CompetitionPlus.com Forum  

Go Back   CompetitionPlus.com Forum > NHRA

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2010

I was truely shocked to see that Larry found something wrong, so out of character. Personally I turned on espn3, plugged in a fm transmitter and tuned in all my stereos in my house and went along with my daily things and was absolutely entertained. when something that I wanted to watch I could go to my computer and watch it, not letting the telecast dictate my day.
Old 11-15-2010

Default ESPN holding true to form

It seems like the coverage was typical of ESPN.
The change from 3 hours to 2 1/2 is probably because ESPN charges more than ESPN 2 does for advertising & you get 1/2 hour less for the same money. Look at the advertisers & you will see they are a lot of times more closely related to the demographic that those putting on the show THINK want to see more of a certain class. Haven't you noticed quite a few Harley-Davidson commercials. If Dodge & GM bought more time they would have had more P/S coverage. Not as much Ford (This Show) because it was all about Force who is their flagship race team & he had the potential to win. Winning the 15th Championship also gives the impression that they are consistently the best. Henry Ford III thought it was important enough to be there in person hanging out with them. Ford also buys time for Force by supplying vehicles & support to NHRA. Every Fuel car has a "Black Box" on them that Ford developed & paid for. Even small things like holding a drink with the label showing is not an accident. You won't see a sponsor on a car or bike that the major sponsors do not approve. As far as interviews go those that have sponsors that advertise with ESPN will have a better chance of getting more air time. Not fair - just fact!
All you have to do is look at ESPN's advertisements about themselves to see what they think people like & what their intelligence level is. Apparently having no one in their organization at the planning & production level (ESPN even more than ESPN 2) that understands drag racing they choose to beat to death over & over what they believe to be "Human Interest" stories as more important to the unwashed masses than the competition.
Knowing that there were three championships left to be determined & really only two the programming most likely was not totally pre-set. The one thing that seems to be constant in ESPN's coverage is that they enjoy showing the highs & especially the lows (Constant returning to Matt's misery) more than the actual racing footage. It is hard to blame this on NHRA as they have nothing to do with the production of the show.
In the end this show is more about entertainment than anything else. The Sportsman coverage actually has a lot more race coverage per viewing minute, but it is probably not as appealing to as large number of viewers & that is what sells product on a large scale. No matter what a lot of us think we are not going to change their minds & it is a whole lot better than seeing a taped program 3 or 4 weeks later at 2 AM.
Old 11-15-2010

Larry,

What you seem to never fully understand is the television broadcast is put together to create a "show". It is designed to entertain the masses that for the most part never actually go to a race in person. To do this there has to be drama, visual stimulation, and great choreography from the producers and the commentators.

The T.V. broadcast is not there to support the diehards like yourself. Your already hooked, and no matter how many times you cry your going to give up following NHRA championship drag racing if they don't give you what you want on the broadcast, your not! NHRA knows this, ESPN knows this, and thats why you get a show that will sell to the people that are not lifer's but want to be entertained by a motor sport show.

Drag Racing comes across on the television about half of what it's all about in person. Drag racing is a two part stimulation effect. First is the direct sensory overloads. The sound of the machines, the smell of the burning rubber and fuels, and lastly and probably most importantly the feel from the vibrations that transmit through your whole body. The second is the thrill of the competition, the winning. The first can't be translated through the T.V. screen. So they have to manufacture a show one that involves getting the viewers involved in a story of the competition. Thus we have a great one this year about a 61 year old who happens to be the greatest racer in the history of the sport making a come back from devastating injuries three years ago to claim another championship against all odds!

Pro stock, while somewhat interesting to watch because of the close racing, is relatively boring on the television. No flames! No explosions. No cars out of shape smoking the tires. Just two cars going down the track in a straight line and one wins! Not much to build on for the casual observing motor sport watcher to become entertained with. ESPN does a pretty good job with what they have to work with as far as P.S. and P.S.B. are concerned. Thank goodness for in car cameras in P.S. or you would have almost no visual stimulation. P.S.B. at least has the since of danger because they are on a motorcycle going almost 200 mph with nothing to protect them but some leathers and helmet. Now you and I know that it is rare for them to have a get off but to the casual observer it is stimulating thinking of what might happen if the ride goes wrong.

Larry please try to understand that what you love about Pro Stock really can't be translated to the masses in a television broadcast. They can't show the engine builders spending millions of dollars and 10's of thousands of hours making horsepower at the shop. It can't be explained well enough that a missed shift by a 100 rpm's can make the difference between a winning run and a losing run to make it interesting to the casual observer. Not to mention the reaction times that it takes to win. All this is to miniscule for the casual observer to grasp, thus unfortunately the broadcast is what it is, "entertainment for the uniformed", and will never be entertaining to you the die hard fan who expects to see every burnout and run from the Pro Stockers. It's just not good T.V. for the masses!

Myself I like all drag racing and have raced Brackets and the super classes for many years. I wish These classes were more spectator friendly but they are not. If you haven't ever done it yourself you can't get much out of watching it. Thank goodness there are 10's of thousands of us who have participated so we can spectate with enthusiasm. Other wise there would be nobody watching these classes.

