CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 07-02-2012

When was the last time Tony had a boomer that big? I cant think of one
Old 07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
rowdy, my guess would be dropped intake valve(s).
Dorsnt that cause 90% of those? I know Eddie Hill had a Huge one at Dallas or Houston his last year, it broke his Crank in 2 places!
Old 07-02-2012
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
MY way makes the possibility if them giving a perfmaince advantage insignificant. If and or when they're allowed, there needs to a sufficient number of them available to everyone. Especially so if they make Hondo (or whoever) the only one allowed to be used.... much like PSI screw blowers in T/A.
Will all the naysayers eat crow and pony up for them? I agree about negating a perceived performance advantage, but if there is one (performance advantage) it may not be approved anyways unless it was mandated and in that case there would have to be a big safety reason to mandate it.

If a team wants to make sure they have one, why not put an order in now with Hondo and get on the list?
Old 07-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelfan View Post
Will all the naysayers eat crow and pony up for them? I agree about negating a perceived performance advantage, but if there is one (performance advantage) it may not be approved anyways unless it was mandated and in that case there would have to be a big safety reason to mandate it.

If a team wants to make sure they have one, why not put an order in now with Hondo and get on the list?
I wouldn't doubt there's a few orders already placed pending approval.
Old 07-03-2012

I think this Herbert boomer would rank as a 10 makes Tonys maybe a 7.
Twomotor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scotty%2C%20She%27s%20gone%20CRITICAL%21%21.jpg (66.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnitro View Post
Dorsnt that cause 90% of those? I know Eddie Hill had a Huge one at Dallas or Houston his last year, it broke his Crank in 2 places!
Happened at both venues. The one in Houston is the one that broke his back and forced him into retirement. Broke the block in two pieces and it exited the frame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzPCk2lt2_4

http://www.youngbloodart.com/y2kaboom.htm

Remember- rules are rules Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

"When applied at precisely the right time,
ignorance is a powerful tool,
usually surpassing even knowledge"
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Happened at both venues. The one in Houston is the one that broke his back and forced him into retirement. Broke the block in two pieces and it exited the frame:
Al Weiss, who served as Hill's crew chief for a period of time after Fuzzy Carter's departure, told me the blocks themselves were structurally defective. Neither of them stood a chance of lasting long enough to complete a pass.

In Tony's case, I figured the crankshaft (or camshaft) broke. Never seen catastrophic damage that severe from a dropped valve, although I suppose the valve could have set off a chain reaction.
Old 07-03-2012

When the boomers are that big it broke a crank,cam, gear drive, or the imput shaft broke. when stuff like that happens just wheel over the dumpster because everything from Tony's a$$ to the wing struts is junk
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVER DAN View Post
When the boomers are that big it broke a crank,cam, gear drive, or the imput shaft broke. when stuff like that happens just wheel over the dumpster because everything from Tony's a$$ to the wing struts is junk
I have a jar around here somewhere filled alluminum that literally looks like gravel.
Old 07-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I suppose the valve could have set off a chain reaction.
With forced and injected induction and enough amperage to light the Rockeller Center Christmas tree, it''s kinda hard not too.

Tags
canopy, explosion, tony schumacher, top fuel