CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Old 12-03-2007
gary4205

Default Another Torco/Evan Knoll Rumor

Looks like Evan is wanting to spend some Torco dollars with the roundy-round boys. More interesting though, could the "major drag racing entity" mentioned in the link below be the IHRA?

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...=4771&Itemid=7
Old 12-03-2007

IF i was a betting man.. uh... yeah.... great thing for him to get the IHRA...

Just hope he is real cafeful with the "roundy-roundy guys"... they have burnt more than one major company..... then again... Sunoco tried to get Shell tossed from RCR...lol...

Billy
Old 12-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy W
IF i was a betting man.. uh... yeah.... great thing for him to get the IHRA...

Just hope he is real cafeful with the "roundy-roundy guys"... they have burnt more than one major company..... then again... Sunoco tried to get Shell tossed from RCR...lol...

Billy
Doesn't sound promising for the NHRA drivers connected to him unless he intends to move them over the the IHRA in which case it doesn't sound too promising for the NHRA.....
It's been knocked around on this forum a number of times about what can happen if a major player like Knoll was to pick up his marbles and go to play another game.

Just Pondering.....
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Old 12-03-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger
Doesn't sound promising for the NHRA drivers connected to him unless he intends to move them over the the IHRA in which case it doesn't sound too promising for the NHRA.....
It's been knocked around on this forum a number of times about what can happen if a major player like Knoll was to pick up his marbles and go to play another game.
I agree. But, even though Knoll is just as much a fan as a business man, you have to think he wouldn't pull his cars from NHRA competition, because of the exposure.

Granted, if Evan bought the IHRA, you would see some positive changes. But it would take at least a year, depending on IHRA's contract with SPEED. And IHRA's TV package leaves a lot to be desired.

Evan definitely has what it takes to run and grow IHRA into a serious contender, in the drag racing world. But NHRA is still the king. More races, better TV package, bigger purses. That's what NHRA brings to the table.

How cool would it be if he was actually loading up on HD Partners stock?
Old 12-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205

I wouldn't doubt the price jumps that the wall street type guys here kept alerting us too were Evan and Bruton buying whatever they could get their hands on.

I dont think the series overlap, but I think Evan would move a few teams to a requirement to perform at IHRA events, but if he demanded all of them, it may drive away the rest of the teams that have been racing there all these years. I'm pretty sure Densham was at alot of races last year. So maybe after Evan runs it a couple years he would decide to make the rest of the stable attend all events or sponsor guys and girl that will attend all events.
Old 12-04-2007
Administrator

Default Gary

Gary -- hmmmmmmm
Old 12-04-2007

How cool would it be if Evan had controlling interest in the new HDP deal? We do know somebody bought about 2 million shares over a 2 day period 2 weeks ago. I suggested then it could be either Evan or Bruton. I think either of them could pull it off without blinking. It will be real interesting to find out exactly what is going on. We could be seeing the beginnings of the changing of the guard.
Old 12-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4205
Granted, if Evan bought the IHRA, you would see some positive changes. But it would take at least a year, depending on IHRA's contract with SPEED. And IHRA's TV package leaves a lot to be desired.

Evan definitely has what it takes to run and grow IHRA into a serious contender, in the drag racing world. But NHRA is still the king. More races, better TV package, bigger purses. That's what NHRA brings to the table.

I think we'd find out that if Evan wanted to, IHRA would improve DRASTICALLY in that first year. I think there's enough disgruntled teams out there that would change their loyalty at the drop of a hat if they were given the opportunity to compete with a fair shake in what they perceived to be a fair series. NHRA is definitely top dog, but it wouldn't take much to have that little dog biting at their heels right about now. IMAGINATIVE coverage on TV would make an incredible difference in a short time.

http://www.youtube.com/techrat77
Old 12-04-2007
gary4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by techrat_77
I think we'd find out that if Evan wanted to, IHRA would improve DRASTICALLY in that first year. I think there's enough disgruntled teams out there that would change their loyalty at the drop of a hat if they were given the opportunity to compete with a fair shake in what they perceived to be a fair series. NHRA is definitely top dog, but it wouldn't take much to have that little dog biting at their heels right about now. IMAGINATIVE coverage on TV would make an incredible difference in a short time.
Oh yeah, I think Evan would do well. The only thing that would hinder TV may be the SPEED contract. It would be imperative that same day coverage came about, and SPEED has a pretty full Sunday night, during the racing season. Weeks late coverage won't cut it in today's world. And I don't care what the gripes are, ESPN is more experienced and has far better coverage of NHRA racing.

What ever is going on, this is gonna be a very lively off season!
Old 12-04-2007

Who said anything about Sundays or Sunday nights for the IHRA?....lol...

Don;t think the Speed folks would care if they lost the IHRA... they could run more PINKS or "Whips" shows.....lol

Billy

Tags
crazy talk, evan knoll, ihra, nhra, torco