CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie K View Post
Why do you think drivers have to buy a ride? It's total BS Tim. Where's the 'snake'?
Did it ever cross your mind that maybe, just maybe snake wanted to retire and rest his mind? Are these guys supposed to do this til they die? I bet after Miller and Skoal left snake was also putting out a few million of his dollars a year. He is also honoring his contracts with employees and probably spending another half million this year for not being out there.
Old 06-10-2010

I do agree NHRA is very much influenced by corporate America. isn't that the way we operate as a country? It's called progress and marketing. The target audience is not gray haired retirees. So we old gezzers need to get over it. It ain't ever gonna be like the old days again. I attend the HRR shows to get my taste of nitro, which, by the way has a boat load of gray hairs attending with big smiles on their faces.
Old 06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown66 View Post
I do agree NHRA is very much influenced by corporate America.
They'd best learn to let their FANS do the influencing - before they waste all this time and money testing 413's, small pumps and such. If I were the NHRA, I'd include a survey with each ticket purchased at the next major event, which would be Englishtown this weekend.

Each completed survey could be redeemed for, say, a burger and Coke, something to ensure participation. I'd ask each fan these questions:

Please select one of the following four options.

Would your preference be:
A) A return to current-rule 1320' Top Fuel and Fuel Funny Car racing;
B) For nitro racing to remain at 1000' with current rules;
C) A return to 1320' nitro racing with restrictions in place designed to limit speeds to a safe level, or;
D) To remain at 1000' nitro racing with restrictions in place designed to limit speeds to a safe level.

And one last general question.

How would you, as a spectator, like to see NHRA improve your racing experience? (increased emphasis on certain classes such as ProMod, Nostalgia, etc., better food, cheaper tickets, better seating, return to 1/4 mile, whatever)...

...and let 'em turn it in, no name, phone number, etc., necessary. Just drop it off at a concession stand and enjoy your lunch.

The state of the current economy affects us all but if the fans don't really enjoy what they're seeing, all the Corporate America in America won't keep those big tracks open. You can run an entire 16-car Pro Mod field, or Nostalgia F/C field, for less than Castrol can campaign JFR's 3 Mustangs. Ya gotta make it fun for the folks. (Most) guys bring their families to the track to be entertained. I used to have FUN at a big race, back when I wasn't such an old geezer. They're more impressive now, but no longer much fun. What happened to that entertainment factor?
Old 06-10-2010

I choose

(E) that someone determines the definition of safe before another driver dies.
Old 06-10-2010

That, too, which of course is NHRA's job since most casual fans lack the expertise to dictate safety requirements. I'm talking about the actual equipment in the car, not the preferred track length.

Look. Any driver can die at any given time, 1000 feet, 1320, 300 mph, 330 mph. 1000/300 ain't gonna save 'em, 1320/330 ain't necessarily gonna kill 'em. Some obvious issues emerged from Scott's crash but that aside, you can't make race cars incapable of killing people. There's always something, something no one thinks about until it happens. McCulloch got it right. If 'death stares you in the face' when you climb in your hot rod - don't climb in it.

You've got people on this board who publically state "NO NHRA until they return to 1320' racing", "FORMER NHRA member", and the like. Well, if that's the general consensus among those who pay the bills, they'd better get on with the business of figuring out how to reinstate it. One way to find out. ASK.
Old 06-10-2010

Default There is no going back

C) A return to 1320' nitro racing with restrictions in place designed to limit speeds to a safe level, or;
D) To remain at 1000' nitro racing with restrictions in place designed to limit speeds to a safe level.

The state of the current economy affects us all but if the fans don't really enjoy what they're seeing, all the Corporate America in America won't keep those big tracks open. You can run an entire 16-car Pro Mod field, or Nostalgia F/C field, for less than Castrol can campaign JFR's 3 Mustangs. Ya gotta make it fun for the folks. (Most) guys bring their families to the track to be entertained. I used to have FUN at a big race, back when I wasn't such an old geezer. They're more impressive now, but no longer much fun. What happened to that entertainment factor? [/QUOTE]

