CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragzilla View Post
Maybe the guy that developed the canopy for DSR now works for Force. Crew chief and driver changes get announced, but behind the scene members seem to fall through the cracks.
Anyone can get the canopy, DSR doesn't own the design. DSR, along with Aerodine, helped design it and get it through the NHRA approval process.
Old 01-16-2013

My point exactly. DSR was involved. Which means Don Schumacher Racing. If you think Don was sitting back at a board and T square drawing up designs that would be ridiculous. The point is the person behind the design that worked with outside vendors may not be there now. There are alot of behind the scene heros that make these machines work, push the envelope of engineering, and never get recognized for what they design. Unless you consider a big hefty check recognition?
Old 01-16-2013

I thought Mike Green was behind the whole thing. Sure there were others involved that may have left but I bet the main reason force has it is to protect his daughter. Its available to anyone and would expect a few more teams to add them at some point.
Old 01-16-2013

Well lets bet about it being a performance factor compared to a safety factor? And think about the Antron fire at the Finals. You have to figure what happened against what can happen.
Old 01-16-2013

And you think the crew chief of a champion car, with having to work on a tune up every round, wants to say let me redesign a cockpit, to keep my driver safe that knows the danger of driving these cars, is more concerned with safety than performance. The designer of the canopy left DSR, he is a employee of JFR now. I will not post names. I will not post specifics of the split of employment. But it did happen awhile ago, and the world kept on happening. And next week will happen with this whole split. DSR will still haul a$$. JFR will not gain an advantage and the show will go on.
Old 01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Mustang View Post
Why was it disallowed?
Here's several pages of Big's ordeal with SR34 vs. Glendora:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/analysis/iv_3a.html
Old 01-17-2013
Administrator

----------------------------
Old 01-17-2013

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post

Not surprising for DRO, but they didn't finish the story. After leading Big on they would allow the car, they made an 11th hour decsion not to allow it... all after a marathon of prepping the car for Indy to attempt Big's first 300+ / sub 4 second pass. In the 23rd hour of the whole ordeal, Gary Clapshaw called and offered up his car and operation. A quick vinyl wrap job and Big was back in the show... and indeed did run 301 in under 4 seconds. One of my fondest drag racing memories. There wasn't a dry eye near his pit when he returned and I'll never forget seeing him call his Mom to say "I did it!"
Old 01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Not surprising for DRO, but they didn't finish the story. After leading Big on they would allow the car, they made an 11th hour decsion not to allow it... all after a marathon of prepping the car for Indy to attempt Big's first 300+ / sub 4 second pass. In the 23rd of the whole ordeal, Gary Clapshaw called and offered up his car and operation. A quick vinyl wrap job and Big was back in the show... and indeed did run 301 in under 4 seconds. One of my fondest drag racing memories. There wasn't a dry eye near his pit when he returned and I'll never forget seeing him call his Mom to say "I did it!"
But that happened in 2001, Big did race SR34 at indy in 2002, and ran 4.76 and 318mph in his own ride. Unfortunately for him Yuichi Oyama ran a 4.76 that was .003 quicker, and bumped Big from the show.

Tags
brittany force, canopy, jfr, top fuel