CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 02-07-2011

I guess I am missing something in that picture or do you mean the little airplane wheels.
Old 02-07-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
I guess I am missing something in that picture or do you mean the little airplane wheels.
The injector scoop extension, with the inlet right over Eddie's head.

----------------------------
Old 02-07-2011

Thank you Willy. And he obviously didn't benefit from it otherwise he would have kept it on until he left the sport. There is indeed a vacuum at the inlet of the hat... but air is an infinite source just sitting in place let alone moving through the air at 100-3?? mph. I don't know if it's accurate or not but I've read that a fueler is traveling at least 100 well before the 60'.

I have a sneeky feeling NHRA is eventually going to move towards restrictor plates for under the hat or blower anyway. Along with the new oildown rules NHRA also addressed the complaints about not being able to coach and break-in new drivers. Teams are now allowed to do so granted they run a NHRA accepted restrictor plate. I see this from two angles, it not only satisfies the teams wanting to train newbies, but NHRA gets to test the restrictor plate for a possible return to 1/4 mile racing.
Old 02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Eddie Hill's solution...
wow that's crazy looking, i've never seen that. i wonder what effect that had. just having a long intake extension like that opens up the door for all kinds of flow dynamics possibilities inside that scoop, one could shape the inside of it to increase the air speeds big time.
Old 02-07-2011

If you think a restrictor plate will work on a supercharged fuel motor, you need to do some research, all the teams have to do is up the speed of the supercharger to be right where they are now.
I think the only way to slow them down , is take away down force, and limit supercharger overdrive, and maybe fuel input, all in a combination, but then it gets hard to enforce , so they will have to go with stiff penalties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Thank you Willy. And he obviously didn't benefit from it otherwise he would have kept it on until he left the sport. There is indeed a vacuum at the inlet of the hat... but air is an infinite source just sitting in place let alone moving through the air at 100-3?? mph. I don't know if it's accurate or not but I've read that a fueler is traveling at least 100 well before the 60'.

I have a sneeky feeling NHRA is eventually going to move towards restrictor plates for under the hat or blower anyway. Along with the new oildown rules NHRA also addressed the complaints about not being able to coach and break-in new drivers. Teams are now allowed to do so granted they run a NHRA accepted restrictor plate. I see this from two angles, it not only satisfies the teams wanting to train newbies, but NHRA gets to test the restrictor plate for a possible return to 1/4 mile racing.
Old 02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill03E View Post
If you think a restrictor plate will work on a supercharged fuel motor, you need to do some research, all the teams have to do is up the speed of the supercharger to be right where they are now.
I think the only way to slow them down , is take away down force, and limit supercharger overdrive, and maybe fuel input, all in a combination, but then it gets hard to enforce , so they will have to go with stiff penalties.
It must have done something during the DSR test sessions since there is more testing allowed during the season if the team uses a restrictor plate. thats what Courtney has to run to test all year at least, still dont understand why since she isnt worried about points they would be penalizing her anyway.
Old 02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
The injector scoop extension, with the inlet right over Eddie's head.
LOL, I was trying to see thru ercie? to find the engine.

The injector was about a foot lower back then too wasnt it? lol
Old 02-07-2011

Didn't DSR make the restrictor plate? I could be wrong about that , but there was an article in Competition plus , from Jim Head talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
It must have done something during the DSR test sessions since there is more testing allowed during the season if the team uses a restrictor plate. thats what Courtney has to run to test all year at least, still dont understand why since she isnt worried about points they would be penalizing her anyway.
Old 02-07-2011

A somewhat better picture of Hill's scoop. You don't reckon it was the cause of this minor mishap, do you?

http://public.fotki.com/1320sherlock...photoslog.html
Old 02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Eddie Hill's solution...
nice find twostep.right along side frank bradley,one of my alltime favorites

Tags
canopy, top fuel