CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 05-07-2011

Now let's talk about the capsule instead of speculating on what other racers and car owners will think or have to say about it.
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
You mean like this?

http://retrorides.proboards.com/inde...y&thread=92668

What's old.....is new. Again.

nice find willy, always thought that one resembled an indy car too much though lol.
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI_guy View Post
Now let's talk about the capsule instead of speculating on what other racers and car owners will think or have to say about it.
All the carnage has been put behind the driver in the dragster. I see no other reason than aerodynamics again, just like the tall windshield. I bet you dont see the flex of the chassis raising up the army car as high as other cars. Eventually you will probably see the body widened, possibly out past the rear tires which are blocking more air than the engine itself to gain even more speed. I still cant believe they try to call it safety. It was bad enough with his comments with the canopy that he didnt even know he blew up, thusly never taking his foot off the fuel and feeding the fire more raw fuel.

When you see some test runs with this setup, keep an eye on the rear wing to see if they can lose angle on that bad boy to remove a thousand pounds of downforce off the tires. And this is in no way an attack against Shoe. My response would be the same if it was kalitta, bernstein, lucas or even the mighty John Force trying this.
Old 05-07-2011

i don't get it... what's the point of having one of those boat cockpits in a car? for a boat it's all about the driver not sinking with the disintegrated boat, and being separated from the water, and having an onboard air system to not drown should it get filled up with water (and they were unconscious unable to get out), and of course, its main intent, to replace the old boat idea of the driver being ejected from the boat and skipping across the water like a ragdoll.... But what's the point of having it on a car?? to prevent fire from entering the cockpit during an engine explosion? and then what, making it even harder to get out of the cockpit? i just don't see the advantage of having it... even the big windshields their using this year, to keep fire out off the driver, are making it harder to get out of the cockpit...
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
You mean like this?

oh sweeeeettttttttt!!! that's suchhh a pretty car... yeah, totally looks like an old Indy car, well, sorta.....

man it must be soooo hot in there... i wonder if there's a Big Gulp cup holder in there to keep the driver cooled down so he doesn't faint in the staging lanes
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratonabike View Post
But what's the point of having it on a car?? to prevent fire from entering the cockpit during an engine explosion? and then what, making it even harder to get out of the cockpit?
All valid points, something I was wondering about too. I can't imagine a complete capsule designed to separate from the car, something desirable in a boat for obvious reasons. Such a capsule bouncing down the track and into the walls at 320MPH would at the very least give the driver a hell of a headache, if it didn't kill him outright.

I'm guessing it's not designed to separate. More like a sealed capsule-like shell wrapped around what's already there, with the intent of keeping fire out and improving aerodynamics.

I'll betcha Schumacher gets asked about it this week, and we'll get some answers then. Maybe.
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheridiot View Post
looks like a good step to being able to put the engine back where it belongs.
ha, that would be awesome... imagine a modern TF with the engine in the front.... looks like i'm gonna waste the rest of my saturday Photoshop'ing that now
Old 05-07-2011

I've watched a number of drag boat racers die in front of me in capsules. Some were unpreventable due to trauma from the wreck while others were from air lines being severed, capsule recovery not being quick enough and the driver simply not being able to get himself out of the capsule.

While much of the concern these boats deal with has to do with being in water, exiting the enclosed cockpit could be a problem for the drag racers that choose to use them. I've seen many dragster drivers find a way out of a chassis that is turned upside down and on fire but getting out of a capsule inverted ain't gonna happen without external help. Even if the sport evolves this direction my sons won't be sitting one of these high speed coffins. Not after all I've seen.
Old 05-08-2011

I would think these capsules wouldn't need to even have a latch to hold them closed if they are hinged from the front. The pressure from the air passing over them and the overall g-forces would, in theory, hold them closed. However, I could see them being an issue with the car coming to a rest up-side down with the track or ground surface wedging them closed. Perhaps they could be made to easily break away from the car in a crash before the car actually came to a rest up-side down.

As I've mentioned in a few previous threads related to driver safety, I once crewed for a good friend that owned and drove a monster truck. Whenever a new truck was built and or when a license renewal was up, the drive had to physically show he could escape the truck withing a set period of time. I can't remember how long that was but I think it was in the 10-15 second range. Perhaps NHRA should look into requiring this too.
Old 05-08-2011

Quote:
You mean like this?

Word.......not a new concept. If Shoe was to win a race or two with the capsule, you would see it appear on a couple of more TFers by the following race....until then, not much else to report.

Tags
canopy, capsule, dsr