CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > IHRA

Old 3 Days Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer121 View Post
And what makes matters worse is that the kids helmet weighs as much as an adults helmet. Asked a Hans Manuf if they were going to make a childs verson? No Fricken way was his answer, toooo much liability and parents are vindictive
They make youth sized helmets, you can buy them from Jegs. There is risk with juniors as there is also risk with Pee Wee Football. But I do think sometimes parents get anxious to involve their kids in their hobbies and may rush things. When they announced the age drop to 5 years old I was completely against that. I think age 8 is already pushing it but I know some people get their kids started on dirt bikes and karts early and that probably had some influence for NHRA on this.

I think a required full two day training course/workshop made mandatory for kids and parents to license in a junior would be ideal. I don't think enough is done to ready them at this point.
Old 3 Days Ago

I knew that the age was lowered to 5, but I hadn't known any details as it hasn't really been an interest so I haven't kept up with rules.

5 year olds are limited to very slow ETs, 20 seconds and they aren't in competition.

6-7 year olds are limited to 13.90
8-10 - 11.90

I do agree that there should be some kind of training for these kids.

My first Jr ran low 15s. It also had a wide rear, whereas no one builds them that wide anymore, they all tuck the rear tires as much as they can. I don't think I could have flipped my first Jr, wide open with the steering wheel cranked.

In the end there are always risks in any kind of sport. I still consider Jr Drag Racing to be one of the lowest risks of youth sports. It's still baffling that this child lost her life in one. I haven't seen any more details, anyone else?

Who cares?
Old 3 Days Ago
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer12306 View Post
In the end there are always risks in any kind of sport. I still consider Jr Drag Racing to be one of the lowest risks of youth sports. It's still baffling that this child lost her life in one. I haven't seen any more details, anyone else?
I think it is one of the safer sports too. But I don't think many people think about the fact that they come in with no knowledge on judging speed and braking distances. That's a big learning curve in a car that will go 50-80 mph or more for the older kids many of whom have never operated anything motorized.

I expect we won't hear many details until the investigation is completed. Even then, what we do hear will likely be rule changes if that's warranted. What a sad, terrible thing for everyone involved.
Old 2 Hours Ago

Funeral ceremony held today:

Junior Dragster Anita Board Farewelled in Perth
By Renae Henry 7:30pm Nov 24, 2017
Quote:
Around 600 people have gathered to farewell junior drag racer Anita Board at the Perth track where she was fatally injured.

In a moving moment, Anita's family was presented with her junior drag racing licence which she was applying for when her car crashed, just two days after her eighth birthday
Video and pics:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...elled-in-perth