CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
Money to design in, lets see, DSR builds chassis now, and you are actually saying that wrapping a piece of sheet metal around a roll cage costs alot of money? Thats four tabs for Dsuz fasteners and aluminum. If they made a wood mold for carbon fiber its still not 100 grand. That money spent was all wind tunnel with the universities they worked with to get better undisturbed flow to the hat.
Exactly right! But this is also the reason to let them keep running it since it really wouldn't cost other teams a bunch of money and performance innovation shouldn't be penalized.
It's interesting DSR would spend that kind of money on R&D when all you hear about is how they try to save money as best they can.
Old 10-15-2011

Default tech dept and rule makers

Well now the "tech department" is showing the level of expertise they can be expected to perform at. Dapper Dan the $200,000 man can not be expected to judge these packages, he (they) are simply not capable, counting blower pulley teeth is way over the tech departments ability. You had to see the 320 ratio police in action to believe it. Anyone who thinks they are, is sadly mistaken and as long as they are making the calls Professional Drag Racing is in serious trouble. The last time NHRA had a "real racing engineer" on the payroll was when John Erickson from Pontiac was on board, unfortunately he left after a very brief stay and went on to NASCAR.
Old 10-15-2011

The timing of this is good strory depending on what side of da fence your riding on. This thing should have been outlawed after the season has been concluded, not now. Curious timing. I do feel that DSR got shafted at this time. I just wished that the teams would have the canopy like "large father" used years ago. Sure makes things entertaining.

TopFuel@Lions
Home of the best Jr. Fuel races ever run, thanks Pappy!
Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEracing View Post
Exactly right! But this is also the reason to let them keep running it since it really wouldn't cost other teams a bunch of money and performance innovation shouldn't be penalized.
It's interesting DSR would spend that kind of money on R&D when all you hear about is how they try to save money as best they can.
I dont have a problem with that, I have a problem with flames being inside the cockpit with the only way to leave is to burn out or go out the front. Burning up is gonna happen first unless the car is going backwards. I have seen at least three shots of Antron and Tony both with flames in the canopy. If you just want to shield the driver then I would suspect louvers on the sides would at least give the flames a place to go. I do not see nhra penalizing them for the airflow, if thats what they determined, I commend nhra for stopping this before this "safety" device actually does more fire damage tot he driver. It wasnt until Maple Grove that they saw antron engulfed in flames, isnt the bigger problem the fact that nhra had to tell don to take them off instead of don taking it off himself because of another example of it not helping?
Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuel@Lions View Post
The timing of this is good strory depending on what side of da fence your riding on. This thing should have been outlawed after the season has been concluded, not now. Curious timing. I do feel that DSR got shafted at this time. I just wished that the teams would have the canopy like "large father" used years ago. Sure makes things entertaining.

TopFuel@Lions
Home of the best Jr. Fuel races ever run, thanks Pappy!
but if a part is deemed an unfair performance advantage, that is not within the original intent of the rules, shouldn't it be pulled immediately? why wait any longer? just because there are only 3 races left, why should they allow DSR to continue using it to have that unfair performance advantage? if i was in a competing teams, and i knew that DSR had an unfair advantage with that part and was still allowed to use it, i would be pretty pissed. Each race is a huge amount of possible win and contingency and sponsor money, and sponsorship exposure... Why should another team have to be forced to let DSR run that part and possibly take that away from other teams? Just would seem very unfair to me to the other teams, i would think.
Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
I dont have a problem with that, I have a problem with flames being inside the cockpit with the only way to leave is to burn out or go out the front. Burning up is gonna happen first unless the car is going backwards. I have seen at least three shots of Antron and Tony both with flames in the canopy. If you just want to shield the driver then I would suspect louvers on the sides would at least give the flames a place to go. I do not see nhra penalizing them for the airflow, if thats what they determined, I commend nhra for stopping this before this "safety" device actually does more fire damage tot he driver. It wasnt until Maple Grove that they saw antron engulfed in flames, isnt the bigger problem the fact that nhra had to tell don to take them off instead of don taking it off himself because of another example of it not helping?
'another' very good point
Old 10-15-2011

I'm not a DSR fan, but he really got the shaft on this one. That is why drag racing has suffered is the lack of innovation. He has run this all season long, and all of a sudden it is a performance advantage? Wow. I think Don has a point, the NHRA doesn't like him. The NHRA shouldn't dictate this. If Don and the drivers want it, let them be. Let the other teams figure it out.
Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
I liked it just because it completely shielded the head on the sides, not for fire reasons. Now it looks like it makes the fire issue worse...oh darn, I guess they'll have to enclose the cockpit. DSR is ready lol.

Quote:
I do not see nhra penalizing them for the airflow
What got the whole thing rolling was the fact another team told NHRA about the airflow advantage.
Old 10-15-2011

Default Safer Cockpit

Not sure where DSR invested this 100 + K. This is an on going project with the Motorsports Engineering program at Purduh University. Did they give a grant to the engineering program? At the time Beard got the program started it was announced that a team of engineering students was working with them as a project throughout their years at the school. This is much like other universities engineering programs that have a team working with racing operations. The word "Safety" absolutely gives creedence to any project connected to using a school for development of race cars. It appears NHRA approved this shroud without any testing and even made a big deal out of it because of the word "SAFETY" connected to it. When the 2 fires that resulted in showing pictures of the drivers being immersed in flame all over TV & the Internet (Bad publicity) along with the speed increase of the DSR cars, it was clear that "Safety" wasn't the foremost advantage of the shroud & they had to do something - NOW! This design can make the cockpit safer from flame, but the effect of the Shroud is not just the cover over the roll cage. The way the windshield is attached to complement the air flow leaving a flat extension of the cowl it is causing a void at the area between where it starts & where the cowl ends. That looks like it is an area about 8 or 9 inches long that causes a vacuum pulling the fire forward. Vortex generators or flow channeling in the cockpit could fix that situation. The thing that bit DSR in the keester is that by saying the only purpose of this design change was for safety when it became appearent that it was acuually less safe there is no reason to continue using it. It may also be found that there is still an issue with the cowl/windshield in its present configuration.

P.S. Did the announcement of Beard leaving right now have anything to do with this issue?
Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gates View Post
P.S. Did the announcement of Beard leaving right now have anything to do with this issue?
Interesting...

Tags
don schumacher, dsr, shroud, shroudgate, top fuel