Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm Man View Post
Great idea, wrong classes.
Hold that thought .......
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Can't believe some people are complaining about highlighting something that was routine for 50 years....

Eliminate the burnout all together then. After all, it wasn't a "thing" at all before the mid-'60's. No need for a water box. Just fire 'em up, pull 'em into the beams and go.

----------------------------
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Can't believe some people are complaining about highlighting something that was routine for 50 years....

Eliminate the burnout all together then. After all, it wasn't a "thing" at all before the mid-'60's. No need for a water box. Just fire 'em up, pull 'em into the beams and go.
Exactly. There have been a few articles lately about racing being a show - aka: entertainment. And it is. If new people aren't entertained then they won't go and/or return. We need new fans. Maybe this burnout contest will help a little. It sure can't hurt in any way I see. Fan involvement is the key in many other sports today. From fantasy leagues to the aforementioned dunk contests, home run hitting and long drive in golf. Times have changed and we better -for car racing's future - figure out how to get new fans. If this doesn't work - then try something else.

To make a personal point - I don't like the 4 wide. But I hear it's very popular at Charlotte - drawing more fans than the countdown race. Hearing that - I say good for Vegas - go 4 wide.

Whatever it takes to capture new fans is what we need to do.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Rose colored glasses. The actual racing was worse 'back in the day'. Barely side by side. Just individual big numbers or big crashes. But, that is because it was a show back then. A circus. A spectical. MATCH RACING.They made it a sport when Winston came aboard. That's when it became serious. Serious brought less 'entertainment'. The racers in Brainerd were jealous. They want this. Voiced it loud and clear on the Jumbotron or whatever it's called. Fact. They just want to know that all are on board. It would suck to commit and then have the one or two d-ck teammates not play along just to have a chance at a win.

This is awesome! Will bring pub. Entertainment brings money faster and in bigger amounts than wins. Look at Force. The burnouts, crashes, and interviews, etc. brought in Castrol. Zero wins. The money brought in professionalism with the wins, the show became less and less as the wins racked up, the show less and less, their ROI became nil, Castro pulled out. Duh...
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post

I don't think people are opposed to burnouts, they do have burnout contests at a lot of events after all. If the FC guys and maybe even the Pro Mod racers get in on the fun at Indy like the talk has been than I'm sure it'll keep fans in the stands. That's a win for everybody.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I'm really getting sick of the bitching on this site.

Who cares?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
I'm really getting sick of the bitching on this site.
That's priceless...
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I don't think people are opposed to burnouts, they do have burnout contests at a lot of events after all. If the FC guys and maybe even the Pro Mod racers get in on the fun at Indy like the talk has been than I'm sure it'll keep fans in the stands. That's a win for everybody.
Did anyone see where Jim Whitely put up a small purse for a burnout contest at the World Series of ProMod?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Some people will complain when hung with a new rope.
I applaud the NHRA for trying something new. There are several people on this site that bitch when NHRA doesn't do something different, and then bitch when they do.
Don't forget, this event will get a lot of TV time, maybe the burn-out competition will be shown, and what could possibly be wrong with that? Just like stick and ball sports, this is supposed to be entertaining.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Did anyone see where Jim Whitely put up a small purse for a burnout contest at the World Series of ProMod?
Yep, I almost mentioned that yesterday. It was a cool gesture and about 5 cars participated.