S/C Racer
Old 11-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydavis427 View Post
You could have called the coverage of The Finals at Pomona The John Force Show!! Redundately showing Forces Dallas crash, hospital stay, his philosophies on things from his football days to his courage and successes. His over coverage of going in front of the stands. His interviews Over and Over!! Yet they skipped two rounds of coverage of Pro Stock!! They backed up on the coverage and showed 2 pair of PSs in the first round, total time about 30 seconds. The second round coverage of Pro Stock lasted maybe 1 and 1/2 minutes in break neck speed. Thank you NHRA to the PS fans, sponsors and racers. Then there was John Hagen Sulking at the top end of the track.. My PS friends at the house were a mixture of embarassment and laugher watching Hagan's Head down looking devastated. They showed Hagen continue to sulk like a child over and over. ESPN and NHRA Please!! Finally Hagen said "I can't hold my head down and sulk." Perhaps good acting?? The coverage had a lot of good drama but ESPN you couldn't stop repeating a good thing!!
It's Matt Hagan FYI...And second he wasn't 'crying' he was pissed cause he gave the title away...Racing needs guys like Hagan,Kyle Busch etc who put some emotion into the sport instead of these soul less robots who just thank their sponsors and tow the company line
Old 11-15-2010
Banned

Default 100% Wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/C Racer View Post
Larry,

What you seem to never fully understand is the television broadcast is put together to create a "show". It is designed to entertain the masses that for the most part never actually go to a race in person. To do this there has to be drama, visual stimulation, and great choreography from the producers and the commentators.

The T.V. broadcast is not there to support the diehards like yourself. Your already hooked, and no matter how many times you cry your going to give up following NHRA championship drag racing if they don't give you what you want on the broadcast, your not! NHRA knows this, ESPN knows this, and thats why you get a show that will sell to the people that are not lifer's but want to be entertained by a motor sport show.

Drag Racing comes across on the television about half of what it's all about in person. Drag racing is a two part stimulation effect. First is the direct sensory overloads. The sound of the machines, the smell of the burning rubber and fuels, and lastly and probably most importantly the feel from the vibrations that transmit through your whole body. The second is the thrill of the competition, the winning. The first can't be translated through the T.V. screen. So they have to manufacture a show one that involves getting the viewers involved in a story of the competition. Thus we have a great one this year about a 61 year old who happens to be the greatest racer in the history of the sport making a come back from devastating injuries three years ago to claim another championship against all odds!

Pro stock, while somewhat interesting to watch because of the close racing, is relatively boring on the television. No flames! No explosions. No cars out of shape smoking the tires. Just two cars going down the track in a straight line and one wins! Not much to build on for the casual observing motor sport watcher to become entertained with. ESPN does a pretty good job with what they have to work with as far as P.S. and P.S.B. are concerned. Thank goodness for in car cameras in P.S. or you would have almost no visual stimulation. P.S.B. at least has the since of danger because they are on a motorcycle going almost 200 mph with nothing to protect them but some leathers and helmet. Now you and I know that it is rare for them to have a get off but to the casual observer it is stimulating thinking of what might happen if the ride goes wrong.

Larry please try to understand that what you love about Pro Stock really can't be translated to the masses in a television broadcast. They can't show the engine builders spending millions of dollars and 10's of thousands of hours making horsepower at the shop. It can't be explained well enough that a missed shift by a 100 rpm's can make the difference between a winning run and a losing run to make it interesting to the casual observer. Not to mention the reaction times that it takes to win. All this is to miniscule for the casual observer to grasp, thus unfortunately the broadcast is what it is, "entertainment for the uniformed", and will never be entertaining to you the die hard fan who expects to see every burnout and run from the Pro Stockers. It's just not good T.V. for the masses!

Myself I like all drag racing and have raced Brackets and the super classes for many years. I wish These classes were more spectator friendly but they are not. If you haven't ever done it yourself you can't get much out of watching it. Thank goodness there are 10's of thousands of us who have participated so we can spectate with enthusiasm. Other wise there would be nobody watching these classes.

S/C Racer
You are 100% Wrong!! NHRA has always been the left coast nitro gang. NHRA has decided to sell nitro over the years. A real Brookyln Bridge job. If people are educated on the greatness of Pro Stock it could be as popular as Funny car.
Old 11-15-2010

Beautiful post, SC Racer. Someone should stick it. I've tried to convey that message in the past but I get frustrated, and I'm not a wordsmith in the first place.

Force deserved his 30-minute sideshow. Hagen didn't deserve his 30 minutes of coverage showing the aftermath of what had to have been a devastating loss. And to be fair, there IS a contingency of people that like watching the PS cars race. I enjoy watching them myself - a lot more than I enjoy watching a crushed young racer who just wanted to be left alone for awhile. Round 1 PS could have been covered in five minutes...and Larry would be much happier today.
Old 11-15-2010

I thought it was pretty lousy that with the qualifying show and the eliminations show, they couldn't even have enough class to axe one of those stupid "ice in your veins" segments, to take a moment to mention Bob Glidden's incident. Bob is only a pioneer and legend of the sport. But I guess the people that helped build this sport, really do not matter anymore.
Old 11-15-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Labs View Post
I thought it was pretty lousy that with the qualifying show and the eliminations show, they couldn't even have enough class to axe one of those stupid "ice in your veins" segments, to take a moment to mention Bob Glidden's incident. Bob is only a pioneer and legend of the sport. But I guess the people that helped build this sport, really do not matter anymore.
Well said Dave Labs. This stupid "ice in your veins" is silly stuff. Someone just said on this post that John Force is the greatest racer in our sports history. That person forgot the great Bob Glidden!!
Old 11-15-2010

great comeback for BG...NOT SURE IF HE WILL RETURN IN 2011...ALSO,PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE OTHER GREAT PIONEERS, GRUMPY, SOX/MARTIN/LANDY/BAGSHAW/and many more!
Old 11-15-2010

I didnt watch any of the qualifying shows, but got to sunday and even after I read the results here I was still riveted to the show, I think it was the best effort all season.

Tags
crazy talk