CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 09-10-2017
Administrator

Default The Contiuing Debate of the Future of NHRA Pro Stock

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...ture-continues

----------------------------
Old 09-10-2017

Pretty much the same story that was in the Indy Notebook. I love the last paragraph. "If you need someone to point a finger at, KB is it!"

I think some of those mountain motor guys have some deep pockets too though...

It's a shame you spend millions to win thousands. All forms of motorsports have done this though.
Old 09-10-2017

I remember an interview with Ken Black and he basically said he buys used haulers and such from the NASCAR crowd to get deals. They were very smart tapping into the technology that was being used in NASCAR and hiring Jason from Gibbs. They got technology for a lot less than what it cost the other P/S teams and they had it a lot longer too. Nothing wrong with what they did or still doing but it has driven the cost up. Another example was,they were the sole propitiatory customer for DRCE 2 intake manifolds from Wilson. In other words,no other P/S racer could buy one for any amount-period. This was told to me by another P/S racer not named WJ. Another point,they had access to Gibbs shock guy,a guy from here in Alabama that was one of the best in the business. They were making picture perfect runs,never shook the tires. NHRA had the shock clarification and that's when they came back to the pack. Before anybody says I'm accusing them of cheating,I'm not,they just had something nobody else had and when the rule was clarified,that's when the playing field got more level. We all live by the Golden Rule,the ones with the gold make the rules.
Old 09-10-2017

Not that I expect anyone to care, but at this point I don't think I could care less if P/S dies or survives. As of the start of the '18 season, the class is basically dead to me anyway.
Old 09-11-2017

The idea of bringing mountain motor cars into NHRA PS will NEVER work. That would create a cluster just like back in the old weight break days of PS.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Poole View Post
The idea of bringing mountain motor cars into NHRA PS will NEVER work. That would create a cluster just like back in the old weight break days of PS.
Therfore let's keep the car counts low so they don't have to manage a cluster. Maybe they can get them low enough that they don't have to manage anything.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Poole View Post
I remember an interview with Ken Black and he basically said he buys used haulers and such from the NASCAR crowd to get deals. They were very smart tapping into the technology that was being used in NASCAR and hiring Jason from Gibbs. They got technology for a lot less than what it cost the other P/S teams and they had it a lot longer too. Nothing wrong with what they did or still doing but it has driven the cost up. Another example was,they were the sole propitiatory customer for DRCE 2 intake manifolds from Wilson. In other words,no other P/S racer could buy one for any amount-period. This was told to me by another P/S racer not named WJ. Another point,they had access to Gibbs shock guy,a guy from here in Alabama that was one of the best in the business. They were making picture perfect runs,never shook the tires. NHRA had the shock clarification and that's when they came back to the pack. Before anybody says I'm accusing them of cheating,I'm not,they just had something nobody else had and when the rule was clarified,that's when the playing field got more level. We all live by the Golden Rule,the ones with the gold make the rules.
General Motors paid Wally the Gold for 20 years.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
Therfore let's keep the car counts low so they don't have to manage a cluster. Maybe they can get them low enough that they don't have to manage anything.
Here is an idea that would help get more cars to participate in Pro Stock. How about NHRA say that there will be no major rule changes for the class for XX number of years. The way they (NHRA) are going about it now, no one wants to commit to spend money on a class that could have a major change in rules at the drop of a hat. I know of two former Pro Stock racers that have not raced for the past few years because of this very thing. They have all the necessary equipment and cars, but they don't want to spend a bunch of money on engines and converting to EFI only to potentially have a major rule change the next month.
Old 09-11-2017

I think most fans just don't care anymore, haven't for a long time.
I certainly don't. Stick a fork in it, I think it's done.
Old 09-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racemaster View Post
General Motors paid Wally the Gold for 20 years.
I don't think I've ever seen a more bitter person about something in my life.