Unfortunately - there is no going back in the entertainment world of Full Throttle Drag Racing. Restrictions & 1000 ft. are almost a given at this point. Only Corporate funded teams can race & be competative because the corporate sponsorship is the only way they can make it happen. The win money is not even expense allocation for the support vehicles, food & lodging. The Points Championship Fund doesn't pay enough to support the winner if He/She got the whole thing for all the teams in the running. That is not going to change. Most of these guys are competing for Trophys and a Resume that will get more money from Corporate sponsors. Do you really think an Arabian Shiek, a guy with more airplanes than most countries air force or a manufacturer who is bigger than his sponsor is very worried about the payout for an individual race? Reality is if this deal is racheted down a notch it might allow full fields with bumping and less need for perfect track conditions. Also: The guys that remember all the 32-64 car fuel shows seem to forget some things about the facts. Today when you see a still shot of the finish line you can see two cars in the picture a lot of the time. The large shows back in the day - hardely ever - especially in the earlier rounds. I remember Altereds, Un-Blown cars & Gas cars in the show with us a lot of the time to fill up the field & there was a good lane (Better Lane) even back then. When you broke you went home.
I cannot see that restricting the intake side of the Supercharger will do much except make the manufacturer (Miller) re-think the shape and maybe position of the inlet port since the discharge is already tiny in this compressor which builds pressure & that makes compression. To say that it would cost too much money for changes dosen't hold water because the less funded teams do not have a huge stock pile of current parts anyway. While Safety is of course the major consideration, less carnage & more side by side racing is another reason along with the safety would give the fans a better show than a few cars going really fast once in a while with perfect conditions. Of course the Crew Chiefs on an unlimited (or large) budget don't want any change - They have a tune up already that they can tweak a little and have plenty of resources as well as parts. In the end things have to change, and closer competition with as many competitors as possible is better for the health of the Sport (Business) even though it may not be all that popular with the die hards & those set in their ways. This testing will result in changes & it is as much for survival as it is for on track safety.
Old 06-10-2010

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
They'd best learn to let their FANS do the influencing - before they waste all this time and money testing 413's, small pumps and such. If I were the NHRA, I'd include a survey with each ticket purchased at the next major event, which would be Englishtown this weekend.

Each completed survey could be redeemed for, say, a burger and Coke, something to ensure participation. I'd ask each fan these questions:

Please select one of the following four options.

How would you, as a spectator, like to see NHRA improve your racing experience? (increased emphasis on certain classes such as ProMod, Nostalgia, etc., better food, cheaper tickets, better seating, return to 1/4 mile, whatever)...

...and let 'em turn it in, no name, phone number, etc., necessary. Just drop it off at a concession stand and enjoy your lunch.

The state of the current economy affects us all but if the fans don't really enjoy what they're seeing, all the Corporate America in America won't keep those big tracks open. You can run an entire 16-car Pro Mod field, or Nostalgia F/C field, for less than Castrol can campaign JFR's 3 Mustangs. Ya gotta make it fun for the folks. (Most) guys bring their families to the track to be entertained. I used to have FUN at a big race, back when I wasn't such an old geezer. They're more impressive now, but no longer much fun. What happened to that entertainment factor?
This is a good post....
Old 06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypidgon View Post
This is a good post....
Thanks, Clay.

And Roger, you make good sense; I appreciate being able to read your imput. That's how things work in the 21st century and I suppose some of it is for the better. Without getting melodramatic, I simply miss how it was, mishaps and all. I miss a country that marched to a slower, less hectic tune in every aspect from auto racing to drive-in movies to education to quality time with the family.

I know we can't go back. But I can dream. And I would like to see NHRA factor the fans into the equation a bit more, since they're who ultimately pay the bills - all of them.
Old 06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
That, too, which of course is NHRA's job since most casual fans lack the expertise to dictate safety requirements. I'm talking about the actual equipment in the car, not the preferred track length.

Look. Any driver can die at any given time, 1000 feet, 1320, 300 mph, 330 mph. 1000/300 ain't gonna save 'em, 1320/330 ain't necessarily gonna kill 'em. Some obvious issues emerged from Scott's crash but that aside, you can't make race cars incapable of killing people. There's always something, something no one thinks about until it happens. McCulloch got it right. If 'death stares you in the face' when you climb in your hot rod - don't climb in it.
You are right, but the fact still remains if a driver was not trying to go 340 miles per hour, he wouldnt be travelling 280 mph at the 660 mark or the acceleration or deceleration would not be scrambling his or her brain. If the nhra wants 300 mph, then they are hoping the drivers would be around 250 at the 1/8th and reducing risk to that point as well. What Ace and the rest would rather do is be travelling at 360 mph when it blows up so it will still be travelling 340 at the stripe...........

As far as being experts, the real experts dont know. Guys adjusted and found a tuneup and just cant get off the thought process of it cant happen to me, until it happens to them. When Ace is in charge of the nhra then he can allow people to go full out and hit 350 and then answer to the families and fans when another horrific accident happens on his watch and explain why he didnt try to do anything to control it.
Old 06-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie K View Post
They have eliminated the under funded teams and turned the sport into the millionaires club. Why do you think the entries are dwindling? Why do you think drivers have to buy a ride? It's total BS Tim. Where's the 'snake'? You are down to a couple of teams winning it all.
Gotta agree with Bobby here..Its a sad day when Don "The Snake"Prudhomme cant secure sponsorship

Tags
funny car, nhra, route 66, testing, top fuel