CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-15-2017
Administrator

Default ARP Question of the Week: "Should Television Let Drivers "Cool Off"....

...before putting them on camera after a run?"

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...cool-down-time

For reference....

https://youtu.be/kJ0WSEE73vI

----------------------------
Old 06-15-2017

They had the beep button back when? 80's maybe earlier. Do we need to hear it? No. Be professional. Cool off period. No. She had time to get car stopped, get out, helmet off then get interviewed and plan a response. My opinion is she does not need drag racing to survive. This is a hobby by daddy. Just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2017

"Should Television Let Drivers "Cool Off"....

Yes, for 7 seconds...
A better question would be, should it be shown "Live" or edited.
Let put the blame where it belongs, with the network for showing it.
Just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
...before putting them on camera after a run?"

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...cool-down-time

For reference....

https://youtu.be/kJ0WSEE73vI
Absolutely - let them get out, unstrapped, grab a drink of cold, crisp, sugary Mello Yello, let them speak to their "PR" people to allow them to plant a canned reply or "shout out", get their can of Mello Yello properly branded and spew out the company line....

....yeah....that'll make it a MUCH more attractive TV show....

...for those not sensing the sarcasm....I'm disinclined to acquiesce to that request.....which means NO.
Old 06-15-2017

"These PC drivers are boring.....we need more raw emotion"
**Drops F bomb after a wild run in a NITRO FUNNY CAR**
"Oh, there's NO excuse for that...these are professionals"

You think your Funny Car heroes in the 60, 70s and 80s were saints? Think again.

What I'm not a fan of, is how we sit back and critique these driver's to within an inch of their lives after they win, lose or damage their cars after a run. Each weekend for these teams involves a ton of travel, 4 days in a new city each 2 weeks, long hours in their pit areas.....yeah, I'm pretty sure a few F Bombs are perfectly acceptable after a frustrating run.
Old 06-15-2017
Super Moderator

It can be intimidating to have a microphone and camera jammed in your face. Imagine how that would feel at your place of employment after you've just seriously screwed up at what you were specifically hired to do? Would YOU want to be interviewed LIVE to one million people at that moment?! Having said that though, cooling off periods can also increase frustration levels over what happened too. Didn't seem to work for Kyle B! LOL

On a side note: I think being out of a race car for five weeks had an impact on Alexis more than she was expecting maybe. She seemed rattled about several things in the interview and talks about them. Some extra testing could help the confidence level there.
Old 06-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Charlet View Post
Absolutely - let them get out, unstrapped, grab a drink of cold, crisp, sugary Mello Yello, let them speak to their "PR" people to allow them to plant a canned reply or "shout out", get their can of Mello Yello properly branded and spew out the company line....

....yeah....that'll make it a MUCH more attractive TV show....

...for those not sensing the sarcasm....I'm disinclined to acquiesce to that request.....which means NO.
Absolutely 100% correct.
Old 06-15-2017

Having the teams not tell the driver who won and/or the ET's would go a long way to help the interviews. Too much time to think of what to say when slowing down and getting out. If the adult words get out, there is a 7 second rule (delay) in other sports to mute those words during live shows (The NBA for example) before it gets out to the public airwaves.
But then again, the interviewers need to study Steve Evans to get the appropriate responses regardless. Too much "how does it feel" and "what was it like" type of questions over and over is nauseating.
Old 06-15-2017

I do understand the adrenalin aspect which is good for tv, but they need to understand and know that camera has millions of viewers including kids watching. Live and clean it up IMO.
Old 06-16-2017

As long as you can see live shout outs, bombings and terrible crashes on TV and beheadings and road rages are only one click away, I think using the F word once by an excited racer is the least thing to worry about.