CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012
Banned

Smile WE ARE MORE THAN JUST nitro!

NHRA needs to realize that drag racing is more than just nitro. The publicity is overwhelmingly about the nitro classes. Sure Funny Car is our most popular class and needs to be given top priority. It deserves it's top billing to the public and sponsors at least for now but...... drag racing has been struggling. When NHRA was at the top of it's success the other professional classes were also bringing in thousands of fans. The sportsman classes of all types also had big followings. The public is not aware of our great other classes. Take our great Super Stock and Stock classes as a couple of examples. The last two races at Charlotte and Houston proved that the Pro Stock classes were the stars the finals. If NHRA continues to believe that it's only about nitro they will continue to die a slow death.
Old 04-30-2012

Its called divisional races larry.
Old 04-30-2012

It used to be that ESPN would just skim through the PS/M rounds on t.v.,NOW I`m noticing that they are even skimming over the PS car class also...And notice how they took the 2 ladies in FC out of run order to run last to sensationalize it even more than they were building it up already....
Old 04-30-2012

Its too bad that everyone leaves the venue when the Pro's are done. I see the look on the sportsman faces and think why are you leaving.
Old 04-30-2012
Banned

Default They Just Don't Get It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddyjanis View Post
Its too bad that everyone leaves the venue when the Pro's are done. I see the look on the sportsman faces and think why are you leaving.
They just don't get it. And Paul brought up the great P.M. class. It's about the diversity of all the classes that had made drag racing popular. The new generations need to be educated.
Old 04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
The new generations need to be educated.
Not to sure it just the new generation.

Remember- rules are rules Don't let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

"When applied at precisely the right time,
ignorance is a powerful tool,
usually surpassing even knowledge"
Old 04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2281 View Post
It used to be that ESPN would just skim through the PS/M rounds on t.v.,NOW I`m noticing that they are even skimming over the PS car class also...And notice how they took the 2 ladies in FC out of run order to run last to sensationalize it even more than they were building it up already....
Thats going a bit far. The run choice goes to the better qualified teams with lane choice. #1 qualifier gets to run when he wants, #2 when they want except when #1 gets to run, etc. Courtney was #7 and got to run 7th, making note that all the force cars ran before her and gave her last minute adjustment advantage. Running earlier in the round gives teams more time for next round prep, running last gets best track information unless there are multiple oil downs.
Old 04-30-2012
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
NHRA needs to realize that drag racing is more than just nitro. The publicity is overwhelmingly about the nitro classes. Sure Funny Car is our most popular class and needs to be given top priority. It deserves it's top billing to the public and sponsors at least for now but...... drag racing has been struggling. When NHRA was at the top of it's success the other professional classes were also bringing in thousands of fans. The sportsman classes of all types also had big followings. The public is not aware of our great other classes. Take our great Super Stock and Stock classes as a couple of examples. The last two races at Charlotte and Houston proved that the Pro Stock classes were the stars the finals. If NHRA continues to believe that it's only about nitro they will continue to die a slow death.
Hasn't this been discussed here ad nauseam?
Old 04-30-2012

I think if NHRA wants to hook a new fan, they have to do it with nitro. I wish everyone would get the chance to stand at the starting line when the cars launch. I was down on the line for a couple of the nitro sessions and it just feels incredible. I must say, I hate being home. I love some nitro.

My personal feeling is that NHRA needs to revamp the PS and PSM classes if they really want any chance of hooking new fans with those categories. The fans were leaving the stands for PS. Stock eliminator is more exciting in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2012

For 46 years I've taken friends, family, co-workers and darn near strangers to the drag races. When I was working at a drag strip back east I'd put them down by the starting line and now I get them up close to fuel cars. The typical fan once they've experienced nitro have a difficult time understanding the technical nuances of prostock or any other class. If you aren't a car geek, and most people are not, what do you do to have the casual or once-a-year fan sit through comp eliminator or any other sportsman category? Not much I've found. And generally that vote is proven by the empty stands when nitro is over. Sure...it's disappointing for sportsman or even alcohol classes but I don't know how to change that. The casual fans want to go to the pits and watch the thrashing between rounds, get a burger or an autograph.

I am amazed that 500 cu.in. engines on gasoline, naturally aspirated are running mid-6's. Faster than top fuel cars when I first went to the races in '66. The last guests I took in Vegas were in their late 50's and had never been to NHRA, they had been to NASCAR. They were stunned by everything about the nitro cars and everything else was "ok" but not very interesting. Sure, they saw the close racing and appreciated drivers shifting gears, but after smoke, fire and noise....it didn't matter.

I take in a couple of Div 1 and Div 7 races when I can and the stands are ....empty. I wish it wasn't that way so that the sportsman racers got more cheers.

Probably an apples-to-hand grenades comparison but the Masters, USOPEN golf tournaments have 40K fans everyday. A Nationwide pro event is lucky to have 5000 total over 4 days. Been there done that too..... I don't putt worth a crap.

My guess is if NHRA relegated NITRO - especially funny car to the same time as prostock the ratings would collapse.

IMHO
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk