CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 06-18-2017

Here's the thing. If your mature enough to set yourself behind the wheel of a race car and put your life on the line, you should also be mature enough to know how to conduct yourself with honor and dignity in a live televised interview. I've nothing against Alexis and I'm not specifically referring to her or this incident. In fact, I guess I missed this entirely, because this is the first time I saw it. So, my comments here are not directed at her or any driver in particular.

However, it occurs to me that these are individuals who get to do something for a living that many people can only dream about and many others struggle all their lives trying to get the same opportunity and some never quite achieve. They should at least be a little respectful of that and appreciative. Let's look at today's top fuel winner, A person who finally after all these years scored his first NHRA top fuel win. Do we ever hear him use this kind of language in an interview? Did we ever see him get out of his car and start acting like a spoiled brat because things didn't go exactly his way? I don't know about you guys, but I never saw any of that kind of behavior out of him. What I've always seen out of Clay Millican is a man who always smiles no matter what happens on the track because he truly realizes that he's fortunate to be able to do something he truly enjoys for a living and maybe also because he understand a bit about priorities and what's truly important in life. After all, a man who can still smile after having went through what no parent should ever have to go through and face what most parents fear worst, has to understand that just because things don't go exactly as you wanted on the track is no reason to behave like a pouty child.
Old 06-19-2017

The big difference is that Clay had a moment of great joy and Alexis had a moment of frustration.
Old 06-19-2017

Quote:
The big difference is that Clay had a moment of great joy and Alexis had a moment of frustration.
So, goes the nature of drag racing or really any kind of racing. Racing in general is a very fickle sport, a tiny mistake by you or even by someone else can end your day. It's just the nature of the beast and one of the things that separates it from most other sports. Perhaps those who can't deal with that should consider some other hobbies less frustrating. I'm sure Clay's had moments of frustration also and we know he's had some moments of great tragedy and despair but through it all he kept his chin up and endured. Everyone has their crosses to bear in life, some have heavier ones than others. The important thing is how we react to those situations. We may not completely control our fate but we certainly control how we respond to it.

Greg Stainfeild's son won in one of the sportsman classes yesterday. In his interview he was asked what was the greatest thing his dad had taught him about racing. His answer was to always remain calm. I thought that was a brilliant answer.

And again, i wasn't talking specifically about Alexis and/or this specific incident.
Old 06-19-2017

From the "Force Worshm exchange words story on this site -

Worsham had put the incident behind him by the time he returned to his pit area.

"Maybe I will be the one who does it next week; I don't know," Worsham said. "Hard racing. John Force is a great guy and a great competitor. We fought it out, side by side race, and I lost. Maybe it was all a heat of the moment thing; no one likes to lose.

I'm not a fan of "gotcha" style journalism catching people at their worst and throwing cameras up in their faces in the heat of the moment would have been exactly that.
Old 06-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddyhahn View Post
She should know by now. WTF!
Anyone else see the irony, or hopefully sarcasm, in ^^^

Still can't believe all of this hissy fit over some words.

Who cares?
Old 06-23-2017
Administrator

Another lopsided result.....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...e-for-post-run

----------------------------
Old 06-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansb57 View Post
Perhaps. Just don't think Alexis has anything in life to be frustrated about as long as health and family is good. This must just be a hobby. Am I wrong? My 9 year old daughter is a fan. She knows it was wrong. Will it hurt her? No. But this type of behavior, music lyrics, tv shows, video games(she does not play) news media stories can't be a positive for our society.

Just words now. See killings daily. Family's of 8 kids, six dads involved. People become desensitized. Does not seem like a good path for our future. Did Alexis ruin the world? No.
Old 06-25-2017

They used the mute button on Force.
Old 06-25-2017

I thought most fans enjoyed seeing these guys being themselves? No PC interview crap? Guess not
Old 06-27-2017
Super Moderator

Torrence chimes in.....

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...fuel-throwback