CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2008
larrydavis427 larrydavis427 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,688
Thumbs down Same Old Asher!!

Jon Asher again doesn't know what he's talking about. He saids the attendance for the spring race at Las Vegas was down substantially. Wrong. I actually think the attendance was up over last year. I believe there were more empty seats on Friday and Saturday at last year's spring race. Las Vegas will always be the race most affected by a turndown in the economy. Many people have to fly into this race. That's why Nascar is always concerned in holding a second race here. The crowds for the first four races were actually up over last years same day crowds. Except for Phoenix and Gainesville on Friday which were rained out. NHRA is doing very well during this slow down. Except for Vegas and perhaps Indy NHRA attendance will do quite well in 2008 if the weather is good. If you'll recall Asher usually pulls out his NHRA attendance is sinking routine every year.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2008
SundayNiagara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427
Jon Asher again doesn't know what he's talking about. He saids the attendance for the spring race at Las Vegas was down substantially. Wrong. I actually think the attendance was up over last year. I believe there were more empty seats on Friday and Saturday at last year's spring race. Las Vegas will always be the race most affected by a turndown in the economy. Many people have to fly into this race. That's why Nascar is always concerned in holding a second race here. The crowds for the first four races were actually up over last years same day crowds. Except for Phoenix and Gainesville on Friday which were rained out. NHRA is doing very well during this slow down. Except for Vegas and perhaps Indy NHRA attendance will do quite well in 2008 if the weather is good. If you'll recall Asher usually pulls out his NHRA attendance is sinking routine every year.
Jon Asher has forgotten more about drag racing than you'll EVER know!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2008
Sam M's Avatar
Sam M Sam M is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 479
Default

Wanna show me attendance figures.... didn't think so...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2008
larrydavis427 larrydavis427 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,688
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
Jon Asher has forgotten more about drag racing than you'll EVER know!
You are kidding aren't you?? I'm just saying that he is wrong about the attendance being weaker than last year at Las Vegas. Jon always starts this dome and gloom stuff. I guess if you say it enough eventually you'll be right?. The last two years he has indicated that NHRA attendance was deteriorating. What happened NHRA had record setting attendances. As far as what the daily attendances are at Vegas, I know within a thousand. I won't state this because it would create problems for another person.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2008
competition's Avatar
competition competition is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,184
Default Hello McFly?

Larry, he speaks doom and gloom, because guess what? That's the majority of what's going on in drag racing. Jon Asher is first class and the best journalist drag racing has to offer. But hey, some guy on a message board named Larry said it -- so it must be true.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2008
SundayNiagara
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition
Larry, he speaks doom and gloom, because guess what? That's the majority of what's going on in drag racing. Jon Asher is first class and the best journalist drag racing has to offer. But hey, some guy on a message board named Larry said it -- so it must be true.
Post of the day!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2008
larrydavis427 larrydavis427 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,688
Smile I'm Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition
Larry, he speaks doom and gloom, because guess what? That's the majority of what's going on in drag racing. Jon Asher is first class and the best journalist drag racing has to offer. But hey, some guy on a message board named Larry said it -- so it must be true.
Competition that last sentence is right on the mark. The problem with Jon's remark is that it is not accurate and my accessment is correct.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2008
Happy Motoring's Avatar
Happy Motoring Happy Motoring is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: China Grove, NC
Posts: 190
Default What's next....the Cubs win the World Series???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayNiagara
Jon Asher has forgotten more about drag racing than you'll EVER know!
Let the record book show that this April the 13th in the year of our Lord, 2008
ol' Sunday and I actually agree on something. Asher does superb work. I've been reading his stuff in various magazines ever since I took an interest in drag racing as a kid.
__________________
"I can't understand where my money went. I ain't broke but I'm badly bent...." The New South Bluegrass Band
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2008
competition's Avatar
competition competition is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,184
Default COMPETITION = Bobby Bennett

Larry, if you look long enough at something and want it so bad -- it will appear as a mirage -- sort of like the Pro Stock Truck Fans and those same spectators.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2008
larrydavis427 larrydavis427 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,688
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by competition
Larry, if you look long enough at something and want it so bad -- it will appear as a mirage -- sort of like the Pro Stock Truck Fans and those same spectators.
To many nitro fans don't face the fact that drag racing is a diversity of different types of racing cars. They are just a part of it. Yes, Funny is the most popular but it is not because they are the best racers or the most exciting class. The media and Nhra fight desperately to make people believe these nitro classes are the best. Advertising and showing their recks and explosions other and other. The endless big billing puts them at the top. Yet, PS, PM and Bikes are still very popular. Can you imagine where they be with a level playing field. Without the other classes nitro would die. Comparing nitro to Pro Stock is a little like comparing fake wrestling with real wrestling. Yes, I like nitro but realize they are not the true Kings.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asher, crazy talk, nhra, up front

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.