CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~~IKE~~~ View Post
I still don't get this when Royce and Jayson took over they switched over to IHRA for whatever reason? Where do you get the NHRA stats from. Tod Mack owned and ran the track when they were NHRA. I know I used to work there.
Back in the 70’s and 80’s there were many different things for a track owner to consider when picking between NHRA, AHRA and IHRA.

Was a national event from the sanctioning body involved and if it was, how attractive a split was it for the track operator? For all but a few tracks the potential of an NHRA national event wasn’t in the cards.

For the few tracks that had a chance of getting one when NHRA was expanding from 9 national events to today’s 24, what was NHRA requiring? Was a national event only promised if you did three years of penance with Divisional races first and how friendly were the costs involved? Many times those costs apparently weren’t that friendly to the track owner.

AHRA and IHRA typically needed the tracks more than NHRA did due to NHRA being the first sanctioning body and having most of the tracks first. Therefore AHRA and IHRA treated their track owners more like customers than employees.

So if a track without an NHRA national event could get an AHRA or IHRA national event, their bottom line at the end of the year could be bigger. (weather and other promotional gambles understood.) Otherwise they were just another NHRA track with a divisional race at best along with higher sanctioning fees and possibly having to live up to other demands that AHRA and IHRA didn't require.

As the astute businessman he is, I would assume the reasons he went with IHRA at the time were well thought out.
Old 1 Week Ago

A couple more to the mix.

Gil Kohn and Ed Eaton.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer