CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-02-2012
Z_Weinstein Z_Weinstein is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 760
Default

When was the last time Tony had a boomer that big? I cant think of one
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-02-2012
Kingnitro Kingnitro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
rowdy, my guess would be dropped intake valve(s).
Dorsnt that cause 90% of those? I know Eddie Hill had a Huge one at Dallas or Houston his last year, it broke his Crank in 2 places!
__________________
www.Kingnitro.Smugmug.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-02-2012
fuelfan's Avatar
fuelfan fuelfan is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NOLA
Posts: 2,028
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
MY way makes the possibility if them giving a perfmaince advantage insignificant. If and or when they're allowed, there needs to a sufficient number of them available to everyone. Especially so if they make Hondo (or whoever) the only one allowed to be used.... much like PSI screw blowers in T/A.
Will all the naysayers eat crow and pony up for them? I agree about negating a perceived performance advantage, but if there is one (performance advantage) it may not be approved anyways unless it was mandated and in that case there would have to be a big safety reason to mandate it.

If a team wants to make sure they have one, why not put an order in now with Hondo and get on the list?
__________________
fuelfan
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-02-2012
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelfan View Post
Will all the naysayers eat crow and pony up for them? I agree about negating a perceived performance advantage, but if there is one (performance advantage) it may not be approved anyways unless it was mandated and in that case there would have to be a big safety reason to mandate it.

If a team wants to make sure they have one, why not put an order in now with Hondo and get on the list?
I wouldn't doubt there's a few orders already placed pending approval.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-03-2012
twomotor's Avatar
twomotor twomotor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 312
Default

I think this Herbert boomer would rank as a 10 makes Tonys maybe a 7.
Twomotor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scotty%2C%20She%27s%20gone%20CRITICAL%21%21.jpg (66.5 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-03-2012
bobby's Avatar
bobby bobby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingnitro View Post
Dorsnt that cause 90% of those? I know Eddie Hill had a Huge one at Dallas or Houston his last year, it broke his Crank in 2 places!
Happened at both venues. The one in Houston is the one that broke his back and forced him into retirement. Broke the block in two pieces and it exited the frame:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzPCk2lt2_4

http://www.youngbloodart.com/y2kaboom.htm
__________________
Let every body think you are an idiot instead of opening your mouth and proving it.

Remember- rules are rules Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster


"When applied at precisely the right time,
ignorance is a powerful tool,
usually surpassing even knowledge"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-03-2012
Twostep Twostep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Happened at both venues. The one in Houston is the one that broke his back and forced him into retirement. Broke the block in two pieces and it exited the frame:
Al Weiss, who served as Hill's crew chief for a period of time after Fuzzy Carter's departure, told me the blocks themselves were structurally defective. Neither of them stood a chance of lasting long enough to complete a pass.

In Tony's case, I figured the crankshaft (or camshaft) broke. Never seen catastrophic damage that severe from a dropped valve, although I suppose the valve could have set off a chain reaction.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-03-2012
DIVER DAN DIVER DAN is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 92
Default

When the boomers are that big it broke a crank,cam, gear drive, or the imput shaft broke. when stuff like that happens just wheel over the dumpster because everything from Tony's a$$ to the wing struts is junk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-03-2012
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIVER DAN View Post
When the boomers are that big it broke a crank,cam, gear drive, or the imput shaft broke. when stuff like that happens just wheel over the dumpster because everything from Tony's a$$ to the wing struts is junk
I have a jar around here somewhere filled alluminum that literally looks like gravel.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-03-2012
HEMI_guy HEMI_guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
I suppose the valve could have set off a chain reaction.
With forced and injected induction and enough amperage to light the Rockeller Center Christmas tree, it''s kinda hard not too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canopy, explosion, tony schumacher, top fuel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.