CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
The Pro Stock bikes and cars put on the best show. The last session of TF was boring. Just telling it like it is.
The PS bikes and cars put on a good show alright, and indeed the last TF session was boring. You are correct; PS cars don't grenade nearly as often as their nitro counterparts.

Now that we've agreed upon that, what's the solution, Larry?

1) Eliminate the nitro classes from ESPN2 coverage
2) Eliminate the nitro classes from NHRA racing completely
3) Race nitro classes on Friday, with separate TV coverage, so Saturday and Sunday can be devoted exclusively to Pro Stock racing with no risk of a nitro oildown
4) Ratchet back the nitro classes to approximately 2000 HP, which in itself will eliminate the majority of oildowns
5) Fine the teams $10,000 per oildown
6) Fine the driver 50 points per oildown
7) Instant disqualification for any nitro driver that oils the track
8) Don't bother to clean it up; just run the cars anyway.

One of the above should take care of fans having to wait for the track to be cleaned before the Pro Stockers can run. As for the TV coverage, first, today was live coverage, unlike all the other races where delays can be edited out. And the only thing left out of today's coverage was the last 2-3 pairs of that boring Top Fuel session you mentioned.

For what it's worth, I was about to comment on the excellent ESPN Pro Stock coverage today, and the quality time they spent talking to Bob Glidden.

Smile, Larry. It ain't all bad. Take a leak and grab a hot dog if you're at the track, the next time somebody greases it. By the time you get back to the stands, Edwards and Anderson will be waiting for you.
Old 09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
if there would have been some fire it could have almost been like a funny car. lol

oil downs are just a oart of it. they don't do it because they can. if you want to watch drag racing without oil downs go to the sand drags, they don't care it oil gets on the dirt. lol
Old 09-06-2010

I wonder if a session or two of Pro Mod qualifying would be entertaining enough to serve as filler during 45 minute oil downs.
Old 09-06-2010
Banned

Quote:
The PS bikes and cars put on a good show alright, and indeed the last TF session was boring. You are correct; PS cars don't grenade nearly as often as their nitro counterparts.

3) Race nitro classes on Friday, with separate TV coverage, so Saturday and Sunday can be devoted exclusively to Pro Stock racing with no risk of a nitro oildown
4) Ratchet back the nitro classes to approximately 2000 HP, which in itself will eliminate the majority of oildowns

One of the above should take care of fans having to wait for the track to be cleaned before the Pro Stockers can run. As for the TV coverage, first, today was live coverage, unlike all the other races where delays can be edited out. And the only thing left out of today's coverage was the last 2-3 pairs of that boring Top Fuel session you mentioned.

For what it's worth, I was about to comment on the excellent ESPN Pro Stock coverage today, and the quality time they spent talking to Bob Glidden.

Smile, Larry. It ain't all bad. Take a leak and grab a hot dog if you're at the track, the next time somebody greases it. By the time you get back to the stands, Edwards and Anderson will be waiting for you.
Number 7 might be a good ideal. Your disqualified from the race that day. If you don't get off the center of the track your also fined. Could they put a oil proof diaper on them??
Old 09-06-2010

Quote:

hah, i'm down with #8 , hey look at the Pro Mod cars, it looks like they're running on an oil-downed track every time they run... bet they could handle oil on the track better than anyone... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreds1 View Post
I wonder if a session or two of Pro Mod qualifying would be entertaining enough to serve as filler during 45 minute oil downs.
oh most definitely... i think Pro Mod is 2nd only to Nitro as far as exciting for the spectators, fans, 'n armchair viewers...
Old 09-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
Number 7 might be a good ideal. Your disqualified from the race that day. If you don't get off the center of the track your also fined. Could they put a oil proof diaper on them??
Larry, I know we rag on you because of your penchant for Pro Stock, but seriously, I don't think it's that big of a problem. I don't recall seeing one grenade from anyone today - just one blower pop from one of the T/F cars which apparently didn't spill anything. Coverage wasn't delayed and the race finished up right on time.

All those suggestions of mine, obviously, were tongue-in-cheek. You can't DQ a driver/team for a part failure or a crew error, unless it's a problem that repeats itself (Terry Haddock, Phoenix) where NHRA grew weary of his constant oildowns and finally tossed him out.
Old 09-06-2010
Banned

Talking No Oil Downs From Horizonal Oil Derricks!!

Quote:
Larry, I know we rag on you because of your penchant for Pro Stock, but seriously, I don't think it's that big of a problem. I don't recall seeing one grenade from anyone today - just one blower pop from one of the T/F cars which apparently didn't spill anything. Coverage wasn't delayed and the race finished up right on time.

All those suggestions of mine, obviously, were tongue-in-cheek. You can't DQ a driver/team for a part failure or a crew error, unless it's a problem that repeats itself (Terry Haddock, Phoenix) where NHRA grew weary of his constant oildowns and finally tossed him out.
I've got to admit it, I didn't see one oil down in eliminations from the horizonal oil derricks. Great job nitro. That's why the race finished before 5.00 pm for a change. Now for 50 minutes between rounds. Naturally the Real Kings of quarter mile racing had none. That's Pro Stock for those who are uneducated.
Closed Thread

Tags
crazy talk