CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-08-2010
Administrator

Default Joliet Nitro Data Gathering.....

Not really sure what was accomplished, but here is the latest.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...ward-in-joliet

And it sounds as if there will be....more testing.

----------------------------
Old 06-09-2010

wonder what forces MPH was, seems shoe kept the et within a tenth and slowed some too.

I dont agree with the restricter plate idea, but the question there is how much fuel did they run? They must have reduced it somewhat if they reduced airflow.

Am I the only one that was expecting these tests to be in the mid 4 second range?
Old 06-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post

And it sounds as if there will be....more testing.
Sure sounds that way. At least they're not making a snap judgment.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Old 06-09-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrat_77 View Post
Sure sounds that way. At least they're not making a snap judgment.
Yup.......@ Bristol.

More news on the testing just conducted....Thanks for keeping us informed Bobby.

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...joliet-testing

Question.......If the stated purpose of these exercizes is to slow them down enough to return to the full track length in competition, why were they making test passes to the three fourths marker?

Old 06-09-2010

Default It may not be the purpose you think!

Question.......If the stated purpose of these exercizes is to slow them down enough to return to the full track length in competition, why were they making test passes to the three fourths marker?

The purpose for the test's as stated is for safety & less engine damage. It is very possible that the main intent is to basically stop the carnage @ 1000 feet. You don't put a 3:50 gear in one of these babies to go a longer distance unless you are trying to blow it up. They WILL keep accelerating until they disassemble themselves with enough nitro. Everyone (Fans) wants it to be for 1320 ft. racing, but it is more than likely that chokeing these motors down is to try to get them to live somewhat longer & have closer racing without so much dependence on a perfect track & a boatload of parts to change every hit. In reality good side by side races (and even qualifing) with more than full fields is a better entertainment value than having two or three mega teams beating up on the rest of the field. In another post it was said that there were ten cars that could win: yes - but six of them in FC come out of 2 camps (7 or 8 if you count the two other Fords in the Ford bunch) and with the alliances in Top Fuel it is almost the same there. The other's whoever they are might win on a given day, but not any day. Just like in Pro Stock & some of the other classes the "Cream" rises to the top anyway, but at least you almost always see both cars in a still shot at the finish line. Do not be surprised to see some of these restrictions implimented and the Fuel classes still running 1000 feet. After all the complaining & b----ing & moaning is done the reality is it will probably be a better RACE but maybe not a better spectical. Pro Mod's (the Fuel Altered's of today) put on a great show but a close competition - Not so much. Bottom line is that you can't have both ways & staying the coarse has way too high of an attrition rate.
Old 06-09-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
The purpose for the test's as stated is for safety & less engine damage. It is very possible that the main intent is to basically stop the carnage @ 1000 feet.
My question should not have been so narrow Roger. Besides the two that you mention, NHRA has stated that the fuel classes would return to the 1/4 if deemed safe to do so.

If they can increase safety, reduce engine damage, and provide better competition through whatever changes are settled upon, that would be great. And if the changes allow for a return to the 1/4, that would be icing on the cake.......

Old 06-09-2010

Sorry guys, I know that I am in the vast minority on this subject; but I still agree with Ace, DON'T fix it if it ain't broke!
Old 06-09-2010

I wonder where the restrictor plate is installed. Under the injector but over the blower?
Have you seen the opening on one of the intake manifolds? It's amazing how much air the blower compresses through that small square opening.
Old 06-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
My question should not have been so narrow Roger. Besides the two that you mention, NHRA has stated that the fuel classes would return to the 1/4 if deemed safe to do so.

If they can increase safety, reduce engine damage, and provide better competition through whatever changes are settled upon, that would be great. And if the changes allow for a return to the 1/4, that would be icing on the cake.......
I agree willy, plus these guys pretty much know what kind of run its gonna be at the 660 mark. It really is gonna suck if they prove a combination at the thousand foot and then start blowing it up at 1320 though. I guess its all in the definition of "safe".
Old 06-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I wonder where the restrictor plate is installed. Under the injector but over the blower?
Have you seen the opening on one of the intake manifolds? It's amazing how much air the blower compresses through that small square opening.
The article said on the inlet side of the blower. Dont know why just making a smaller allowable surface area of the injector hat doesnt allow the same reduction other than not replacing that component and just adding a spacer plate between them.

Tags
funny car, nhra, route 66, testing, top fuel