing that's equipped with this fuel setup? "This system had a fuel-pressure regulator, fuel rails, individual injectors, throttle positioning valve, electronic cold start and warm-up sensors, primary and secondary throttle bodies, a manifold vacuum sensor, idle sensor, air temperature sensor, acceleration sensor and two fuel lines."

Answer - a 392 hemi-equipped 1958 DeSoto, and the person who spearheaded the design of this Bendix Electrojector system was none other than funny car old-timer, Tom Hoover, who engineered for Chrysler for many years. The system wasn't worth crap, though, and was quickly scrapped. Back to the AFB....
Old 09-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Thanks. But you didn't answer my question. What car/class did Holbrook make those 7 sec. passes in? I didn't ask if it was in legal trim or not.
Sounds to me like he was in a class of his own....his current car, on a test run minus quite a bit of weight just to see what the car was actually capable of. I don't know this, just guessing.
Old 09-10-2017

I posted this a few years ago when this same discussion came up:

The Chrysler Hemi design was just (legally) swiped from other manufacturers in the 50ís after any patents they had expired.

Checkout Wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi_engine
Hemispherical combustion chambers were introduced on some of the earliest automotive engines, shortly after proving the concept of internal combustion engines themselves.

Hemispherical cylinder heads have been used since at least 1901;[2] they were used by the Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905[3] and the 1907 Fiat 130 HP Grand Prix racer.[4] The Peugeot Grand Prix Car of 1912 and the Alfa Romeo Grand Prix car of 1914 both were four valve engines also, Daimler, and Riley were also using hemispherical combustion chambers. Stutz, beginning in 1912, used four-valve engines,[5] conceptually anticipating modern car engines. Other examples include the BMW double-pushrod design (adopted by Bristol Cars), the Peugeot 403, the Toyota T engine and Miller racing engines, and the Jaguar XK engine.[6]

Since Fiat now owns Chrysler, it would be correct to call it a Fiat Hemi since Fiat used them in 1907.
Old 09-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by a21stud View Post
Since Fiat now owns Chrysler, it would be correct to call it a Fiat Hemi since Fiat used them in 1907.
LOL... Ain't it funny how so many Topolinos were running down drags strips with HEMI's some 50 or 60 years ago?
Old 09-10-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Answer - a 392 hemi-equipped 1958 DeSoto, and the person who spearheaded the design of this Bendix Electrojector system was none other than funny car old-timer, Tom Hoover, who engineered for Chrysler for many years. The system wasn't worth crap, though, and was quickly scrapped. Back to the AFB....
I saw one of thise on display at the Walter P Chrysler museum in Aburn Hills, Mi. The Tom Hoover you're thinking of is not the same Tom Hoover that raced the Show Time F/C's. It was a different guy who also designed the 426 HEMI in 63/64. I know a guy that owns Hoover's own personal 66 Coronet that Hoover raced on the streets of Detroit.

btw... the GenIII HEMI (late model) is ctually a Pent-roof and a hemisphericl design. The twisted wedge design that Roger brought up is the ProStock engine design, not the production GenIII's.
Old 09-11-2017

Send a message via Yahoo to jayork1331

This is a pretty cool Super Stocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjPLJBy7a8