CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 03-19-2016

"I would suggest that old axiom, be careful what you wish for........"

This is so true. Kind of like GA saying several times how he didn't want to be the guy in the other lane when EE won for the first time. Oops.
Old 03-19-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer121 View Post
In this day and age with this sport its far to easy to hit a slump and then you regret it because it makes you look the fool
Yup. This is why I never talk trash. LOL To many chances in this sport to look like a complete idiot the next time you're at the track!
Old 03-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne* View Post
I have yet to see anyone say that to John Force, Anderson, Line or a Pedregon. Taking pride in your National event win is not the same thing as being smug. Are we being fair with our assessment here?
No we are not fair in our assessment. The names you listed are all near the top of their classes race wins list and multiple time champions.

This supposed "rivalry" between a person who just won their first race after years of trying and someone who has the potential to win that has not been realized yet is a joke. What's the point of it? Because it is female vs female? Gender, age, race means nothing to me, so i'm not slamming them for that aspect of it. If it was Clay Millican vs Terry McMillen in the finals and Terry got his first win and start spouting off about wanting a rivalry with Clay, wouldn't you just shake your head and think, what's wrong with this guy? Also not a knock on either one of those drivers, just trying to make a comparison.

Why was there such an intense rivalry between Glidden and Shepherd, Ormsby and Amato, Force and Cruz, The Oldsmobiles of WJ and KJ and Wayne County Dodges, Force and Hofmann, Enders and Anderson? They were all battling to be the best and beat the best to do it. You can throw Garlits and Shirley in there too, even though that had a tinge of gender behind it, they still were at the top of their game.

If Leah and Brittany both go on a tear and each win 5 or 6 races this year and battle for the title come Pomona, I'd jump on the rivalry bandwagon.
Old 03-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleanos View Post
I cruise around here and Nitromater and find it odd that nobody has posted anything about Leah's wish for a rivalry with BF. Rivalries are great but do you really need to bash a driver to start a rivalry? Did Brittany have an easier time getting where she is? Absolutely, but she came up through the ranks too. I just think it is not necessary to belittle someone else's accomplishments. It seems she really wants the publicity. The rivalry should be I kicked your butt on a hole shot and I will continue to do so because I am a better driver. My 2 cents.
Please toss out a couple of quotes... I am not seeing anything wrong with anything she said. At least in the what I read. Maybe I missed something??
Old 03-19-2016
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by de31168 View Post
No we are not fair in our assessment. The names you listed are all near the top of their classes race wins list and multiple time champions.

This supposed "rivalry" between a person who just won their first race after years of trying and someone who has the potential to win that has not been realized yet is a joke. What's the point of it? Because it is female vs female? Gender, age, race means nothing to me, so i'm not slamming them for that aspect of it. If it was Clay Millican vs Terry McMillen in the finals and Terry got his first win and start spouting off about wanting a rivalry with Clay, wouldn't you just shake your head and think, what's wrong with this guy? Also not a knock on either one of those drivers, just trying to make a comparison.

Why was there such an intense rivalry between Glidden and Shepherd, Ormsby and Amato, Force and Cruz, The Oldsmobiles of WJ and KJ and Wayne County Dodges, Force and Hofmann, Enders and Anderson? They were all battling to be the best and beat the best to do it. You can throw Garlits and Shirley in there too, even though that had a tinge of gender behind it, they still were at the top of their game.

If Leah and Brittany both go on a tear and each win 5 or 6 races this year and battle for the title come Pomona, I'd jump on the rivalry bandwagon.
I agree with some of what you're saying. But we could point to Millican and Herbert as a rivalry that people got into quite a bit and if memory serves Millican hadn't won anything in NHRA. So I don't think rivalries are solely only between the #1 and #2 racers in the class. If it is, it certainly makes it better but with so many people wanting more rivalries in our sport, why limit them to just the top guys?

Again, I don't think a good rivalry can be forced but if we end up seeing more of them that are not the usual suspects then it could make things even more interesting.
Old 03-19-2016

It wont even have a chance to be a rivalry. It will be about like the DSR /Hot Rod Fuller thing. Brittany will be racing and contending for a championship while Leah ends up on the sidelines. I predict by 2017 if not sooner.
Old 03-19-2016

Leah looked a little bit to cocky on today's telecast for a 1 time winner
Old 03-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by odspice14 View Post
It will be about like the DSR /Hot Rod Fuller thing.
Wonder what happened to that guy, anyway??

There's a difference between a rivalry and being an A-hole. Not saying one of those two women is one...just saying.
Old 03-19-2016

....think NHRA was instrumental in manufacturing this "rivalry" with that video they released.......
Old 03-20-2016

Who knows, Someone is trying to gain attention.