CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 10-15-2011

Default Nhra cries foul on safer cockpit, schumacher fumes

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...humacher-fumes

ooohhhh..... this is gonna get good.....

“I’m disappointed enough in NHRA’s management enough that if my teams weren’t in a position fighting for this championship and we didn’t have major sponsorships, I would have packed them up and left,” said Schumacher. “Undoubtedly, NHRA’s management hates me and DSR, that’s the only way I can look at it.”

FLAME ON FANS!!!
Old 10-15-2011

hard for me to imagine why he would pull all of their cars out just because one design feature, a fairly new one, an experimental one at best, was no longer approved... i'm sure it wasn't cheap to design those, but it wouldn't seem to make much of a difference budget wise for his team to discontinue them, they can't be that expensive compared to the rest of the car (right?)... it obviously didn't seem to work too well for its intended claimed purpose (given antron's experience at Reading)... maybe it just needed more tweaking, or maybe it just never would've worked too well as a way to keep fire out of an open cockpit... just seems odd to me that he would get so upset about it... i'd be like, ok, that obviously doesn't work too well... maybe work on a different idea that actually works.. No huge loss for his team i would think, if it's not a way of increasing airflow into the hat, then i wouldn't think it would be a big loss to remove them... (guess we'll see this weekend, and next race)...
Old 10-15-2011
Administrator

Rat, just curious if you even read the article?
Old 10-15-2011

Good reporting by Comp+.

"Schumacher said his team was granted approval for the new cockpit configuration and with three races left in the season, this decision has him questioning the NHRAís motives. Three of the teamís drivers are ranked in the top five in the standings"

There would be no motives to question if it provided no performance advantage. Obviously DSR knows it helps airflow and safety too, came up with a performance innovation not unlike Big Daddy or other T/F teams tried years ago. I doubt this would have cost teams a lot more money to put on. If the top teams started running it, why would a lesser funded team need Aerodynamicits.
Old 10-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition View Post
Rat, just curious if you even read the article?
um, yeah... what did i miss? just read it again... another team had complained to the NHRA, and they brought in their own 'experts' to claim that it was a performance advantage more than a safety advantage... but doesn't that go on all the time whenever one dominant team comes up with a new design, other teams will cry foul (if simply for the reason that they may perceive it as a performance disadvantage since they don't have it)? ... the fire in the cockpit by antron seemed a pretty decent example that it didn't work out all the great for that intended purpose... i would think that the NHRA would probably have reconsidered the design anyway (after ANtron's fire) without other teams complaining about it...

or am i completely missing something here? it is 2am...
Old 10-15-2011
Administrator

3 races left in the season and their biggest worry isn't in safety, it's other teams having to spend money.

You approve a design and then disapprove because an "expert" decides it could be an advantage, just by looking at pictures.

If I had spent over 100,000 on something, they approved it, and then tell me it wasn't legal. Rat, 100,000 is a lot of money to throw away. at least in my neck of the woods it is.

I must be objective, but as a mathematician -- this doesn't add up.
Old 10-15-2011

My opinion is that the performance-advantage angle of this ruling is baseless. Innovation is the heart and soul of drag racing. If the shroud improves air flow to the injector, so be it. Nobody said other teams can't do the same thing - until now.

I'll be honest; I have no particular fondness for DSR racing but I've got his back on this deal. A thorough review process could have taken place after Pomona - instead of a knee-jerk reaction right in the middle of the final countdown.
Old 10-15-2011

gotta go with you on this one Bobby....your right if i put that much money in something....get it approved...run the season with it then have NHRA Pull it with 3 races to go i would be Furious...Gotta side with Don on this one
Old 10-15-2011

idk, im a little confused... i understand that he put a ton of money into it, and that was his choice, no one told him to spend that money on it, the NHRA didn't say, 'this is a required safety item, you have to run it'.... But he felt it was worth it for the safety of his drivers, so he spent a lot of money designing it... Great, i totally agree with that, and my respect towards him that he would be proactive about safety, not waiting for anyone to tell him how to prevent that fire situation (of a low pressure area in the cockpit sucking in flames from behind the driver).... But if it's a safety design, and that's all it is, and that was the premise on getting it approved by the NHRA, and then it doesn't work, then why should DSR be so angry about it as far as the rest of the season is concerned? If it didn't seem to work, then back to the drawing board, and some more redesigning of it, and come back to the NHRA when he feels comfortable with a design that actually does work, and try to get it approved again, or maybe just scratch that design altogether if it doesn't work, and come up with something different.... Leave it in as it is, the safety is not improved, right? Take it out, same thing... There's no change as far as the DSR cars performing any differently... Or is there? Now if it's a performance issue, then yeah, i can see them getting very upset about losing that piece of technology that they spent a ton of money on to get that performance advantage, especially with only a couple races left... if it was a decent amount of performance that is now lost, they could possibly lose a chance at the Championship... Then yeah, i could see he would be upset, who wouldn't be? But wasn't the reason why the NHRA approved it in the first place, was because it was a safety enhancement, not a performance enhancement? If it was approved by the NHRA as a performance enhancement, and the others teams didn't want to spend the money or time or effort to produce their own version (or something altogether unrelated and different, but also a performance enhancement), then tough luck on the other teams... If you can't afford to run the good stuff, then you're probably not gonna win... But i don't think that was the case.

I know it's late in the season, but should that matter if something may possibly be a performance advantage that is not available to other teams within the rules, for a fair playing field? should they just be allowed to use it just cause there's only 3 races left? Even if the NHRA made the mistake of approving it in the first place?

Of course i can see that there's the issue that the one incident with Antron showing the fire getting into the cockpit, may not be representative of a failure of the design... it may take more than a few incidents to have enough 'proof' that the design is definitely a failure in its current configuration. So maybe that's the issue, not that it doesn't work, but that they could've used more time to test it and work out bugs in it. But even then, having the shroud removed for the remaining 3 races, should not keep them from losing any performance, they can still race, and probably still win... IF it wasn't a performance enhancement.
Old 10-15-2011

I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but without wind tunnel analysis, I'd say the shroud would have an equal (if not better) chance of streamlining air just UNDER the injector instead of directly into it at speed. To pull this design with only 3 races left over an ALLEGED advantage borders on criminal in my opinion. If it clearly was a safety hazard, fine, remove it immediately, but that's not the case here.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77

Tags
don schumacher, dsr, shroud, shroudgate, top fuel